2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Blades fan's comment from earlier this month:

"Looks like (Hibs) got off lightly there, not signing him. He's a funny little player tbh. He does have a very nice burst of speed and injects some urgency into the midfield - moves the ball quickly - which is great. But he's always getting knocked off the ball and spends most of the match on his ass."

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-cool-interest-in-sheff-utd-s-stefan-scougall-1-4017847

Hibs were reportedly interested in re-signing him but....

The Scotland Under-21 international is available for loan as he is not in Blades manager Nigel Adkins’ plans, but the Blades are asking for too much money for either a loan or permanent transfer.

That would likely rule us out too even if he was interested in signing for us.

Only need to increase the squad size if the free agents offer something extra. Are those players out there and willing to join us? I am not saying we shouldn't be looking, but there is no reason we can't get out of the hole we are/were in with the current squad.

Agree completely if we can stay up this season with the squad we have without having to spend money on extra wages. Then that money could be put to better use in the summer during a rebuilding job.

Only need to increase the squad size if the free agents offer something extra. Are those players out there and willing to join us? I am not saying we shouldn't be looking, but there is no reason we can't get out of the hole we are/were in with the current squad.

Absolutely. While there's no harm in looking out of contract players unless they're significantly better than what we have then we shouldn't be bringing folk in for the sake of it. Having said that, it's worth pointing out that McDonald didn't sign until February 26th last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd keep McManus now, though may have said differently earlier in the season. I find him frustrating as a player as, when he screws the nut, he shows what he has to offer, but when he is disinterested he looks awful. If he is fit and wants to stay then he is better than anyone that we will have the money to replace him with.

Having said that, if the management want shot of him it will free up a fair amount as he will be one of our higher earners, or if someone else comes in for him (doubtful) then I won't lose too much sleep.