2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Not to be negative about a player we haven't even signed yet...

I was really impressed with him in a recent cup game, whoever they played the day we played cove Rangers. Looked exciting.

But

Could imagine him to be another frustrating type like Marvin Johnson or Lionel Ainsworth. Sugar or shite....

With respect to Lionel Ainsworth, this time last year I said on these boards I hoped never to see him in the C&A ever again as he'd effectively downed tools. To be fair however, the only one who seemed to be trying and giving it 100% in every game was Josh Law.

I suppose my frustration was born from the fact I look at him and I see a truly quality player, capable of some moments of sublime skill countered by a questionable work ethic at times. However he seemed to buckle down and was instrumental in keeping us on the heels of the other bottom feeders until the playoff with Rangers was a fait accomplit.

When McGhee was appointed I also said on here that someone like Ainsworth would not sit well with him. Like him or not, nobody can argue that McGhee puts a premium on fitness and a strong work ethic. Personally I think it's because it's gives players a mental edge thinking they have more stamina compared to the opposition. His double training sessions when he arrived and Jim Paterson are prime examples of this this ethos.

I also like to think that in what 15+ years of management he has a degree of man management skills and knows who needs an arm put round them in private and know needs dingied in the media. I suspect it was a last roll of the dice from McGhee to see if he's worth keeping past the summer. If he gets a reaction then ideal, otherwise he's off to be replaced by someone who will cover and track back those extra yards he demands.

I sincerely hope the actions of the past week has a two-fold response, first Ainsworth unleashes a "I'll show you" reaction and McGhee's behaviour was seen to be the right move to get the best out of his player.

Needless to say, I found myself standing and applauding on Saturday when he came on mainly because I felt others were also due public criticism (unthinkable 12 months ago).

I don't think anyone will disagree, on his game Ainsworth can be as good as the best in this league. However I fear he is nonchalant at times is why he's playing with us, had umpteen clubs and not playing at a higher level. Ultimately that is the catalyst of my frustration.

• Like 1

When McGhee was appointed I also said on here that someone like Ainsworth would not sit well with him. Like him or not, nobody can argue that McGhee puts a premium on fitness and a strong work ethic. Personally I think it's because it's gives players a mental edge thinking they have more stamina compared to the opposition. His double training sessions when he arrived and Jim Paterson are prime examples of this this ethos.

I recall when Ian St John was in charge, he placed great emphasis on fitness and stamina. He was quoted as saying that when a player became tired the first thing to suffer was his skill.

Not to be negative about a player we haven't even signed yet...

I was really impressed with him in a recent cup game, whoever they played the day we played cove Rangers. Looked exciting.

But

Could imagine him to be another frustrating type like Marvin Johnson or Lionel Ainsworth. Sugar or shite....

Reported for racism.

• Like 2