2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

We need a replacement for Grimshaw and fast. Today's midfield was unbalanced and I can now understand a bit clearer McGhee's dilemma last week. He might not know the solution, in terms of the current squad, but he'll have a better understanding now of what isn't the solution.

We need a replacement for Grimshaw and fast. Today's midfield was unbalanced and I can now understand a bit clearer McGhee's dilemma last week. He might not know the solution, in terms of the current squad, but he'll have a better understanding now of what isn't the solution.

We clearly need midfielders however I'd argue that Cadden has more than enough about him to fill the role vacated by Grimshaw. For me the area(s) we have a problem with are Lasley and Pearson.

As shown last week and also earlier in the season when Lasley was injured we've had to change our shape and we're a much less effective side without him. Same goes for Pearson. Both are in their 30s and it's a big ask for them to play week in week out. Pearson must be pretty close to a suspension by now as well from yellow cards?

For all McGhee's talked up Laing as a midfielder, indeed he was doing so during the week again, he's clearly not confident enough in his ability in that role just now to actually play him in there.

Edit: Though he was talking during the week about how the relative success of Grimshaw's loan might put us in a good light in that market with the bigger clubs in England I do wonder whether or not it'll be more experienced bodies McGhee will be more tempted to bring in during this window.

We clearly need midfielders however I'd argue that Cadden has more than enough about him to fill the role vacated by Grimshaw. For me the area(s) we have a problem with are Lasley and Pearson.

As shown last week and also earlier in the season when Lasley was injured we've had to change our shape and we're a much less effective side without him. Same goes for Pearson. Both are in their 30s and it's a big ask for them to play week in week out. Pearson must be pretty close to a suspension by now as well from yellow cards?

For all McGhee's talked up Laing as a midfielder, indeed he was doing so during the week again, he's clearly not confident enough in his ability in that role just now to actually play him in there.

Agree with that especially about Lasley week in week out he is 2nd to every ball and ends up chasing the game. As for Pearson he was posted missing for most of the game he did not seem interested, took his goal well but too little too late. We need new faces in midfield ASAP to help them out.

• Like 1

In fairness Allan, Pearson was asked to play in a deeper more defensive role and that just isnt his game. We lacked an unglamorous defensive worker to rush about put in tackles and blocks and generally shield our defence. Someone to rush out and harry attackers. None of the central midfielders on our books fit this role.

The two posts above are bang on the money. Mcghees predecessors should have addressed this issue. Mcghee should now make it a priority

McGhee's predecessors did try and address the issue, however unsuccessfully. Baraclough signed a left back, McCall persevered with Angol when Hammell was unavailable. McCall brought through Carswell and Baraclough signed Grimshaw.

To say that these managers have ignored the problem is wrong. The problem is that the guys they've earmarked for replacing Hammell and Lasley haven't been up to the job.

What this tells us? Despite their flaws being pointed out on here, Hammell and Lasley aren't that easy to replace...

• Like 4

My only problem with Lasley and Pearson is that we have no one capable it seems of filling their shoes. Cadden made an encouraging full debut yesterday and might one day move more central who knows. Right now we definitely need someone that can go right in there when Lasley or Pearson are missing, that will put pressure on them for a starting position and with luck if we can get someone for the longer term will look to replace firstly most likely Lasley who despite holding his own at SPL level will eventually later than expected need replaced.

Cadden did enough yesterday to suggest he is a viable replacement as box to box player. His running and athleticism are natural attributes which not everyone has. He loves ones skilful enough and was unlucky with a couple of attempts. His positional awareness wasn't totally there but that will get better with game time in games at this level. Very encouraging.

• Like 1

Don't agree with all the naysayers re Chalmers. He seems to have enough skill and athleticism to be a viable replacement for Hammel. He got caught out positionally and in the attack that led to 2nd goal yesterday but others in defence didn't stop the header/cut out the cross. Losing a goal is rarely attributable to only one player and if people want to look at moves leading to events they should also then look at senior players (Lasley) for first goal.

Again like Cadden an extended run in the team may well be the making of him. I hope his confidence is up enough to come in if Stevie H is injured but otherwise we need to give him game time once we are safe.