2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Nah definitely not - haven't felt this way (about a new season) for a long while.

Competition and strength throughout the squad - with (dare I say it) quality and not just quantity.

Indeed. Was visiting Northern Ireland this past weekend, and even had a random passing Wrexham fan clock my 'Well jacket and tell me what a great signing Louis Moult was going to be for us!

While there has been some clearing out of the old, and some potentially excellent new signings brought in, it's also good to see that 9 of the starting line-up from the 2nd leg of the play-off are still here. So there is a nice balance of continuity and fresh legs.

Dom Thomas in a more central role has a ilk of ryan Gauld about it, played in similar position and look where he has ended up. I think that role would suit his natural talent in being able to pick out a pass and score some decent goals. Not to bring the debate of bulked up wingers but I'd prefer a stronger defensive midfielder who is as quick going forward at left mid. Could be a great tactical move bringing him on in this position and playing him regularly in that position in the 20s

Please tell me I'm not the only one a tad excited about the potential we have in this current squad?

Trying to remind myself that the squad is pretty similar to the one that ended last season. And while we scudded Hamilton, St Mirren and some championship side at home, we also lost to Accies away and failed to beat Ross County in the run in.

The preparation seems better this season, the manager has had more time to get his ideas across to the players. He seems to have got Ainsworth in the mood.

Weighing it up, not excited. Cautiously optimistic...

• Like 1

The Twitter machine has a young(ish) winger with us on trial, Ryan Brobbel (one tweet and no other mention but it seems to have come from someone with a Boro connection of sorts rather than a random ITK account): https://twitter.com/shaunwilson71/status/628523074187567104

Released by Boro at the end of the season. Interesting if so since I wondered if there might be a school of thought that we're a bit light on the left side with Chalmers having had to step in (and doing a solid job by all accounts it has to be said).

Also goes back to Flow's reply to someone a while back along the lines of "at least" two more to come in, the two being the much discussed GK and CM. May well be the case that we're not simply restricting our recruitment to those positions though.

Edit to add: going by a couple of posts on Boro's forums there were a few people quite surprised he was released with the suggestion he was quite close to breaking into their first team. Make of that what you will.

And there's your trialist there in the u20s this afternoon.

Brobbel looks neat and tidy enough in the u20 YouTube highlights just up. Hot the post as well. Playing no 14 with the shite haircut and wee beard.

What struck me most about the highlights was the height / build of the players. Ainsworth, Trialist excepted all looked to 6 feet and well built too.

I noticed this too. Luke Watt is another that has come through looking physically ready for first team action.

Craigan's interview was also very encouraging in terms of joined up thinking at the club...

• Like 1

This is going to sound ridiculous, but my Director's son is best mates with Brobbel. Was having a chat with him there and he says he's still a bit lightweight but has his head screwed on the right way. Said he did really well with Hartlepool last year; set up some good goals/chances. He won't be a 40 goal a season man but sounds exactly like the young, hungry and eager to impress type of player we're wanting to sign.