2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Given that Baraclough has spent virtually all close-season saying that the likes of Dom Thomas will get a chance then I've no reason to doubt him.

In answer to your question though, Thomas will develop by moving on from 10 - 15 min cameos to getting 25 - 30 min stints in games and depending on how he fares you might see him start with some regularity after that, rotating with Ainsworth more than likely. Chucking him in away from home in the opening game of the season against a physical side isn't going to help him develop all it does is heap expectation on him. As Melvin says above, if we were at home vs Hamilton or Thistle on Saturday I'm pretty sure he'd have been in with a shout.

Similarly in the case of Chalmers being played out of position? He's indicated he can play at centre half and left midfield as well as his preferred left back. Going out on a limb I'd suggest the reason that he'd be playing there in the pre-season games was to see if he was reasonably comfortable there. We know he can play left back, that's the position we signed him for after all. Horses for courses and that.

Personally, I dont think we are doing ourselves any favours by having Thomas playing only 15-20 minutes in games for another half/ three-quarters of a season. The boy is 19 going on 20 and if he is going to go far in the game then we should be looking for him to have a positive impact this season and be looking to establish himself as a first team player next season, when he will be 21.

It might sound harsh however if we are going to operate as a commercial entity, we should be ensuring that we create players able to withstand game pressure and perform - giving them sell on value.

I don't believe that we are doing ourselves or Thomas any favours if we see him as only a bit part player for another season and a half. I'm sure the club will be well aware that we will get mximum sell-on value when he is around the age of 23/24 at a club like Motherwell.

It's important that we create as rounded a player by that point as possible - that isnt always achieved by wrapping people in cotton wool.

I'm not suggesting Bara will treat him like that, more suggesting that I think you are doing Thomas and other young players like him a slight injustice by eeking out appearance minutes.

We need a more rugged player in there vs a physical side away from home in order to help take something from the game. Think it's as simple as that. If we are chasing the game near the end then I have no doubt we'll see Thomas on.

Sometimes people read too much into things, I think

Personally, I dont think we are doing ourselves any favours by having Thomas playing only 15-20 minutes in games for another half/ three-quarters of a season. The boy is 19 going on 20 and if he is going to go far in the game then we should be looking for him to have a positive impact this season and be looking to establish himself as a first team player next season, when he will be 21.

It might sound harsh however if we are going to operate as a commercial entity, we should be ensuring that we create players able to withstand game pressure and perform - giving them sell on value.

I don't believe that we are doing ourselves or Thomas any favours if we see him as only a bit part player for another season and a half. I'm sure the club will be well aware that we will get mximum sell-on value when he is around the age of 23/24 at a club like Motherwell.

It's important that we create as rounded a player by that point as possible - that isnt always achieved by wrapping people in cotton wool.

I'm not suggesting Bara will treat him like that, more suggesting that I think you are doing Thomas and other young players like him a slight injustice by eeking out appearance minutes.

I think you're mis-interpreting what I'm saying. Or maybe not, who knows. I'm not saying we'll treat Dom Thomas or any of the other young players as bit part players. What I'm saying is that just because they're not getting chucked in to the team for the first game of the season away to Inverness doesn't preclude them from having significant involvement over the course of the season, the best way for them to develop is to be integrated into the team and justify their selection as starters.

Similarly, starting with Chalmers on the left of midfield away from home if the manager feels that tactically speaking he needs more physicality in a specific game then I'm fine with that.

Absolutely none of what I posted is a slight on any of the younger players. It's simply an acknowledgement that we're looking at running a smaller squad over the course of a season and we'll see those young players being rotated and given game time in appropriate games.

The point I think that was being made there was that in your original post, Dave, you suggested we hadn't done anything to address the issue of an aging left back. As you admit in this post, we have attempted to do so with the signing of Chalmers...

I don't see Joe Chalmers displacing Stevie Hammell straight away, although I might be totally wrong in that assumption. I would expect he'll fill in at LB from time to time to see if he'll make the grade and take over in time. He might make it and he might not. The impression I have is that he won't be our first choice LB.

I don't see Joe Chalmers displacing Stevie Hammell straight away, although I might be totally wrong in that assumption. I would expect he'll fill in at LB from time to time to see if he'll make the grade and take over in time. He might make it and he might not. The impression I have is that he won't be our first choice LB.

Not this season. Next season? Possibly...

Good choice by the club. Jury is out on Moore at the moment and would be 5th choice striker at fir park

He's only 5 th choice because we haven't got 6 strikers, sad he got injured when he did but he's better off elsewhere to see if he's on a position to regain form and fitness

On the Bolger KB. From reading his statement it'd seem from his wording ("yes, there was a bid on the table from Motherwell") that this would have been another deal where we'd have been paying a (presumably small) fee. Suggests there's still some budget kicking about for us to move onto an alternate.