2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Who was the last Motherwell player before Sutton to notch double figures in five different seasons? Did Stevie Kirk do it?

Pretty sure Kirk didn't do it without having the figures to hand, off the top of my head I think he only had two seasons in double figures at least in league goals.

My guess would be Pat Quinn.

EDIT: Willie Pettigrew was before my time, possibly him, didn't realise he was with us for as long as 7 years.

gutted to hear Sutton has left

proven goal scorer and a real professional on and off the park and in my view a true Motherwell Legend.

the question is, who is going to score goals for the well next season?

Frazzie you'll have the happy clappers annoyed with that correct assessment of Barraclough. In reply to the abuse i've received about Ferguson he is clearly not good enough and that's all i posted. In my opinion he is not anywhere near SPL class and as a left back???? If im proved wrong i'll be delighted to come on and say so like i did with Higdon. But if im right like i was with Kerr, Carswell, Twardzik, Lawson, Forbes, Cummings, Steven Saunders that i got abuse for who is also crap then i'll keep posting my honest and usually near enough correct views of our players.

Kerr, Carswell and Cummings were young and had potential, two of them featured quite a few times in the first team the finished second in the SPL.

Forbes had great natural ability and scored some great goals, but, like Paul Slane, didn't make the application required to be a full time athlete.

Lawson and Saunders proved to be SPL standard players whose careers have been interupted by injury.

Twardzik performed well whilst on loan. He's young,made mistakes that got punished,but many wanted him in to replace Long.

So, before making sweeping criticism of the first team squad, take time to assess your opinions before posting them. Or just go right ahead with your usual modus operandi and present yourself as the muppet some have accused you of being.

Barraclough brought in Johnson, Long, Grant and Laing. He gave Erwin a run in the team. I don't even have to mention McDonald or Pearson.

Also, remember that Saunders was the last Motherwell player to be capped by Scotland and was a very promising young defender before a serious injury.

Simple, the next striker, Baraclough signs.

Aye and his first pick was Erwin who score 5 times in 35 games

in Sutton's second stint at Fir park he played 76 games and scored 34 times

lets hope Baraclough has better taste in strikers next season

Aye and his first pick was Erwin who score 5 times in 35 games

in Sutton's second stint at Fir park he played 76 games and scored 34 times

lets hope Baraclough has better taste in strikers next season

Did Sutton not score goals under Baraclough?

Regardless, the McDonald / Erwin combination worked quite well from the perspective of developing our youngsters (and winning the play off), and I expect to see more of that in the next couple of seasons. So be prepared to be disappointed if you are expecting to see a barrel load of the finished article being signed over the summer.

erwin contributed more to the team than just goals last season his assist and winning a penalty in the play off games are some of the examples,it's just nonsense to base his contributions on only scoring 5 goals.onto big sutton i wish him nothing but good luck for the rest of his career he was a great servant for us and a top bloke the couple of times i met him.

• Like 1

Best of luck to John, seems like a genuinely nice guy and the only player who seemed to care last season. I will miss him much more than Erwin

I wont. No-one can argue that Sutton did well for us and I like most am sorry to see him go. But given a straight choice between Erwin and Sutton I would opt for Erwin every day of the week. If it was a personality contest - then Sutton, but it is not.

If Skippy and Ainsworth head off - that takes it to 19 players gone. Granted 5 or 6 were on loan, but would suggest we need up to a dozen players to add to the 1st team squad.

If Skippy and Ainsworth head off - that takes it to 19 players gone. Granted 5 or 6 were on loan, but would suggest we need up to a dozen players to add to the 1st team squad.

Most of the january influx was to cover for the unprecedented number of injured guys while they recovered.

I think a dozen replacements is over optimistic-

Double figures would be a stretch

Did Sutton not score goals under Baraclough?

yip, not reading the bullshit revisionist romantics take on events though

2 goals in 15 appearances this season for McCall

0 goals in 4 for Black (1 debateable for County game day IB arrived)

11 goals in 24 for BaraClough (better than career average?)

and with more than 30 starts in 43 appearances this season he also appeared plenty of times, only behind I'd guess two? players

I will genuinely miss having Sutton in the squad, its a huge ask to replace his contribution, but if the team wasn't working I was happy to see him appear against a tired opposition

he was a well respected Motherwell player , who seemed an honest pro', like many before

Sad to see him go, even more so to the opposition, but its happened before and will happen again, gives the moonunits something to whinge about when times are bad.

Edit:

and his last notable touch of the ball for Motherwell was to score the Sixth goal of an absolute hammering of the Govan mob in the play offs, Cheers, Big Handsome #9

• Like 5