2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Lasley has had a very good season, very effective when played in the correct role with suitable players beside him.

Hammell has had the odd fault over the course of the season, but we are a far better team with him, than without him. While it's time to maybe think of replacing him long term, he's definitely worth another year. Our attempts to replace him in Chalmers, Francis-Angol and Straker show how difficult a job replacing him is.

McDonald is a no brainier.

McManus, I am not his biggest fan, in fact I have been highly critical of him over the past two seasons. The most annoying thing is how good he can be, but isn't so often. However, I do think I judge him on how good I think Stephen McManus should be, rather than how good a 33 year old Motherwell centre back should be. If our other three centre backs are to be Laing, Kennedy and Hall, then they will need experience. For all his shortcomings, remarkably I do think he will be tough to replace and could be talked into keeping him for continuity's sake alone.

I would agree with all that.

Lasley has had a very good season, very effective when played in the correct role with suitable players beside him.

Hammell has had the odd fault over the course of the season, but we are a far better team with him, than without him. While it's time to maybe think of replacing him long term, he's definitely worth another year. Our attempts to replace him in Chalmers, Francis-Angol and Straker show how difficult a job replacing him is.

McManus, I am not his biggest fan, in fact I have been highly critical of him over the past two seasons. The most annoying thing is how good he can be, but isn't so often. However, I do think I judge him on how good I think Stephen McManus should be, rather than how good a 33 year old Motherwell centre back should be. If our other three centre backs are to be Laing, Kennedy and Hall, then they will need experience. For all his shortcomings, remarkably I do think he will be tough to replace and could be talked into keeping him for continuity's sake alone.

I'd agree with this. I do hope though that we can find a couple of players with a Moult/Johnson profile in the midfield and fullback positions. This would allow a transitional spell to taper the game time of Lasley and Hammell while still making the most of their talent, experience and leadership.

• Like 2

^^^^ This

And the next part of the gossip column highlights how important being safe can be on getting a march on Thistle etc

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald has put his summer plans on hold after his side missed out on a top-six finish in the Scottish Premiership and will wait to make sure they avoid a relegation play-off before speaking with his out-of-contract players. (Daily Record, print edition)

Did McGhee not say in his interview the other day that he was looking for 'at least 2,3 or 4 players' for the new season

You'd like to think he would be. A goalkeeper (clearly), a couple of central midfielders and a full back would be the obvious areas. After that I'd imagine it'd be a case of whether we get any offers in for our "sellable assets".

if we dont punt Lasley and Hammell I really do despair. Las has been miles off everytime Ive seen him this season, he does his usual of turning it on for 1 game but now its the following 7 or 8 games where he is pure gash! We need a younger midfield unit, to keep Las means we need to try play 3 in there to compensate for his shocking lack of pace now

I see merit in retaining all four. They all still have pivotal roles to play in my mind.

Of course there has to be a transitional period where over time these guys will be replaced.

Lasley is arguably the most pressing given his age but he is a growing member of the coaching staff as well as influential player so I see his continued presence as being doubly beneficial. I did think it significant however that we saw out the Utd game and beat Aberdeen recently minus Keith. That's not in any way shape or form a passing of the guard, but offers hope for the 'Life after Lasley' period.

Hammell and McManus , while past their prime by some way, would still be an awful big miss for me.

Natural left footed players are a rare enough commodity , experienced ones are even rarer.

If Pearson remains fit( always a doubt) then I could see Lasley moving out of the plans, been a great servant, but he is too far off the pace of the game too often for me, and his days of being on his feet and straight back in the game after tackles are behind him, sadly

if we dont punt Lasley and Hammell I really do despair. Las has been miles off everytime Ive seen him this season, he does his usual of turning it on for 1 game but now its the following 7 or 8 games where he is pure gash! We need a younger midfield unit, to keep Las means we need to try play 3 in there to compensate for his shocking lack of pace now

He's human he's 37 in September. Can't expect him to play every game surely?

I know that St Johnstone have already made an offer but I'd hope we would be looking at Blair Alston from Falkirk...

Absolutely agree on Alston though I get the impression he's waiting to see how Falkirk go in the play-offs. We'd be mental not to have enquired though.

Also with Thistle bottom 6 and not having Osman tied up he's another one who's out of contract.

Absolutely agree on Alston though I get the impression he's waiting to see how Falkirk go in the play-offs. We'd be mental not to have enquired though.

Also with Thistle bottom 6 and not having Osman tied up he's another one who's out of contract.

Never been that impressed with Osman but you're not the first person I've heard say that they think he could do a job for us...

Never been that impressed with Osman but you're not the first person I've heard say that they think he could do a job for us...

To be honest I think I'm just quite sold on having someone in the centre of the park who could offer a bit of height and presence. He reads the game pretty well, keeps things pretty simple and I could see him fitting in with Pearson and Cadden doing the box to box stuff.

The fact he's experienced (and out of contract) would be a bonus too. In truth even if it wasn't him then someone who fitted that sort of profile would be a worthwhile addition.

He's human he's 37 in September. Can't expect him to play every game surely?

nope and he has been a magnificent servant! However we need more legs,more tackling ability and better distribution in our midfield, all 3 areas Las is terrible in. His legs are gone understandably,his tackling ,which has always been poor,is getting worse the slower he gets and he couldnt pass water. He should be offered a contract in a coaching role only from this summer,we need to move on

• Like 1

According to SSN and his dad Ripley could be staying with us if Middlesbrough don't think he's good enough to push for their NO.1 spot

I just read the interview and he seemed a bit more non-committal than the headline suggested. He's not ruling it out and seems positive about it but at the same time he clearly fancies getting a shot at the Riverside and he's said he'd prefer to stay in England to be closer to his family. Which is fair enough.

It all depends on what Boro are thinking I suppose. If he does come back for another season it'd be good to have assurances about the term as it'd be fairly pish to find ourselves in a situation like Aberdeen this season when Klopp recalled Ward back to Liverpool.

http://www.clyde1.com/sport/news/keeper-connor-ripley-would-consider-motherwell-loan-return/

Much prefer Ripley to George Long from last season, would be good if he stayed on.

Ripley is certainly a different personality type from Long and probably fitted our needs better in that respect. Long seems to have established himself at Sheffield Utd this season though, so that is another good example of the "come to us and enhance your first team prospects" story we can tell prospective targets.

Nothing against the players mentioned, but is it possible that we are repeating mistakes here? The transition/rebuilding should have started two or three seasons ago. Our squad core is now another year older and the cracks are becoming more and more obvious. For whatever reason, inept management, laziness, sentiment, we have stuck with "tried and tested" and regressed because of it. If our budget will allow us the luxury of keeping all of these older players on while bringing in the necessary new blood then okay, sign them up, but times are hard and money tight. Thes players will have to be replaced sooner rather than later and that process has to begin sometime.

• Like 2

For whatever reason, inept management, laziness, sentiment, we have stuck with "tried and tested" and regressed because of it.

I'll agree about the inept, but disagree that we have regressed because of the players.

Poor management has been the reason we've been shite, not the players. Lasley and Hammell in particular have been at the core of some of the most succesful teams in the clubs history, and it's no coincidence that we're now turning the corner with a decent manager in place and both of them in the team. I do think they're not the quite the players that took us to 3rd, 2nd and 2nd and we need to have one eye on alternatives over the next few seasons but I think they still have plenty to offer just now.

• Like 1