Is It Just Me?

livivoice

I understand that teams can blow hot and cold but what I struggle with is the wild differences in our home and away form.

At home we show a lot of drive and purpose and can blow teams away like Accies and SM. Remember also that since losing to Aberdeen earlier in the year we have only lost once and that was to a freak goal against Dundee.

When away as per Thistle and SM we appear heavy legged , lacking in confidence and carrying little threat.

For what its worth my attempt at an explanation is that the problem may be in their heads . If so mabye they need for the play offs to hire a psychologist to get them in the `zone`. .A psychologist would I am sure get it into their heads that they are capable of again producing the home form away from FP. This could be the difference between having the Play Off still alive after the first leg or left with the tie dead.

Or am I deluding myself as the answer quite simply is that average players produce erratic form.

Tactics as well can be blamed. Away from home we could have played with 3 men in centre of midfield made ourselves harder to beat.

Quite a few times since Baraclough took charge we've gone away with 3 or 4 recognised forwards in the team then we haven't had enough of the ball to make any impact and with our porous defence leaking goals it's been a recipe for some heavy defeats.

Fully agree with this, we cant play same shape and same team home and away and just expect same performance. we need to be much more tactically aware. For example going to Easter Road or Ibrox we should be packing the midfield to stop teams getting at our back 4.

• Like 1

Baraclough is known to have used motivational speakers since his arrival at Fir Park, so a psychologist might be the next step in his mind.

To my mind though, we play far too open away from home...thinking about the Accies game at NDP a couple of months ago, an ageing Lasley and Pearson were our midfield 2, against 3 Hamilton youngsters and hardly got a kick, if it were me I'd have played Grant in beside them. For me, its horses for courses and that is my biggest gripe with Baraclough, that he sticks far too rigidly to his 4-4-2 and the players that he plays in it.

If he goes to Ibrox or ER with anything other than 3-men in the middle we'll get picked off at some point. If we are to have any chance of winning the play-off we have to come away from the 1st leg at least even.

Baraclough is known to have used motivational speakers since his arrival at Fir Park, so a psychologist might be the next step in his mind.

To my mind though, we play far too open away from home...thinking about the Accies game at NDP a couple of months ago, an ageing Lasley and Pearson were our midfield 2, against 3 Hamilton youngsters and hardly got a kick, if it were me I'd have played Grant in beside them. For me, its horses for courses and that is my biggest gripe with Baraclough, that he sticks far too rigidly to his 4-4-2 and the players that he plays in it.

If he goes to Ibrox or ER with anything other than 3-men in the middle we'll get picked off at some point. If we are to have any chance of winning the play-off we have to come away from the 1st leg at least even.

Pretty much spot on. We need to make ourselves hard to beat away from home, especially in a 2 legged play off. We take a beating at home then the tie will almost certainly be over. 4-5-1 with Ainsworth and Johnson going forward to support Erwin (assuming McDonald is suspended).

For what its worth my attempt at an explanation is that the problem may be in their heads . If so mabye they need for the play offs to hire a psychologist to get them in the `zone`. .A psychologist would I am sure get it into their heads that they are capable of again producing the home form away from FP. This could be the difference between having the Play Off still alive after the first leg or left with the tie dead.

Unfortunately a sports psychologist wouldn't make much of a difference in the short term. Some players might respond to a few choice words but the real value comes from long term input. Much like physical strength, mental strength takes time to build.

I wasn't 'there but one of our best performances away from home was reported to be Tannadice in January.

IIRC we had Ramsden sitting in a 3 man midfield and Pearson breaking forward. We need to return to a similar shape at Ibrox/Easter Road and break with pace. Something neither Hibs or Rangers can cope with according to their fans.

I wasn't 'there but one of our best performances away from home was reported to be Tannadice in January.

IIRC we had Ramsden sitting in a 3 man midfield and Pearson breaking forward. We need to return to a similar shape at Ibrox/Easter Road and break with pace. Something neither Hibs or Rangers can cope with according to their fans.

Good point. I was there that day and I thought we played really well. A bit more composure and/or luck in the final area and we could've got something. We were also denied 2 really strong penalty claims. In fact, they were stonewallers!!!

Defending for the goals however....