2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

For what it's worth going by Karanka's comments here I'd imagine that assuming Ripley's playing regularly for us that the initial 6 months would be extended to a season if that's what we're after.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/boro-tie-down-young-goalkeeper-9659286

Given Long seems to have been the manager's preferred choice then he's brought in a pretty equivalent alternative in so much as Ripley & Long were part of the same England u20s team, roughly the same age etc. Indeed if you look at his Transfermarkt page then George Long is listed in the 'comparable players' section. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/connor-ripley/profil/spieler/163531. There's also the fact he's played with Laing and Kennedy at u20 international level and knows McManus & McDonald from Boro, which hadn't registered with me until he mentioned in his interview.

If you can be bothered there's a few YouTube videos up of that England u20s team & also some Boro u21s vs Chelsea u21s games that he features in.

17 top team appearances for Ripley. Another unknown quantity. Not long though till we find out though!

Will be interesting to see if he starts ahead of Twardzik tomorrow. George Long at least had some first team experience where as Ripley is really a novice.

Delighted to get the new keeper. A goalie who looks to have a bit of presence about him and an obvious talent, you don't play for England at U/19 & 20 without it.

I know there's a lot of Twardzic lovers out there and I think he's a good guy to have as a reserve, but he inspires no confidence in our defence.

Very positive about the season, bring it on!!

Delighted to get the new keeper. A goalie who looks to have a bit of presence about him and an obvious talent, you don't play for England at U/19 & 20 without it.

I know there's a lot of Twardzic lovers out there and I think he's a good guy to have as a reserve, but he inspires no confidence in our defence.

Very positive about the season, bring it on!!

With those credentials, he might even be allowed 2 games to settle in.

• Like 1

He must start tomorrow.

Might be a bit too soon for a start tomorrow, but next week yes he will, if he is potentially as good as the info on him suggests he is not here to sit on the bench. And let's be honest Twardzik is not very good so he will be our 1st choice as long as he is fit and still at Fir park

Goalkeepers with names beginning with R, generally a good sign. Ronnie, Ruddy, Randolph, I like it!

Rough, mmmmm, may have to rethink that.

Good luck to the lad, hope it goes well for both him and us when he gets his chance.

One thing Baraclough seems to have about him is man management, it would be quite a slight if Connor gets a start ahead of Dan with seeing him in training .... what once?

All that would do is give Dan quite the hump with the club, management and no doubt affect his motivation. Not an ideal situation to have when he may be called upon to step on occasion over the course of the season in if he does find himself as number 2 and in January if the loan is not extended.

• Like 1

One thing Baraclough seems to have about him is man management, it would be quite a slight if Connor gets a start ahead of Dan with seeing him in training .... what once?

A tough call for the manager but thats what he's paid for. He has to go with the best option for the team.

While it's not unreasonable for the fans to think the new keeper is coming in as Number One, Baraclough certainly hasn't played it that way to the media.

Regardless, even if the plan is to make him first choice, I'm not sure he should play tomorrow purely because he might need a few more days just to settle in.

• Like 1

Well if he has played with McDonald and McManus before, if he is sensible he'll have a word with them on the quiet and see if they think he'd cope going in right away without knowing the back line that well and what is character is like. I'd be inclined that the best way to improve is to play in a match and if he is going to be number 1, he plays today. If Dan doesn't like it, tough luck, football can be brutal at times.

I think McManus will have had a fair influence in the Ripley signing. Going back a couple of years, I think he played a part in Hollis being selected over Neilsen.

Hopefully it proves to be a good signing. Clearly he was down our pecking order of targets but he looks to be a big unit of a boy.

Not only do McDonald & McManus know him he's played with Laing & Kennedy as well. The only question should be whether or not he'll be comfortable going straight in after 1 session & by all accounts he was asked that in his interview & his response was "yeah, I want to play games". Though having said that I doubt he'd come out and say "no", wouldn't create much of a first impression would it?

It'd be a bit of a boot in the baws for Dan but only really if he's been told he's #1 which I can't see being the case. What's more likely is he'll have been told "we're looking for another GK. if we don't get someone in, you're playing vs ICT so be prepared." You can read what you like about what that says about Dan's position but I think that was fairly clear when Long arrived.

Either way, there's not a chance Ripley would be here if we hadn't told Boro he'd be first choice as their manager has explicitly said he wants him to get games rather than sit on their first team bench as back-up to their #1.

All that would do is give Dan quite the hump with the club, management and no doubt affect his motivation. Not an ideal situation to have when he may be called upon to step on occasion over the course of the season in if he does find himself as number 2 and in January if the loan is not extended.

IB knows Twardzik is not good enough to be 1st choice keeper that's why Ripley is here, so I don't think Dan will be surprised at not starting. As for his motivation if the Ripley loan ends in January, he has a contract which given his limited talents might have been difficult to get had he been looking for a club, so he has all the motivation he needs ie a regular pay packet.
  • Like 1