2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

joe shaughnessy has also been released by the dons, an answer to our right back situation if none of our current 18 right backs seem to do? he looked like a decent prospect until last season when he fell out of favour

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/future-of-motherwell-four-not-decided-206910n.126115899

Future of Motherwell four not decided

MOTHERWELL have yet to pull the plug on any out-of-contract players - despite reports claiming four are set to be released.

scott_0.jpg
Scott MullenGroup Sports Writer
Friday 15/05/2015
26118172.jpg
Motherwell starlet Lee Erwin is attracting attention from big-name clubs

Speculation began to spread yesterday that Simon Ramsden, Stuart Carswell, Iain Vigurs and Paul Lawson were all on their way out of Fir Park this summer.

The talk stemmed from the quartet being listed on PFA Scotland's player availability list for next season.

Ramsden has played 24 games for Well this season, Carswell 20, Vigurs 15 and Lawson just four after being plagued with injury.

But SportTimes understands that Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough has yet to tell any of his 17 out-of-contract players that their time in claret and amber is up.

It is believed that the Lanarkshire club are focusing efforts on securing their SPFL Premiership status first of all before exploring the situation of all players looking for a new deal.

However, we can reveal the club are waiting to hear back from top talent Lee Erwin over a new contract.

Manager Baraclough said earlier this week that he had hoped a deal would be done soon for the 21-year-old forward, who is beginning to attract attention from big name clubs.

Celtic were the latest potential suitors believed to have an interest in the Overton man, along with Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United.

Erwin's contract is also up in the summer, with Well in line to land a sizeable development fee if he moves on.

But the Lanarkshire club are still hopeful the former Scotland Under-19 internationalist will put pen to paper soon to stay at Motherwell.

Speaking to SportTimes last month, Erwin told how he believed Fir Park was the place to be for him to develop.

He said: "I'm now just trying to play as many games as I can and help the team out with my performances. I want to make sure Motherwell stay in the Premiership and take it from there.

"In my opinion, this is the right place for me to be, definitely. I'm a local lad and live just five minutes from Fir Park. I have been here for nine years and it's been good for me.

"I've grown up watching the first team and it feels like a family here to me."

Doing a lot of the dirty work from my vantage point, he is the first player since Steve Jennings with the ability to get us out quickly in similar positions.

Agree with this 100%

Pearson does a lot of work for the team, a lot of running, breaking up and some of the forward passes he makes (take note Lasley) change the game in an instant.

Not been a 10/10 every game but very solid. Not honking.

• Like 1

MOTHERWELL have yet to pull the plug on any out-of-contract players - despite reports claiming four are set to be released.

"I've grown up watching the first team and it feels like a family here to me."

It's a bit ironic that the story was lifted from here, put in the paper, then posted on here....

(Although it did clarify the situation to be fair)

Of course he could be looking for one last reasonable pay deal.

For all the talk about Erwin, I thought a lot of the clubs reported to be at the Killie game would have been looking at Mcdonald. He's tried and tested and looks as though he can still do a job

If we hang on to Erwin, we need to find him a partner. Skippy has been the ideal foil for him, but I'd be surprised if we hold on to him even if we stay up. When Sutton plays, Big Lee has to play out wide which isn't his best position.

In the U20s, he had a great partnership with Moore, so maybe that's a possibility, but even then I think we'd still need someone more experienced to guide them. Clarkson might fit that bill, but maybe we need someone a bit more vocal to replace Skippy as the moaning git up front.

25 quid would be my maximum bid for Erwin. Plays like he has brain damage. A team of Tony Strakers, that's what we need.

Guy was the only thing that resembled decent today.

He has a long way to go but you can't fault the boy for effort