2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Definitely not in the short term, but it wouldn't surprise me to see either or both feature more next season - especially if McGhee still fancies developing Laing as a midfielder. I think there is also a good chance Moult could be sold on in the summer or the next January window opening up a slot for another striker.

For me Moult is probably the only sell-able asset we have at the moment and only if he continues his form of the first half of the season in the second. Johnson has talent but has yet to show consistency.

BTW a certain Nick Blackman joined Derby for £2.5 million today.

Doubt we will get Austin. he might chose dons/ dees due to them being closer to where he's playing/ staying at the moment.

I'll give you Dundee but I doubt Aberdeen are much closer, if at all, to Methil than Motherwell. He looked a good prospect but Dundee strike me as having the best track record of the three mentioned at bringing players through from lower divisions and that might influence any decision he has to make.

For me Moult is probably the only sell-able asset we have at the moment and only if he continues his form of the first half of the season in the second. Johnson has talent but has yet to show consistency.

BTW a certain Nick Blackman joined Derby for £2.5 million today.

Moult definitely.

I think Johnson will have some clubs interested even this window but not enough to tempt us into selling as he hasn't shown it for long enough yet. Plenty of time though as he is signed up till 2018 like Moult.

Laing does have a bit of skill about him but needs to improve a bit and play games. I see him like a Phil Jones type player when he first went to Man U. Not really good enough to be a centre half and not good enough to be a midfielder. But, I think he could be sellable in the future if we nail his position down.

Fletcher really is a bit of an unknown still as he has hardly played games. I like the look of him when I see him as he seems strong. If he can get games and add a few goals that could help.

Other than them I think we can be looking at the following to nurture and sell on:

Kennedy - He had some cracking games before the last 2 when he was dropped. Definitely something there. He is young so will have bad games.

Hall - Clear to see he has the skill and strength. I fully expect him to 'do a Kennedy' and have a bad couple from games. Will the manager drop him like he did Kennedy? Very sellable if nurtured well.

Thomas - Skill is there but needs games

Watt - As above

Cadden - As above

My mate who works alongside Jonny Page told me that Page said we have been watching Nathan Austin since the East Fife game. Nothing concrete about making a move for him but we have definitely been keeping an eye on him.

Moult definitely.

Fletcher really is a bit of an unknown still as he has hardly played games. I like the look of him when I see him as he seems strong. If he can get games and add a few goals that could help.

If you look at both players Louis Moult had a nailed on goal scoring pedigree before he turned up at Fir Park, something Fletcher doesn't have.

Fletcher seems like more of a punt to me.

If you look at both players Louis Moult had a nailed on goal scoring pedigree before he turned up at Fir Park, something Fletcher doesn't have.

Fletcher seems like more of a punt to me.

Yeah, possibly. Evidenced probably by the deals they are both on.

If rumours are true with Nicky law why do we want him back, he done great for us but why do we keep bringing back players what's the point find new and better players yes the odd one is good but really man what is in bringing back old news

Its just a rumour thats all. I have no problem in bringing back ex players as long as they do the business for us. It doesn't matter a jot to me if a player is new to us or a previous one returning - its their on field performance that counts.

Where are we hearing that McGhee fancies Laing as a midfielder? I know he played him in there against Celtic then talked him up after the game, since then though he has been dropped like a stone.

In my opinion McGhee gave him a try then backed up his decision with some chat afterwards. He hasn't been near since. Is that what the Laing in midfield thing is based upon? Have I missed something else?

• Like 1

Nicky Law's a cunt.

Why because he took up an offer he could not refuse to make wads of cash for an easier job ? If he does come back and performs well to help the team climb the league then nobody will give a shit, time for you to deal with it and move on.

Where are we hearing that McGhee fancies Laing as a midfielder?

He played him in midfield a few weeks back and commented on it in the media after the game. Then, at the Society evening in November he commented that Laing had the potential and attributes to make a very good midfielder.

Why because he took up an offer he could not refuse to make wads of cash for an easier job ? Ifu he does come back and performs well to help the team climb the league then nobody will give a shit, time for you to deal with it and move on.

^^^This. The amount on here who wanted Pearo nowhere near Fir Park due to the way he left for Celtic who now praise him as a semi-god without whom we would already be relegated just proves never say never in Scottish football

He played him in midfield a few weeks back and commented on it in the media after the game. Then, at the Society evening in November he commented that Laing had the potential and attributes to make a very good midfielder.

Out of curiosity which game did he play in midfield a few weeks back? Did he play in there when he was subbed on for Ainsworth at Parkhead? I wasn't there so was only going by the radio commentary.

Like Busta the only indication about the 'Laing as midfielder' chat seemed to come about around that 1st Celtic game. Though I didn't know about his comments at the Well Society evening, that sounds roughly the same as what he said post-Celtic. Beyond that any other time Laing's played lately for the 20s (that I've seen) he's been centre half.

Yep, exactly what I said. I never heard the Society night patter so fair enough but I reckon he sees him as having limited ability in midfield given the fact he has been no where near it since.

With Las injured we could see him feature in there I suppose, maybe even against Cove Rangers too. His lack of pitch time makes me think he was just trying to back up his decision to put him in there against Celtic (which I don't think was a bad thing).

I reckon he sees him as having limited ability in midfield given the fact he has been no where near it since. With Las injured we could see him feature in there I suppose, maybe even against Cove Rangers too. His lack of pitch time makes me think he was just trying to back up his decision to put him in there against Celtic (which I don't think was a bad thing).

I don't know. Like you I don't think the boss has backed up his comments with his team selections. He did say though that Laing was a big powerful lad with a great future ahead of him as a midfield player. He picked out him, Dom Thomas and Dylan Mackin as the 3 young players most likely to make it. He did compare him to a midfielder with Spurs - his name meant nothing to me as I don't follow English football. Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

Louis Laing has always struck me as a 'no-nonsense, clear yer lines' kind of centre-half, rather than some ball playing maestro pinging 40 yard passes out wide.

However, if McGhee believes he can be a decent midfielder, I'm happy to trust his judgement on that.

^^^This. The amount on here who wanted Pearo nowhere near Fir Park due to the way he left for Celtic who now praise him as a semi-god without whom we would already be relegated just proves never say never in Scottish football

I wasn't fond of Pearo's way of departing us in 2003, but when he left he played in Europe, won the league, there was obvious progression, as much as his conduct was below par, there was obvious progression, Law left us for a lower league side to play part time teams for more money, that's obvious regression, as I don't think he's the same player today as when he left us, as he is in and out a team in the division below.

That said, in his time at Fir Park he was one of the best players I've ever seen play with us and if he comes back and plays well I'll be delighted, but will probably never be forming any fanclubs for him.

Louis Laing has always struck me as a 'no-nonsense, clear yer lines' kind of centre-half, rather than some ball playing maestro pinging 40 yard passes out wide.

However, if McGhee believes he can be a decent midfielder, I'm happy to trust his judgement on that.

I'd disagree with that. I think his biggest strength is his ability on the ball, playing football from the back. I'd say his biggest weakness is that he is prone to a defensive lapse/error. In theory he does have some attributes to play there, but centre back and centre midfield are too very different positions.

I don't know. Like you I don't think the boss has backed up his comments with his team selections. He did say though that Laing was a big powerful lad with a great future ahead of him as a midfield player. He picked out him, Dom Thomas and Dylan Mackin as the 3 young players most likely to make it. He did compare him to a midfielder with Spurs - his name meant nothing to me as I don't follow English football. Time will tell I guess.

Presumably the Spurs player was Eric Dier. Which is actually a reasonable comparison as he's been notable as a defender who's been converted into a DM by Pochettino (and was in the same England u19 squad as Ripley) and has gone on to pick up senior caps.

Grimshaw extended his loan, I'm sure?

There's been nothing confirmed by the club. All that's been said is that we were speaking to United about extending, he's said he'd like to stay until the end of the season. However when Ripley extended the club posted up formal interviews and ran a news story about it. There's been nothing like that re: Grimshaw. That said there's been nothing posted officially to say he's actually gone back, nor has there been re: Taylor either. The only word on the latter was an interview from McGhee saying that he'd been speaking to Reading and he expected him to go back as he couldn't get into the team.

Given Grimshaw's out of contract at the end of the season and McGhee seems keen on him I wonder if we might be looking into a pre-contract? That might explain the delay, especially given the apparent ease with which Ripley's deal went through (which was presumably straightforward as he'd contracted to Boro for the next 3 years).

No news from the press conference on Grimshaw and wasn't asked a question directly from he press.

McGhee did talk about Taylor being back down south but the formalities essentially still had to be agreed as we are 'still paying him'. Assume that's because it was season deal but with the option to review in January. Sounds like he won't be back anyway.

I've got a horrible feeling that with 6 months left on his contract, Utd will allow him to leave in January and that he is being touted by his agent to English championship teams. This could be the reason an extension hasn't been agreed yet - obviously hope I'm wrong.

I've heard from a reliable source that we've enquired about the availability of Tam Scobbie from St. Johnstone. The only issue is he has 18-months left on his contract. If he can't get out of his contract, we'll ask for a loan deal until the end of the season. We won't pay a fee for him.

Makes a bit of sense considering there are doubts over Hammell's long term fitness and the jury is very much still out on Chalmers.