2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

If we had 11 players with the attitude of Dougie Imrie we wouldn't be where we are. Maybe it's why Accies have consistently been better than us over the last couple of years as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again Hamilton have recruited better players than we have with a quarter of the money. Fair play to them.

• Like 1

I think UBH was suggesting we could have gone for him when he left ICT for Accies. While he will never go beyond SPFL level, he is a consistent performer and been better than a number of players that have graced the C&A in that time.

While he's not the player to gain qualification in the Europa league he is the sort of guy who will get you into a position to qualify the season before.

• Like 1

I noticed that you didn't debate him on the merits of his argument though. I wouldn't either if I were you, you don't have a leg to stand on...

Okay. Try this :

Scott Macdonald has scored as many goals in 23 SPFL appearances as Dougie Imrie has in 47. His arrival seen us go from a run of 4 points out of a possible 27 to 15/33. He had a pretty obvious positive influence on Lee Erwin, who went on to net us a few hundred thousand pounds.

There's a reason Scott Macdonald has played in the Champions League and Dougie Imrie spent his career bouncing around mediocrity in Scotland.

• Like 1

Okay. Try this :

Scott Macdonald has scored as many goals in 23 SPFL appearances as Dougie Imrie has in 47. His arrival seen us go from a run of 4 points out of a possible 27 to 15/33. He had a pretty obvious positive influence on Lee Erwin, who went on to net us a few hundred thousand pounds.

There's a reason Scott Macdonald has played in the Champions League and Dougie Imrie spent his career bouncing around mediocrity in Scotland.

McDonald certainly has pedigree. But his contributions this season? Negligible...

And before I hear the defence of being played out of position or starved of supply, I'd only ask how that prevents you from finding a team mate 10 yards away with a pass. Or prevents you from controlling a football...

McDonald certainly has pedigree. But his contributions this season? Negligible...

And before I hear the defence of being played out of position or starved of supply, I'd only ask how that prevents you from finding a team mate 10 yards away with a pass. Or prevents you from controlling a football...

If Scott McDonald was playing for The Accies, how would he be getting on?

If Doug Imrie was playing in this Well team, how would he be getting on?

My abiding memory of Imrie was a(Clyde?) game where he swivelled and cracked a volley of his own bar, cause he forgot what way he was shooting .

On a more pertinent note I think Mr McGhee is pushing his luck on the "experimenting and judging the squad" . Ok up to a point but I'm tiring of it.

I won't be sorry to see the three loan players go back. We have good enough players already in the squad.

I think Grimshaw has done ok but would like to see Cadden, Leitch or McLean given some game time so if he were to leave, I'd hope that would be the case.

Taylor, again, I'd rather give our U20 midfielders a shot so he can go.

Ripley, some good games, some bad. Would playing Craig Samson instead noticeably weaken us? Probably not...

I won't be sorry to see the three loan players go back. We have good enough players already in the squad.

While the "have good enough players already in the squad" could be up for debate, I'd agree that the departure of the three loan players wouldn't cause us too many issues.

Ripley - Certainly the best of the three, in my opinion. I think he'll go on to have a decent career in the future, but I don't think we can afford to be the club where he makes all of his mistakes. Without being a big fan of his, I can't see Samson doing any worse, plus he'll bring needed experience at the back.

Grimshaw - Hasn't done a great deal wrong, but feel there's more he could offer. I would look to keep him if we couldn't get a permanent midfield signing sorted in January, as it's an area where we are light.

Taylor - Hide and Seek Champion, 2015. I'll drive him back to Reading myself.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure. Is Samson better than Ripley? Mibbes aye mibbes naw. Taylor - I'd agree. Grimshaw - not bad but no standout.

Central midfield continues to be a weak area for us and it needs fixed PDQ. Mark McGhee said that we need more cover there.