2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

So we're trying to do a Dundee United.

It's worked for them with Robertson and Mackay-Steven. Also Celtic did it with McGeady. I always wonder if we'd have managed the same with Saunders but for injuries.

It's certainly a change of approach. A few times recently we've gone for players not deemed good enough at bigger clubs (Angol, Cummins, Page, Kerr, Thomas and even this season Kennedy and Laing). Be interested to see if looking for the best players from smaller clubs works out better...

Hearing from Craigan and Leitch in recent days, it seems apparent that Watt and Thomas don't have the same maturity and mental strength that Faddy, Clarkson, Pearson and Hammell displayed at 17/18.

Is it fair to compare guys born in the late 90s and early 80s in terms of mindset.

It's a different generation and a different mindset and i'd say it's say it's down to the coaches to adapt and get the best out the players, you can't expect them to be something they're not. There's no way Alex Ferguson treated the likes of Ronaldo and Rio Ferdinand the same way as Bryan Robson or Willie Miller.

I accept that our fans can be impatient, but in my opinion they would a lot more patient with a youngster like Watt than they currently are with the dross which has featured at right back this season. As an example re youngsters, Thomas makes plenty of mistakes when he comes on and the fans don't get on his back. Law gets abuse the moment he steps on the park. Laing was just rank rotten and looked lost in an unfamiliar position.

Most fans round me were disappointed Watt was not first choice at the beginning of the season and are keen for him to come in ASAP. Quite a few go along to the Under 20s and say he is a standout when selected. I honestly believe he is our best prospect (hate that word) and needs to be tested to progress. If not given his chance very soon, there is a danger he will go the way of McHugh and the like. More importantly, we must get the right back position sorted.

I'm one of those fans that thinks he deserves a chance.

He played against Partick last season and stood out. He played well in pre-season. IMO he has been consistent in the U20s this season despite being trusted in different positions. Someone in the club told me he is very composed and just goes out to complete his task. His defensive positioning is much better than Law's and he works very well with Ainsworth.

Still doesn't make it a fact.

yes it does..they see the players day in day out at training etc so obviously they have decided Law is our best option from what we currently have available. I have said it before if players like Watt etc are good enough and ready for the step up then they will get their chance.

What if Kennedy is a better right back than Law, but more useful to the team in the centre of the defence?

Thats why managers and coaches get paid a decent salary to make these decisions based on their judgement of a players ability and where they will be most effective in the team.

I can remember people on here saying Fitzpatrick will be a decent midfielder,Forbes will be a decent player,Twardzik's a fine keeper. Sometimes we need to realise that the reason we're 3rd bottom of the league is because some of our current players are crap. Pure and simple. Josh Law is one of them. Grimshaw is another so is Jake Taylor. That as painfull as it may be is why we are where we are.

Josh Law has been a decent right back and every manager plays him there.

Some folk on here need to realise he's the best we have.

Guy gets far too much stick from the Football manager brigade.

Never played a football management game in my life, but having the odd decent performance every few games shouldn't prevent him getting stick when he's been honking.

Never played a football management game in my life, but having the odd decent performance every few games shouldn't prevent him getting stick when he's been honking.

Exactly how has he been "honking"?

He's been played almost everygame, getting no support when defending most times having to cover 2 men as left exposed on his own.

I don't care how good a right back anyone is no-one can handle 2 v 1.

The manager clearly thinks he's best for that position and sees him regularly in training.

Try backing the guy and giving some encouragement and not stick.

• Like 3

He's been played almost everygame, getting no support when defending most times having to cover 2 men as left exposed on his own.

The manager clearly thinks he's best for that position and sees him regularly in training.

Got to agree that he has had little or no support from the wingers in front of him and his "better" games always coincide with him getting support from in front.

• Like 1

What makes you think I don't give Josh Law any backing when it matters? Can't recall the last time I gave a player in a 'well shirt 'stick'

I can remember people on here saying Fitzpatrick will be a decent midfielder,Forbes will be a decent player,Twardzik's a fine keeper. Sometimes we need to realise that the reason we're 3rd bottom of the league is because some of our current players are crap. Pure and simple. Josh Law is one of them. Grimshaw is another so is Jake Taylor. That as painfull as it may be is why we are where we are.

If McGhee can get Law and Grimshaw playing like he did up at Aberdeen then you will soon change your mind about those 2 at least.

I think it's a bit early to write off Grimshaw.

Josh Law isn't a world beater, he's more like Tom Hately without the set pieces (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

He's very rarely the worst player on show, which admittedly isn't a great honour, but he's apparently the best we've got.

(Seriously though, where is Craig Reid?

:lol: )