2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

We will be doing very well to get a player in with as many goals in them as John Sutton. Good luck to the big man, except when he plays against us.

As for future signings, I was not particularly impressed with the job lot that we brought in during the January window, but will cut them some slack in that it was probably a bit of a rushed job. Now we have some serious rebuilding to do and there can be no mistakes or excuses.

It would be good to get our business done earlier rather than later, but, as I recall, we seemed to get a lot of stuff sorted early last summer and we all know how that panned out.

I wont. No-one can argue that Sutton did well for us and I like most am sorry to see him go. But given a straight choice between Erwin and Sutton I would opt for Erwin every day of the week. If it was a personality contest - then Sutton, but it is not.

If Skippy and Ainsworth head off - that takes it to 19 players gone. Granted 5 or 6 were on loan, but would suggest we need up to a dozen players to add to the 1st team squad.

If Skippy and Ainsworth leave that leaves us with a top goalscorer last season of 1 goal.

Baraclough will have to recruit brilliantly multiple times if we are to avoid a repeat season at the bottom end of the league. That's possible but not probable.

• Like 1

Pat Quinn

Ian St. John

Willie Pettigrew

Dixie Deans

Wilson Humphreys

Five of the greatest players to ever play for Motherwell Football Club. And the only five post war players to score more goals for us than John Sutton.

That's how big a gap Sutton is going to leave

Dougie Arnott must have scored more than Sutton, no?

Baraclough will have to recruit brilliantly multiple times if we are to avoid a repeat season at the bottom end of the league. That's possible but not probable.

Ian Baraclough will make mistakes in his new signings but every manager does. Wee Tommy is rightly credited with being a great manager who was astute in the transfer market but few remember he signed quite a few real lulus in his time at Fir Park. The trick though is to sign enough to fashion a decent team.

We shouldn't forget either that those who have left were part of a squad that finished second bottom of the league. Some players will be harder to replace than others admittedly. If Bara can improve on the likes of Gunnar Neilsen, Adam Cummins, Mark O'Brien, Iain Vigurs, Paul Lawson, Stuart Carswell and Bob McHugh and ZFA then he'll have made a decent start.

• Like 1

A bit gutted to see the big hadsome bastard leave. Always guaranteed you double figures per season and that kind of return is very hard to replace. Great record over his two spells with the 'Well and wish him all the best.

We currently have a team with only one recognised striker at present, so top priority with players coming in for me.

This is surely a situation that any manager should thrive on in being able to build your ‘own’ team without having to rely too much on a previous managers players. Unlike the January window, Baraclough has the whole of the summer to target the players that he wants. I am sure with the scouting network that Motherwell have put in place, we will unearth a few gems (just no Straker’s please!). COYW!

• Like 1

The way McCall set us up, any decent striker should have been picking up double figures every season. He had his faults tactically, but he typically set his team up with pace and width to supply plenty of crosses for Higdon and Sutton.

Baraclough likes his wide men too, so I imagine any new striker should be able to capitalize on that.

I'd hope McDonald signs on again - the more time goes on, for some reason the more I can see it happening. If we were able to find a more physical striker (in the Sutton/Higdon vein), then Skippy could be a good foil for him providing we are able to get them service from the wings.

Any more chat re. Ainsworth? I suppose with most of the folk on holiday it might be another couple of weeks before the rumours properly start flying.

The way McCall set us up, any decent striker should have been picking up double figures every season. He had his faults tactically, but he typically set his team up with pace and width to supply plenty of crosses for Higdon and Sutton.

Baraclough likes his wide men too, so I imagine any new striker should be able to capitalize on that.

I'm pretty sure that if you stuck me at centre forward with Johnson and Ainsworth on the wings I'd manage at least five a season.

Yes sorry to see old 'concrete boots' leaving. He scored many valuable goals for us and wish him all the best with Saints. [except against us of course}. Hope that there's some movement soon regarding new players cos my reckoning is we'd struggle to field a 5 a side team at the moment. :nyam:

Yes sorry to see old 'concrete boots' leaving. He scored many valuable goals for us and wish him all the best with Saints. [except against us of course}. Hope that there's some movement soon regarding new players cos my reckoning is we'd struggle to field a 5 a side team at the moment. :nyam:

We're not playing at the moment so not a concern.

Patience.

Weve lost all these players and were still in the SPL. We couldve lost all these players and have first division football next season.

A lot of these deals will have been nearly done and agreed in principle based on what league were in and the final details such as contracts etc just needing completed. As mentioned prior a lot of these players are on holiday. They'll have their phones with them and as soon as theyre back in the UK its sign on the dotted line time. No time to panic... Yet!