2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Nowhere mate, just speculation like everyone else. To me seems likely having seen him in his cameo appearances and on Tuesday, he looks to have little left to offer, particularly at this level.

Ah right, got you.

Yeah, Clarkson is the baffling signing, to be honest, not this Robinson character. Seems the new guy fits a need, Clarkson not so much.

For me it was the sideburns

Took an extra yard for a winger to get round them. But

-Willie McVie- now that was a perm- and nobody danced round the big chap for fear of a wee trip to the Law

Willie McVie's still stoatin about Larkhall. I'll ask him if he's up for a game

If Baraclough keen to play McDonald deeper (or maybe Skippy himself wants that), then that gives us 4 strikers. Which really isn't a huge number as I don't think we have anyone in te U20s close to stepping up.

2 starters and 2 cover.

Seems unlikely, McDonald said that was one of the main reasons he wanted to leave Millwall and was happy to join us. He wanted to move back up front IIRC.

• Like 1

It's possible Clarkson is on a pay as you play type deal. Given his injury issues and us getting our fingers burned with McFadden it would be the wise move.

I've reckoned for a while that could be the case,it would make sense and why the club were willing to sign him up quickly at the start of the transfer window.

If it is the case I don't think he will be earning much this season.

I vote that we just keep adding new players until we get it right. A first team squad of around 100 should just about do it. :ph34r:

Maybe Bara is trying to emulate the legend that was Ian St John. If my memory serves me right he commanded a truly massive squad in his spell as boss at FP

I don't think I've ever seen a reaction to signing a player quite like this, it seems to have just about everyone scratching their heads.

If anything, it shows the lack of faith we as a support have in the manager's judgement, even the Baraclough supporters seem a bit perplexed.

• Like 1

As I said in one of the other threads, I wouldn't be surprised if Clarkson was a bit of an insurance signing in the event that McDonald didn't re-sign (similar situation to Kallum Higginbotham and Faddy I suppose), in terms of a more experienced head upfront.

Ultimately, as much as this signing appears (more than a bit) random, if he can do a job then I'm all for it. I just hope this doesn't mean that we won't see another centre mid or right back. Unless Pearo's injury is progressing better than expected and the feeling is that another midfielder isn't necessary...I've still got huge concerns about running with an ageing Lasley, an (unfortunately) injury prone Pearo, a relatively untested quantity in Leitch, and the enigma that is Jake Taylor however.

• Like 1

Given the context Robinson's signing is peculiar on a purely bodies in basis. Having said that if he's better than what we have (watching his highlights reel he seems to offer something we don't have at the moment) & we're within budget then I'd rather have him in now than get 2 months down the line after the window closes & realise we could have used another striker.

Haven't seen his interview but if Bara's said there will be 'others' in as has been mentioned then surely a CM will be one.

Also, I noticed on Robinson's Transfermrkt profile that he can play wide, I wonder if that's an option http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/theo-robinson/profil/spieler/39514

It was reported yesterday that Fletcher was back in contention so his injury doesn't seem a plausible explanation. I'm inclined to agree with others that it doesn't bode particularly well for Clarkson.

Edit to add: If he's only signed to the end of the season initially then as long as we're not paying him a fortune then it's a fairly low risk acquisition.

If he can play wide then I can see why we brought him in, cover for the forwards while fletcher is out and while skippy covers in midfield, and since our game is based around the wingers (and we know Lionel and Marv will blow hot and cold) he can provide competition there.

Look he seems a decent player nobody really knows what he is like so as long as he plays well and scores goals then I'm fine with it

I don't think anyone is digging at Theo; his strike rate and promise of pace are very welcome.

From my perspective, the club have brought other players much earlier, such as Clarkson, who based on what most have seen so far is not likely to get much gametime and while we don't know the commercials of his deal, it's probably not too unfair to say it would be better having 1 of the wages deployed in the weaker areas.

Transfer strategy

To acquire players on deals long enough to allow them to be sold at a profit as their values increase- earning vast transfer fees from the ones who turn out to be Gareth Bale-esque talent. But we need to reduce the odds - by having lots of players

Roughly translates as" if we give enough monkeys a typewriter, surely there's bound to be one Shakespeare..."

Is it me or does this sound a tad risky?

Transfer strategy has been our big weakness in recent years. If we want to be self financing signing guys like Fletcher, Moult, Kennedy, Marv and Laing is the way forward. Only takes one of them to get sold for a million and it has paid dividends.

We started last season with both Ramsden and Kerr being available for the right back position, they were released and although Law was playing in midfield, he cemented the right back position later in the season.

We now have Law and Reid as the senior pros in this position, with an unproven young player also in contention.

I'm still concerned that after five players playing there in a year, we still don't have a solution.

Only takes one of them to get sold for a million and it has paid dividends.

If we continue playing the way we've started the season we won't be able to get a 6 figure fee for any of our players. Not that unreal a prospect. And then what? How do we pay back Les Hutchinson?

To bring in 'gems' from the lower leagues and try to sell them on isn't a bad idea. But if we bring in too many and start living out with our means (which would appear to be happening) then we are relying on some of them being sold on for big fees. Thats just as risky a strategy as relying on good cup runs and top 6 finishes every year. Which almost seen us go into administration (again).

People going on about us needing a new right back or a new centre mid or whatever. The only 2 things we NEED are:

1 - A team which is good enough to comfortably finish 10th or above - which on paper we already have

2 - Not to go into administration again, and be fucked for a generation like Dunfermline or Rangers