2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Did we sign Johnson on an 18 month contract?

He's really starting to look a player.

I'm pleased with pearson signing on, would love to keep Mcdonald, but never expected him to stay long term.

Laing looks to be forming a decent partnership with Mcmanus, and the return of hammell has steadied the defence a bit.

Ainsworth is an interesting one, he has some really good games, but his bad games, you can usually see after 15 minutes it's not going to be his day. That's a common thing with wingers, but I do have to question his attitude at times.

In terms of our recent transfer dealings of our decent assets (Jamie Murphy/Darren Randolph/Mark Reynolds), £500k is decent. However when looking at the likes of the much envied Dundee Utd and Accies, another 6 months on, Lee Erwin could be easily attract £1m if he keeps on the same trajectory.

Club muted a few months back they were trying hard to get him signed up on a deal but it looks like he was tapped up before and held out, no doubt realising a better weekly salary as they've saved on any fee's.

Don't think offering increased terms last summer would have been an issue, I think he would have bitten McCall's hand off. Just another example of oversight.

Not wanting to take anything away from Baraclough, and I might be waaaay off with this but I'm sure the club had been scouting Marvin for a good while before Baraclough was in place.

Seem to remember Marvin saying as much in his interview when he signed.

Erwin's situation has unfortunately come along just a bit too soon for our new ownership to get a handle on it by the looks of things.

Given his injury situation, I doubt we'd have felt comfortable offering Erwin an improved deal last summer.

Given his injury situation, I doubt we'd have felt comfortable offering Erwin an improved deal last summer.

That's a good point. I'm a little disappointed that he chose to fuck off at the first available opportunity if i'm honest, but the £500,000 odd that we're apparently getting does soften the blow a bit.

Email from Bara about season tickets saying they have told those officially who won't be offered a deal and speaking to several about new deals.

From the way OBrien is talking on Twitter it looks like he is in the no new contract camp (thabkong fans for his time here etc. )

Scott Mullen of the Evening Times saying on Twitter that despite being on the PFA Scotland available players list, John Sutton is NOT one of the players to be told he has no future at the club.

Scott Mullen of the Evening Times saying on Twitter that despite being on the PFA Scotland available players list, John Sutton is NOT one of the players to be told he has no future at the club.

Good news.

Sutton will score double figures in the premiership next season. Hopefully for us but if not then for Partick, St Johnstone or Dundee.

We all know Ainsworth is hugely frustrating but if anyone knows a wide mid right player who is affordable with that pace and ability to strike the ball, and who will score 10+ goals every season without even starting half the matches, then you are welcome to pitch in with suggestions!

I'd be eager to keep him even although I know he is going to be useless about 50% of the time. The game is all about goals and wee Lionel has them in his boots.

• Like 5

We all know Ainsworth is hugely frustrating but if anyone knows a wide mid right player who is affordable with that pace and ability to strike the ball, and who will score 10+ goals every season without even starting half the matches, then you are welcome to pitch in with suggestions!

I'd be eager to keep him even although I know he is going to be useless about 50% of the time. The game is all about goals and wee Lionel has them in his boots.

The question is can we afford to have a player who only turns up 50% of the time? It would be nice to think that he'll realise that he can go on to play at a higher level if he shows more commitment but history suggests he won't.

He would be a great signing for Aberdeen as they have the budget to carry a few luxury players. Even Celtic would be better paying him than paying Wakaso or Boerrighter. I also don't think GMS is much better than him.

I've always been in the "50% of a game changing talent is better than 100% of a worker" camp.

Of course, it's ultimately about balance and you need a mix of both. I'd hate to have a midfield consisting of 4 Lasleys or 4 Ainsworths, but if there is a guy out there with Lionel's talent, plays hard 100% of the time and tackles hard off the ball - he won't be playing anywhere near Fir Park.

Be happy to see him back in the team next season.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people are underestimating Lee Erwins abilities...as far as I'm concerned its a boot in the Stuart McCalls to be losing a striker who can drag defenders all over the place for £500k.

Good luck to the lad though, I hope it works out for him.

p.s. I have it on extremely good authority that a number of players from our squad have been offered to Partick Thistle (by their agents)...Sutton and Twardzik amongst them, though it's doubtful they're going to sign any of them. This pre-season is going to see a huge turnover in our playing squad by the looks of things

I'm still hopeful we might get a last minute change of mind from Erwin, but if not, he will be a loss. However, 500k + add-ons for an out of contract player is at least better than seeing a senior player walk out the door for hee-haw.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Lee Erwins abilities...

I agree. I'll be honest and say there was a point mid-season where I thought he might be a player that would be mentioned a few years down the line as someone who didn't quite make the grade. However to me, the last 3 months and especially the play-off's have been the Lee Erwin show - one goal, one assist, one penalty isn't a bad haul in 2 of the biggest games in the clubs history (+ one sore jaw and one quality interview, just to give him edge).

What's changed? Scott McDonald. I don't think we can underestimate the impact a player like him can have on an impressionable and eager 21 year old and I reckon he's responsible for giving Erwin his recent swagger, confidence and petulance - the latter not necessarily a bad thing if it's used in the right way. To intentionally knock McCulloch over the hoardings when the ball was already running out can give strikers that psychological edge over big lumps in defence and as much as it's a wide move if that kind of gamesmanship is used right it can work wonders.

£500k for an out of contract Erwin is a fair deal and if we are to become a selling club, we need players like McDonald on the pitch teaching the craft.

I'll be absolutely gutted to see both go.

Meh. Erwin has had a decent season in my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Paul Quinn play-a-like? Should be spending our efforts on keeping McDonald over Erwin (not that it'll happen probably)