2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

I don't think a footballer should be measured any differently for his professional career and earnings goals from your own. If you work for Coke and Pepsi come in and offer to double your wages (Busta ....) would you decline citing loyalty as a reason. Would your colleagues think you are an eejit, get teary or pat you on the back and wish you well?

Your colleagues wouldn't give a fuck, your employer probably wouldn't have you back if your time was up though. The other factor here is Coke or Pepsi drinkers don't give a fuck who works there, they just want the black stuff.

Fans have an unusual expectation of loyalty from players, misguided, but still expected. If a player moves on it should be done in a way to satisfy that expectation of loyalty.

Id be more than happy if we get through the window without losing anybody. Good to see Ainsworth and Thomas get game time today. Shows they are still in managers thoughts. Get Grimshaw extended and Id be confident going into the run in with what we have.

Is it just coincidence that Big Marv has looked twice the player since Stevie Hammell returned?

Joe Chalmers was an odd rapid signing straight after the play off, sadly a pace-less wonder.

Grimshaw has been a standout, keeping him would be the best deal we could make.

Fletcher seems to be MIA too, can't see him appealing to anyone out on loan, Craig Reid makes Chalmers look like Cafu too, presumably he can't be loaned out to a second club though?

We need to ship enough out to bring in a central midfielder , but who?

Is it just coincidence that Big Marv has looked twice the player since Stevie Hammell returned?

Joe Chalmers was an odd rapid signing straight after the play off, sadly a pace-less wonder.

Grimshaw has been a standout, keeping him would be the best deal we could make.

Fletcher seems to be MIA too, can't see him appealing to anyone out on loan, Craig Reid makes Chalmers look like Cafu too, presumably he can't be loaned out to a second club though?

We need to ship enough out to bring in a central midfielder , but who?

Chalmers was poor but who wasn't under Baraclough? The only difference with other players was you knew they had past performances in the bank and you could give them some leeway. You've got to give the guy a chance under the new management but Hammell has improved the side considerably.

Louis Laing seems very much like a Baraclough signing now. Probably 4th choice centre back and I bet he's on decent dosh. We'll see how much substance there is to the 'he's a midfielder' chat' next week, with Lasley and possibly Grimshaw missing.

Also Scott Leitch hasn't figured at all since Baraclough went, perhaps he has an injury, I'm not sure, but if not you have to wonder if he has a future at Motherwell. And with Taylor also returning we are actually a bit short in midfield.

Will we bring someone in before the weekend? I suspect it will be a priority.

Chalmers was poor but who wasn't under Baraclough? The only difference with other players was you knew they had past performances in the bank and you could give them some leeway. You've got to give the guy a chance under the new management but Hammell has improved the side considerably.

Louis Laing seems very much like a Baraclough signing now. Probably 4th choice centre back and I bet he's on decent dosh. We'll see how much substance there is to the 'he's a midfielder' chat' next week, with Lasley and possibly Grimshaw missing.

Also Scott Leitch hasn't figured at all since Baraclough went, perhaps he has an injury, I'm not sure, but if not you have to wonder if he has a future at Motherwell. And with Taylor also returning we are actually a bit short in midfield.

Will we bring someone in before the weekend? I suspect it will be a priority.

Going by McGhee's post-match interview we are apparently hopeful of getting Grimshaw sorted out this week. It'll still most likely leave us with a midfield of Ainsworth, Grimshaw, Pearson, Johnson going up against a Hearts midfield 3 though with Lasley's absence.

As far as Leitch goes, I'm not sure if he's injured or not but it's notable that he was on the bench for 4 of McGhee's first 5 games in charge and never got on the park including the 3 games where we were missing a central midfielder due to Lasley's injury. Indeed, McGhee even commented after the Ross County game that he couldn't play the system he wanted because he was missing Lasley.

As much as that may have been patter to try and pass off a failed experiment in sticking Marvin Johnson at left back it still presumably says something given he had a central midfielder sitting on the bench at a point in the season where he had said he was wanting to get a look at everyone. Looking back his last minutes for the first team were as a sub in Craigan's first game as interim manager vs Thistle and his last game for the u20s was vs Hibs on Nov 24th.

The fact that Laing and Fletcher have still been getting run outs with the u20s would suggest to me that they're still in the thoughts of the management. With the form of the Hall & McManus central pairing it's not a massive surprise that we've not rotated in there and in Fletcher's case he's coming back from injury having seemingly been made of glass so not rushing him back in when we don't need to isn't a shock. As it is, the two guys in front of him are in form and have now scored over 20 goals between them this season.

• Like 1

There's plenty still to be done and improvements are clear to see for most in the squad.

McGhee has done well so far but it will be interesting to see how he starts to shape the squad.

Quite a bit of dead wood that can be cut away I would suggest.

Taylor going is a big relief and I would hope we could look to clear Reid, Robinson , Clarkson and Chalmers off the books - none of them have really set the heather on fire. Assuming that Moore (on loan) and Leitch are biding their time until contracts are up?

We do need to strengthen in midfield and down the right hand side.

Law is still targeted as a weak link in our side and improved or not, we do need a proper right back. Perhaps Watt could be the one however he isnt getting a look in at the moment.

Central midfielder is essential in this window and someone to link up play would be a bonus.

A centre forward also could be nice if we get rid of 2 strikers however hopefully we will see Fletcher begin to feature.

Someone better informed than I may be able to answer this but with regards Reid, he hasn't actually played for us this season other than Lasley's testimonial has he? With regards that particular rule is it the number of clubs he's 'played' for or a registration thing?

Edit: doesn't matter found it, a player is free to be registered to 3 clubs in a season but can only play for 2 clubs in "official" matches. So the fact that Reid's already played for St Mirren shouldn't impinge on a move if someone wanted him assuming he hasn't already played for us in a competitive game. http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/regulations_on_the_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf

There's plenty still to be done and improvements are clear to see for most in the squad.

McGhee has done well so far but it will be interesting to see how he starts to shape the squad.

Quite a bit of dead wood that can be cut away I would suggest.

Taylor going is a big relief and I would hope we could look to clear Reid, Robinson , Clarkson and Chalmers off the books - none of them have really set the heather on fire. Assuming that Moore (on loan) and Leitch are biding their time until contracts are up?

We do need to strengthen in midfield and down the right hand side.

Law is still targeted as a weak link in our side and improved or not, we do need a proper right back. Perhaps Watt could be the one however he isnt getting a look in at the moment.

Central midfielder is essential in this window and someone to link up play would be a bonus.

A centre forward also could be nice if we get rid of 2 strikers however hopefully we will see Fletcher begin to feature.

I think I would be happy going in to the second half of the season with same squad to be honest.

Other than maybe getting 1 of Clarkson/Fletcher/Robinson off the books on loan or permanently I think we have the right mix of cover and cover through young players. I would prefer to see Cadden for example be the midfield cover than get another loan or short term deal in to sit on the bench.

I think I would be happy going in to the second half of the season with same squad to be honest.

Other than maybe getting 1 of Clarkson/Fletcher/Robinson off the books on loan or permanently I think we have the right mix of cover and cover through young players. I would prefer to see Cadden for example be the midfield cover than get another loan or short term deal in to sit on the bench.

I'm inclined to agree that we don't need a massive overhaul. Re: players you mentioned there I suppose it depends on how happy they are to be sat on the bench. You'd think someone like Robinson for example, for all he's not shown much up here, could get a starting berth for a team in League 1 down south. Clarkson could easily be worth a start for a championship side up here as well and having said that he's been perfectly decent coming off the bench for us recently.

However given we are very reliant on Pearson I think if there's a player who could come in and offer actual competition for both him and Lasley then that would be ideal with a view to rotating Cadden/Grimshaw. All depends on who's available I suppose but being forced to start with a midfield 3 of Pearson, Grimshaw, Cadden or Cadden, Lasley, Grimshaw would leave us a bit exposed (depending on opposition).

Edit: on the full back issue, presumably given Watt can play both RB & LB and we've seen him on the bench more regularly over the past few weeks then he'd be considered cover option for both Law and Hammell with Chalmers just a general squad player (which tbf is how I've always viewed him anyway).