League Sponsorship

Onthefringes

We've only been waiting for 2 years... Go on, tell me how lucky the clubs are having Mr Doncaster representing them...

£2 million per season equals less than £500,000 to each division, less than £50,000 to each team, equalling less than a grand per week. All before the Earl Haigs' receive the lions share.

He's a shoe in for a role for life IMO.

• Like 3

We've only been waiting for 2 years... Go on, tell me how lucky the clubs are having Mr Doncaster representing them...

£2 million per season equals less than £500,000 to each division, less than £50,000 to each team, equalling less than a grand per week. All before the Earl Haigs' receive the lions share.

He's a shoe in for a role for life IMO.

But, but - according to reports (no doubt leaked by Doncaster) this was a major victory with the bookies battling it out because they were so desperate to sponsor us. It was only through the great dedication and business acumen of Doncaster we were able to secure such a fantastic deal and we should be falling to our knees in thanks he has finally, and underwhelmingly, done his job.

I still have no idea why the clubs kept him there and never heard our Board respond as to why they did.

Must be the only league sponsorship where the details are kept secret. The cynic in me says that's because there is a clause in there that says "The top flight gets the most money... unless Hibs win promotion, in which case the Rangers Plan B kicks in to make sure they get their unequal share"

Intersting comment from Neil Doncaster when discussing reconstruction, he says "After next season we go back to the old voting rules".

Does that mean back to the 11 - 1 required to make changes?

This would tie in with the fact that the SFA/SPFL and (possibly) Celtic hoped Rangers would move back to the SPL in successive seasons. Thereby giving the rest of the Clubs the illusion they matter but knowing they would have the stranglehold over all the teams again.

Intersting comment from Neil Doncaster when discussing reconstruction, he says "After next season we go back to the old voting rules".

Does that mean back to the 11 - 1 required to make changes?

This would tie in with the fact that the SFA/SPFL and (possibly) Celtic hoped Rangers would move back to the SPL in successive seasons. Thereby giving the rest of the Clubs the illusion they matter but knowing they would have the stranglehold over all the teams again.

The clubs voted for this themselves. There is no illusion - they could have changed it if they wanted to. Remember, they didn't even want old Rangers to drop out of the top flight and were upset when the fans demanded otherwise.

I'm surprised people still don't understand that all Doncaster is is a patsy for the clubs. He takes all the heat off them while they continue to make poor decisions mostly based on self interest.

The clubs didn't make a pigs ear of finding a sponsor. That is 100% Doncaster.

The clubs didn't make a pigs ear of finding a sponsor. That is 100% Doncaster.

Noone wanted to sponsor Scottish football, not for the money the clubs were after. He's said as much himself. He could have had a sponsor in place but in the long run all it would have done was devalue what is viewed as a poor product even more, and you can bet your bottom dollar the clubs were behind rejecting any deals that were on the table on that basis.

The guy comes across as a bit of a dick yes but he's exactly what the clubs want, someone who wont ruffle too many feathers and tackle the real issues in the Scottish game.

Of course he said as much himself, he's hardly going to say "I'm shit at my job".

The Barry Hearn interview where he tore Doncaster a new one was spot on. Hearn is a master promoter who has expertise in making wads of cash from average sporting spectacles. The SPFL might not be the best league in the country, but when you have a CEO who spends more time talking about its lack of quality than marketing it as an exciting product to sponsor, then you have the wrong CEO.

• Like 1

Of course he said as much himself, he's hardly going to say "I'm shit at my job".

The Barry Hearn interview where he tore Doncaster a new one was spot on. Hearn is a master promoter who has expertise in making wads of cash from average sporting spectacles. The SPFL might not be the best league in the country, but when you have a CEO who spends more time talking about its lack of quality than marketing it as an exciting product to sponsor, then you have the wrong CEO.

You are completely missing my point, the powers that be (the clubs) are stuck in the dark ages and the prospect of getting in someone like Barry Hearn, who would throw the rule book out the window (along with those who wrote it) completely terrifies them. They don't want someone to be brave and make hard decisions they want someone to maintain the status quo, which Doncaster does whilst conveniently taking all of the flack from the fans.

You are completely missing my point, the powers that be (the clubs) are stuck in the dark ages and the prospect of getting in someone like Barry Hearn, who would throw the rule book out the window (along with those who wrote it) completely terrifies them. They don't want someone to be brave and make hard decisions they want someone to maintain the status quo, which Doncaster does whilst conveniently taking all of the flack from the fans.

Exactly. The clubs voting in a Hearn type would be turkeys voting for Christmas. It's not in there interests

Lol have a go at the BBC for massively underpaying us,but cant bend over any faster for sky who shaft us far greater. Even fucking rugby league has a tv deal on sky thats more than double ours! Fuck the SPFL Shitebags

I think my issue with the BBC is that they are supposed to have some duty to broadcast programmes that reflect the national interest to some degree. You might argue that given the national sport is fitba they almost have a kind of obligation to meet the nation's appetite for coverage of that sport. Could you say that their current coverage of Scottish football does that?

As an aside irks me no end the funds that BBC Scotland gets for sports coverage as a whole pales into insignificance when compared to the cash that gets flung at the likes of Match of the Day. It's probably the main reason why most weeks I generally cut my nose off to spite my face and don't watch it.

Unless you're of those folk who have read the small small print about how you can get away without paying for a TV licence you don't have much choice in paying. Sky or BTSport might well spank Doncaster over the arse with a paddle every weekend, and sometimes on Friday nights in Aberdeen, but you can stop subscribing to them if you really want to make a point. You don't have much option but to swallow BBC's ignoring of protests outside the front door of their Scottish HQ, James Cook's informed tweets of scenes of "chaos" in Glasgow City Centre or their ridiculously shite coverage of Scottish football.

So aye, I've got no qualms whatsoever if someone wants to pose some awkward questions for the BBC.

And even more so if it delays me from the utter depression of reading what I suspect will be a rather horrible St Mirren match thread.

• Like 2