2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

it won't matter a great deal who we have in goals if we defend like we did last season,the defence as a whole needs to seriously up there game and not leave it to the goalkeeper to carry the can.im not a fan of twardzik but he was made the scapegoat last season which was pretty poor considering there were guys in the team that were making umpteen howlers throughout the season.

my point is that we can be well set up to minimise the threat to Dan from cross balls, provided that we set up to play essentially in a counter attacking style .

All of which will help any keeper

To do that our 2 full backs, whoever they've been, need to stick to their wings and cut out avoidable crosses and they simply haven't been doing that. Whether thats down to poor positional sense or playing to instructions, Idon't know. Also our central midfield need to play further up the field again to minimise cross balls.

From the BBC Gossip Column

Motherwell boss Ian Baraclough is continuing his search for a goalkeeper to challenge Dan Twardzik after former Leeds keeper Dan Atkinson failed to win a deal at Fir Park.

However as they also reported Skippy's return was going to be scuppered by a bid from China, I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

I hope I'm not alone in thinking maybe having a player like Skippy in the team, someone who thinks and sees things a few seconds ahead would be the ideal foil for a certain James McFadden?

I think a lot of where he appeared to fall short was down to those around not anticipating him and being anywhere near the same wavelength a couple of seasons back. The six months before he benefitted from having Ojamma in the team. Obviously it would be a bit of a risk and could only be facilitated on a pay as you play type arrangement.

It would offer a creative option in midfield many say we lack and cover (albeit aging) for our current central midfield/winger lineup.

Helmet on

• Like 2

No helmet needed, its just getting a bit like people who still throw a ball for their 15 year old dog, in the hope that he'll spring after it like he used to.

Every time he gets dragged out in the hope he'll do something he cant anymore, it changes what they are remembered for.

Let it lie...he isn't old in real terms, but his physiology is.

• Like 1

I hope I'm not alone in thinking maybe having a player like Skippy in the team, someone who thinks and sees things a few seconds ahead would be the ideal foil for a certain James McFadden?

I think a lot of where he appeared to fall short was down to those around not anticipating him and being anywhere near the same wavelength a couple of seasons back. The six months before he benefitted from having Ojamma in the team. Obviously it would be a bit of a risk and could only be facilitated on a pay as you play type arrangement.

It would offer a creative option in midfield many say we lack and cover (albeit aging) for our current central midfield/winger lineup.

Helmet on

Definitely merit in that ideal. My old fella has been waxing lyrical more or less word for word for months! Me? As much as I was an advocate of having him in the squad last season (wager we wouldn't have plummed the depths we did had we taken the chance) despite I and others being told there is no place for sentiment & Josh Law was a better prospect... I'm afraid his time at the top level has passed him by given his injury curse. Shame.

Understanding his age, he'll feel he has something to offer at whatever level, I'd have him make his way in coaching at ours.

despite I and others being told there is no place for sentiment & Josh Law was a better prospect...

This appears to be an oft-quoted line, but did this actually happen? I cannot remember this at all.

I don't think it was ever said. I know, at the time, I said I'd rather we spent a basic wage in bringing Law in, than spending top dollar, in Motherwell terms, on an injury-prone 30-something.

Josh Law, despite not living up to his early promise (first 20 minutes against Stjarnan that equates to!), contributed 10x more last season than what James McFadden did for St. Johnstone, and what, IMO, he would have done for Motherwell. That's not praise for Law either, he was piss poor for a fair chunk of the season.

As Al B said, let it lie. Signing James McFadden would be absolute madness, and the equivalent of pissing money down the drain.

No helmet needed, its just getting a bit like people who still throw a ball for their 15 year old dog, in the hope that he'll spring after it like he used to.

Every time he gets dragged out in the hope he'll do something he cant anymore, it changes what they are remembered for.

Let it lie...he isn't old in real terms, but his physiology is.

Pretty accurate analogy.

I believe his St Johnstone sojourn last season cemented a number of people's opinions and made our decision not to pursue a insightful one.

There's merit to the dog/ball analogy but also it could be argued he went to another team where there was nobody on his wavelength. However to be fair, a professional footballer of his pedigree should be able to adapt.

Nicky Law anyone? :keeporder:

There is also the issue of the high level of utter brain donors who would bawl and scream and shout at the dog when he didn't gracefully catch it mid-backflip.

I have family in Perth who summed up McFadden in a nutshell. They said:

"Every 5 or 6 games or so, he'd be the best player i've ever seen for 10 minutes"

Sad thing is, other gifted mavericks who have found themselves effectively done once they're past 30 have pretty much done it to themselves. Think of Gascoigne or Best. By all accounts, McFadden is pretty professional. Injuries have simply taken their toll on a player who was never blessed with pace to start with...

I don't think it was ever said. I know, at the time, I said I'd rather we spent a basic wage in bringing Law in, than spending top dollar, in Motherwell terms, on an injury-prone 30-something.

Josh Law, despite not living up to his early promise (first 20 minutes against Stjarnan that equates to!), contributed 10x more last season than what James McFadden did for St. Johnstone, and what, IMO, he would have done for Motherwell. That's not praise for Law either, he was piss poor for a fair chunk of the season.

As Al B said, let it lie. Signing James McFadden would be absolute madness, and the equivalent of pissing money down the drain.

I don't think Law's ability was the main thing rather that we had signed a right back (that is where he played for his dad) when we already had 3 guys who could play there on the books; Reid, Kerr and Ramsden. Then McCall trying to play him as a forward it quickly became apparent he didn't have the skill to play that role which brings up the question of why we signed him in the first place (McCall's laziness, jobs for pals etc BTW could all be tossed at signing Faddy after his shite season the year before)

Josh Law was the obvious scapegoat for all the frustration at having almost a team of guys contributing nothing but clogging the pay roll, Lawson being the other target.

Fair play to Josh though because he has been more than decent at right back, he could improve his defending. Even if Luke Watt supplants him this season he is still useful enough to come on for Ainsworth if he is having an off day, not bothering his arse as he does more than anyone would like.

I think Faddy has more chance of finding a home at the likes of Falkirk or QoS than Fir Park these days.

Sorry to be padantic but Qos have a plastic pitch so he wouldn't join them, but sadly I agree with you that that would probably be his best level.

If I was St Mirren or Falkirk, I would be chasing his signature. The experience and quality he has could really make the difference in pushing for the championship title/play-off place, especially in what will be a tough league with rangers & hibs there.

If hes fit of course.

I think Faddy has more chance of finding a home at the likes of Falkirk or QoS than Fir Park these days.[/quote

Sorry to be padantic but Qos have a plastic pitch so he wouldn't join them, but sadly I agree with you that that would probably be his best level.

If I was St Mirren or Falkirk, I would be chasing his signature. The experience and quality he has could really make the difference in pushing for the championship title/play-off place, especially in what will be a tough league with rangers & hibs there.

If hes fit of course.

To continue the pedantic theme, Falkirk have a plastic pitch as well.

I think his best idea would be to chuck it all together. He was good to now be languishing in the Scottish lower leagues.

To continue the pedantic theme, Falkirk have a plastic pitch as well.

I think his best idea would be to chuck it all together. He was good to now be languishing in the Scottish lower leagues.

Didn't realise they had a plastic pitch aswell to be honest.