2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

If Big Lee was persuaded to stay would be great to see Moore play along side him. They had a decent partnership in the U20s.

Got to agree. Was hoping moore would learn a lot from skippy, similar size build and if we could have styled him to be a similar player alongside big Lee could have been a good strike force.

I have held back posting about Vigurs as I don't like to be negative about players. However not that that he has gone I can let rip. I had high hopes for him when he joined the well but time after time I watched him prance around the park fucking up a pass and then blaming the other player for not getting on the end of it. Instead of improving he just got worse and became a show boating passenger in most games. I'm not surprised he never kicked a ball for us since McCall left and I sure his back will make a full recovery now that he's looking for a new club. I'll never forget the boo ringing out around Fir Park when he got the man of the match award so I know I wasn't the only one to see him for the piss poor player he was. Good bye and good riddance.

• Like 1

Vigurs is a talented football player, anyone who cant see that hasn't a clue!!

However, It doesn,t matter how much ability you have as a player, if you have no heart or fight on the field you are a wasted jersey. Vigurs falls into the heartless category which is a shame as he's wasting a real talent!!

Vigurs looked a class act- for about 20minutes in his entire stay at Fir Park. By all accounts he trained like a beast and was amongst the fittest in the squad pre- injury- none of which explains his predeliction for jogging aimlessly round the centre circle like Willie Young the ref on a Saturday afternoon

Guys with skills like him and that kind of attitude

must burst your heid if you manage them

That said, what price a Lazarus style resurrection back to County and lashing in a treble against us!

Cheers Vigs, thanks for the (non existent) memories

• Like 1

Vigurs might well not play again, it's 50/50. Both he and Lawson have been very unfortunate with injury during their stay at Fir Park. They are clearly two talented footballers who would have been excellent assets had they not been struck down with chronic injury problems.

• Like 1

They finished 4th from bottom of league 2 this season, he has probably found his level. Dubious attitude if the stories are to be believed, and probably no ability to go with it, will not be missed.

I think we are better placed for a solid cohesive preseason preparation than for years- no Europa League tie against FC Who from Fuckknowswhere after one friendly . New fitness regime and opportunity to get new bodies gelling nicely to get off to a decent start

Bring it on!!

Edited by BigWeegieDosser

It'll be very interesting to see who we manage to bring in as Baraclough's signings have been a bit hit and miss so far. It reminds me a bit of the number of signings Harri Kampman brought in at one time - hopefully with a better success rate.

Don't see a parallel with the Kampman shambles. IB has solid grounding in British football and our scouting network will be well placed to sift through the hordes of guys freed as the cost cutting sweeps every division. Perfect opportunity to pick and choose- it's an employers market , ouwith maybe the top 5 percent- and we don't exactly shop in that store, do we?

Kampmann's signings were entirely different - not so much hit as miss. In assessing Baraclough's signings we have to take in to account the nature of the January window, in which it is very difficult for clubs like ours to do business. Very few managers have a 100% signing record. If we look at Bara's record you could say that Pearson, MacDonald, and Johnson have been clear successes. Laing, Grant and and Long have been ok and Straker and Thomas were poor. Harri Kampmann's record was worse, far worse.

WIth respect to the players on our books released, no great surprises there, quite a few McCall favourites (Ramsden/Carswell) and fringe players from as far back as Gannon and Jack & Victor. Just goes to show how much we as a club have held out and hoped too many of them would deliver, much to the detriment of the wage budget. But footballers are a high risk investment.

As for the loanees released, there's been a lot of talk of Laing. While I think it's almost impossible to pair up two centre halves and have an immediate rapport, I do think that as time has gone on he has improved and built up a degree of understanding with McManus.

However I am hopeful that with countless players being released over the next few weeks, our improved scouting structure and contacts, the feeling from within FP at present is that while players like Laing are OK, Baraclough can source much better now urgency and limited options aren't the factors they were in January.

Would I give Laing a gig? If I was sure there was nobody else out there better that I could attract and afford then sure and the length of contract allows potential for punting him for a return. You want one year deal Louis? ..... thanks but no thanks.

I think the owner understands that loanees offered a solution when the squad was in the doldrums, but they don't answer or will feature in the long term plans. Certainly a couple from highly rated clubs (our links to Everton in the past have served us well), but from mid table Championship down, don't add anything except in emergencies if we are changing our business model.

A mediocre loanee only removes a starting place from a home grown player and only one of those options has the potential to make us money. We should only take them if they have the ability to be a cut above what we can attract from the open market. The trade off is the parent club gets their starlet blooded and given competitive game time.

I sincerely hope and expect that this thread will be red hot this summer with some canny bits of business and signings that encourage. All this talk of an impressive software system and scouting networks has to return something. I think it's about time to see us pick up a prospect(s) from the lower leagues in Scotland.

I also expect that from a mental point of view, pre-season will be punishing as Baraclough will look to instill a mental edge among the squad that no other will be fitter. It seems to be a core idea intrinsic to his ethos. If anyone can recall he suggested that his favoured style of play was to press the opposition when they were on the ball and play high up the park. Something that requires a high level of fitness to maintain for 90 minutes.

• Like 2

It'll be very interesting to see who we manage to bring in as Baraclough's signings have been a bit hit and miss so far. It reminds me a bit of the number of signings Harri Kampman brought in at one time - hopefully with a better success rate.

Hopefully better choices when he actually has time rather than panic deals with little or no time to fully scout them out.

Hopefully we will minimise loan deals this summer. They do have some advantages but have many drawbacks. By their very nature they are short term; they don't tend to arrive until well after our season has kicked off - usually late August; players might not be 100% fit; and they miss our pre season preparations.

Baraclough wants Erwin to remain at Fir Park

Ian Baraclough has begged Lee Erwin to turn down the opportunity of joining Leeds United because the Motherwell manager believes he can earn him a better move down the line.

The Fir Park boss said he would be ‘disappointed’ to see the striker sign for Leeds because he doesn’t want the player’s career to stagnate in the reserves.

Motherwell have offered Erwin a new deal and are praying for an 11th hour change of heart from the player, but it looks likely the 21-year old will be on his way. (Daily Mail)

Baraclough wants Erwin to remain at Fir Park

Ian Baraclough has begged Lee Erwin to turn down the opportunity of joining Leeds United because the Motherwell manager believes he can earn him a better move down the line.

The Fir Park boss said he would be ‘disappointed’ to see the striker sign for Leeds because he doesn’t want the player’s career to stagnate in the reserves.

Motherwell have offered Erwin a new deal and are praying for an 11th hour change of heart from the player, but it looks likely the 21-year old will be on his way. (Daily Mail)

His agent will be definitely pushing for Leeds so that he can get a bigger cut of the cash. Good player but don't think he is being advised very well if he does go to Leeds. He won't see a game for years down there if ever.

His agent will be definitely pushing for Leeds so that he can get a bigger cut of the cash. Good player but don't think he is being advised very well if he does go to Leeds. He won't see a game for years down there if ever.

Only changed his agent very recently, generally accepted this means a move is on the cards. His new advisor involved in boxing promotions amongst other, ahem, enterprises.

That club remains in the mire though.

Or maybe they were just annoyed at being ignored. Ever manager has favourites and players they sideline. It's part of the game but if it was you or me we'd probably be annoyed if we felt we didn't get a fair crack.

For me Carswell blew it getting sent off within minutes against Partick. But for me the problem with players like Carswell is they are all hard work and no ability.

If the guys being released had been any good, they would be telling the club thanks but no thanks, they are off to bigger things, so the club are telling them the same

That for me sums Carswell up , gave 100pc but just didn't have anything out of the ordinary to add to the game.Bara has come in and noted this, if he doesn't like or rate Bara for this, that's good.If we had continued with him in the middle of the park, we weren't staying up

I said it on the other thread, but I full expect to see us bringing in around 9/10 players this summer (losing 19).

I agree with what was said above, in regards to us only bringing in 1/2 loan players. Loanees, to a large extent would go against the business plan which Les has been speaking about, in terms of generating income from players.

At the moment, we have an experienced core of the squad; but not much on the edges.

-----------------------------GK--------------------------

Law------McManus--------------CD-----------Hammell

RM -------Pearson---------Lasley-----------Johnson

--------------ST-----------------ST--------------------

Subs:

Twardzik

Reid

Watt

Leitch

Thomas

Moore

I doubt that Reid will feature for Baraclough (typical McCall signing) and I think that we really have to be looking at Leitch and Moore making a bigger impression this season or it is highly likely that they will go the way of Cummins, Carswell etc.

Going on the basis that we do not re-sign Ainsworth, Sutton, Erwin or McDonald (all of which would be great), I think we are looking at:

Goalkeeper x 1

Central Half x 2

Left Back x 1

Right Midfielder x 1

Central Midfielder x 2

Striker x 3

This would leave us with Watt acting as cover for RB or centre half and Thomas for the wingers.

Exciting times and great to have a fresh slate.

I said it on the other thread, but I full expect to see us bringing in around 9/10 players this summer (losing 19).

I agree with what was said above, in regards to us only bringing in 1/2 loan players. Loanees, to a large extent would go against the business plan which Les has been speaking about, in terms of generating income from players.

At the moment, we have an experienced core of the squad; but not much on the edges.

-----------------------------GK--------------------------

Law------McManus--------------CD-----------Hammell

RM -------Pearson---------Lasley-----------Johnson

--------------ST-----------------ST--------------------

Subs:

Twardzik

Reid

Watt

Leitch

Thomas

Moore

I doubt that Reid will feature for Baraclough (typical McCall signing) and I think that we really have to be looking at Leitch and Moore making a bigger impression this season or it is highly likely that they will go the way of Cummins, Carswell etc.

Going on the basis that we do not re-sign Ainsworth, Sutton, Erwin or McDonald (all of which would be great), I think we are looking at:

Goalkeeper x 1

Central Half x 2

Left Back x 1

Right Midfielder x 1

Central Midfielder x 2

Striker x 3

This would leave us with Watt acting as cover for RB or centre half and Thomas for the wingers.

Exciting times and great to have a fresh slate.

I had it down as two strikers rather than three but other than that, that's my shopping list too.

Definitely one of the most interesting rebuilding jobs we've had in some time. Looking forward to seeing how Baraclough pieces things together.