2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Watt and Thomas signed contracts until 2018 recently so I cant see them gling anywhere. I assume you are talking about Cadden and McLean?

I was under the impression that they were under contract as well though wasn't sure of the length of the deal. Also, that was MacLean injured yesterday with a fractured collarbone. Given he missed the start of the season with an injury that's pretty unfortunate.

Either way their frustration is understandable, especially if they've been sold on deals on the basis of them getting first team involvement. Publicly the club have been going on about young players getting their chance and that being our blueprint/strategy then they go and pad the squad out in the manner they have done, you've even had McGhee remark in recent press conferences about the size of the squad. If the younger guys are a bit disillusioned it's not that difficult to see why. Doesn't necessarily mean looking to move on is the right solution though and it's up to the management and coaching staff to sort that out.

There's a lot to be said for the coaching staff setting higher standards, the u20s involvement in the first team shouldn't be tokenist or just getting games on the basis of them being "youth". It's a two way street though, as much as it's fair enough to hear Craigan talk about consistency and maintaining a level of performance to justify the step up equally you have to look at the performance levels of those who actually have the first team jerseys, you've got players in the first XI who have been inconsistent at best and at worst have cost us goals this season yet have been almost ever present. That's where it becomes a question of perspective, if you feel that you're performing better than the guy in front of you but not getting a shot to prove yourself then rightly or wrongly you're going to start questioning your situation.

Taking this season alone Dom Thomas has 11 first team appearances 3 starts and 8 sub, Cadden has 2 sub appearances and Watt has one sub appearance in the cup. I suppose the question is what their expectations are and how realistic they are given we're sitting 11th in the league at the moment. McGhee mentioned in that fairly lengthy interview a couple of weeks back about the possibility of a couple of the u20s going out on loan in January to give them first team games so that they're ready for first team consideration next season I'd be interested to see if that's a route we go down.

I was at a loose end yesterday so went along to the 20s game and based on that both Thomas and Watt (even though he was playing centre half) both looked a significant level above development league football which I suppose you'd hope would be the case given their age and the fact both have first team experience behind them. Cadden had a few notable moments where he was stopped by cynical challenges and MacLean obviously scored a fine free kick. There's definitely a place for them in the squad but I think that's probably dependent on a lot of Baraclough's mistakes being fixed first not to mention us finding a bit of stability in the league.

Admittedly I can only watch the highlights., but most of the names mentioned here have been inconsistent even at the U20s level, never mind stepping up.

I really want to see one or two break through as well, but the added challenge is the fact that number one priority over the next few weeks is to establish a league position nearer the middle of the table.

• Like 1

iv said it before, the reserve league should be brought back as it would develop the youngsters rather than hinder them.

they would be playing against better oppostion than they do currently. ive been to a fair few u20's games (im going tonight as its the well v accies derby at NDP) and most of the players wont make it at the top level as they arent good enough.

only thomas and watt stand out for us at u20 level imo, the others just dont jump out as being anywhere near ready for first team footy (although neither do some of our first team)

That's where it gets more complicated. Is it better for someone like Thomas to get 15 or 20 lower division first team starts, or better for him to get a dozen sub appearances in our team?

I'm not sure.

I think Mark McGhee is right. Dom Thomas seems to be hitting a bit of a plateau in his development now. To move up to the next level he needs to bulk up / toughen up (which he himself admits) and to improve his final ball. Mark McGhee and his lieutenants know the lad far better than we do and you have to trust their judgement.

That's where it gets more complicated. Is it better for someone like Thomas to get 15 or 20 lower division first team starts, or better for him to get a dozen sub appearances in our team?

I'm not sure.

Games all day long, He's getting nowhere with his wee cameo appearances.

Despite the ongoing chat in the Dundee thread I thought it would probably be better to drop this in here. It looks like we're actively trying to extend Grimshaw's deal until the end of the season.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14145378.Motherwell_out_to_extend_Manchester_United_starlet_s_stay_at_Fir_Park/

Sounds good to me. He is getting progressively better and isn't afraid to get stuck in.

Grimshaw's improved a lot over recent weeks, seems to suit the role he's currently playing in. Would be happy to keep him and Ripley to the end of the season.

Can't see us doing much in January mind you, we have a fair amount of deadwood we'd have to move on first.

Twardzik/Samson(pick one)

Craig Reid

Jake Taylor

Louis Laing

Jack Leitch

Wes Fletcher/Theo Robinson/David Clarkson(could punt at least 2 of them)

Could all move on and very few would notice/care. Easier said than done right enough but until we shift some of them on(if possible) then I can't see McGhee having much room to manoeuvre.

McGhee seems to have a plan to turn Laing into a midfielder, so not sure he'll be going anywhere.

I'd be holding on to Fletcher too. If Moult continues his form, our business plan should be to move him on at the end of the season and bring in someone like Fletcher.

Agree that it's unlikely Laing will be going anywhere, not least because he's only what? 5 months into a two year deal and whilst at 22 he's by no means a youngster there's still plenty time for him to develop whether it's as a centre half or as weeyin says as a holding midfielder.

The folk you'd think we'd be looking to move are those coming to the end of their contracts who aren't getting any sort of minutes.

Twardzik, Reid, Robinson, Clarkson, Leitch, Moore.

If we get those six off the books, we won't be any worse off. It would also give us a bit of cash to bring in a couple of good additions. Probably a centre half and midfielder.

Twardzik, Reid, Robinson, Clarkson, Leitch, Moore.

If we get those six off the books, we won't be any worse off. It would also give us a bit of cash to bring in a couple of good additions. Probably a centre half and midfielder.

Even though he's on loan you can probably add Taylor to that list as well. I'd imagine we'd be paying at least part, if not all, of his wage.

If that happened we would be left with 2 first choice strikers, 1 injury prone striker and 1 youth in Mackin who has just had a sub appearance off the bench.....

I would rather keep Clarkson or Robinson for some cover given we play 2 up top.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Presumably Taylor too will be returning down south. We don't want to be left too light up front as injuries and suspensions kick in. So far, Wes Fletcher has proved to be very injury prone.

Aye, on loan.

It was an emergency loan until January as well. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/10/30/craig-reid-joins-st-mirren-on-loan/

Moore's loan to Ayr was only until January too. 4th January it says here http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/07/30/craig-moore-joins-ayr-utd-on-loan/

So unless those deals are extended they'll be back at the club in January.