2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Agreed. If Pearson is out long term then I believe we need to focus on bringing in a midfielder or 2 rather than another goalie.

Hope the rumour on Pearson injury is just a rumour. I was not at the match but one of my Pals tells me he did not go off straight away which would seem strange if he was to be out for up to 4 months.

If we do sign Samson he'll be the best back up keeper we've had in a long time. He's miles better than Twardzik, Nielsen, Hollis, Meldrum or Corr.

Signing him either means we have enough left in the budget to bolster midfield or we're worried about Ripley leaving in January and being left up shit Creek.

• Like 1

Agreed. If Pearson is out long term then I believe we need to focus on bringing in a midfielder or 2 rather than another goalie.

Hope the rumour on Pearson injury is just a rumour. I was not at the match but one of my Pals tells me he did not go off straight away which would seem strange if he was to be out for up to 4 months.

Correct he stayed on after the tackle and a few minutes later made a pass out wide and noticeably suffered a reaction.he then rather cautiously walked at half time soon after.

Is Pearson's long term injury confirmed?

Gutting is so, such an important player. We can be thankful I support that it has happened within the transfer window as we will definitely need a straight into the team central midfielder to work with Las. Leitch is much more cover for Las than a replacement for Pearson. The opening of a first team place might help us bring in a quality loan deal.

Is Pearson's long term injury confirmed?

Gutting is so, such an important player. We can be thankful I support that it has happened within the transfer window as we will definitely need a straight into the team central midfielder to work with Las. Leitch is much more cover for Las than a replacement for Pearson. The opening of a first team place might help us bring in a quality loan deal.

I believe we're waiting on him getting a scan today.

I'd say his appearances to date. He's due a chance, yes, and I might be proved wrong, but so far hasn't overly impressed.

I was just wondering, at which point in Jack Leitch's short career so far did you decide this?

Was it during his impressive first start in a 4-1 victory against Hearts? Was it his man of the match performance in a 3-3 draw with Celtic when he played beside a full back in central midfield?

Or I'm guessing probably when he played at left back when Hammell, Francis-Angol and Ferguson were injured in a 2-0 defeat to Killie? Or probably some of his other limited game time in the first two months of last season, where established players around him were vastly underperforming, before he got a serious injury in October?

He's not established or proven yet by any means, but claiming on his previous performances is utter nonsense for me. Just being negative for being negatives sake.

• Like 8

If Pearson's injury is a bad one, we needed a midfielder anyway and were in the market for one so on the bright side we're not having to draw up a new list of targets to cover for an injured player. All it might mean is that we have to move things along more quickly.

Connor Grant's name has been mentioned on here and if it were possible, then it might not be the worst option. He knows the players and the management know what he's capable of.

Pretty sure though, as I've said, that the club were already working from a list of midfield targets. Until we get the right player though, I'm happy for Leitch or Cadden to get their chance. Is that not the business model we're using now anyway...?

Please excuse my ignorance but what kind of a player is Cadden? Box to box? Playmaker? Combative?

Only seen him play a few times but looks like an attacking midfielder with a good engine. Drives forward from midfield like Pearson. Looks physically more imposing than Leitch as well...

• Like 1

I was just wondering, at which point in Jack Leitch's short career so far did you decide this?

Was it during his impressive first start in a 4-1 victory against Hearts? Was it his man of the match performance in a 3-3 draw with Celtic when he played beside a full back in central midfield?

Or I'm guessing probably when he played at left back when Hammell, Francis-Angol and Ferguson were injured in a 2-0 defeat to Killie? Or probably some of his other limited game time in the first two months of last season, where established players around him were vastly underperforming, before he got a serious injury in October?

He's not established or proven yet by any means, but claiming on his previous performances is utter nonsense for me. Just being negative for being negatives sake.

If you read my quote above you'll see that I have not written the lad off and said that he's due a chance. What I have written is my assessment to date. You can manipulate statistics or selectively quote examples to prove pretty much anything. I note that you didn't cite the Albion Rovers cup defeat, when he came on as a sub or the 5-1 drubbing at Tannadice the season before last in which he played from the start. Now, there are many factors behind a player's performance in relation to the team's performance and just as you can't attribute the team's defeats to him you also cannot attribute the team's successes to him. I am not simply basing my initial assessment on the Hearts, Celtic, Kilmarnock, Albion Rovers or Dundee United games but over 16/17 appearances. Young players tend to be erratic and have good games and bad games.

Taken over these 16 or 17 appearances first team appearances to date I have doubts if he is going to make it as I wrote. However he is due a chance to prove himself and I wish him good luck in that.

• Like 1

Would be a nightmare if Pearson is out long term. Got the feeling Baraclough was building the team round him.

Hopefully he is OK.

He is key. But if he's out for a while then we'll just have to adapt. Would increase our reliance on Ainsworth and Johnson and the counterattack...

He is key. But if he's out for a while then we'll just have to adapt. Would increase our reliance on Ainsworth and Johnson and the counterattack...

As you've pointed out we've already been completely open about us wanting to add a CM. I do wonder whether the Pearson injury (assuming it will actually keep him out for as long as has been suggested on here) might shift our focus as to the type of CM we're looking to bring in. For no reason other than his age I had got the impression it may well be a more holding style player in the Lasley mould we would have been looking at.

Obviously aware that Baraclough mentioned during an interview that he had been looking ahead to the January window as well, may well be the case that priorities have changed slightly. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Isn't the idea supposed to be a smaller 1st team squad with a view to bringing through more homegrown young players? If that's the case, surely one of those young players will step up in Pearson's absence?

It kind of negates the whole ethos of what we're trying to do if every time a key part of our first team squad gets injured we simply bypass the young lads and head right for a loan deal from down south or something similar.

• Like 2

Isn't the idea supposed to be a smaller 1st team squad with a view to bringing through more homegrown young players? If that's the case, surely one of those young players will step up in Pearson's absence?

It kind of negates the whole ethos of what we're trying to do if every time a key part of our first team squad gets injured we simply bypass the young lads and head right for a loan deal from down south or something similar.

Well it is. Absolutely.

However both the manager and general manager have come out in the past couple of weeks and said "we want to add a Goalkeeper and a Central Midfielder". We brought in the Goalkeeper on Friday so logic dictates we're still in the market for a CM one way or another.

You would have thought that in an ideal world both Cadden and Leitch would be rotating with Pearson and Lasley respectively over the course of the season, maybe stepping in as first choice if there's a slight injury that keeps someone out for a couple of weeks. However, if it is the case that Pearson's out for several months then it leaves us short of a nailed on first team pick and a massively experienced player for a significant chunk of the season. It's a great opportunity for Cadden no question but it's a big ask for him to step into one of our key players shoes.

Out of curiosity, who'd step up from the u20s to back up Cadden if he does nail down that role?