The Rangers V Motherwell Spfl Playoff Final 28/05/15

Yabba's Turd

Any rumours on how sales are going? I'd imagine the club will want to keep quiet on it unless it gets over 10/11 thousand but wondering if anyone on here has heard anything.

Not going to get over 11,000 if Rangers are only getting 1,500 tickets. The South holds 4,500 IIRC, so that's 3,000 off a capacity crowd straight away

I love the positivity around here. Rangers are average and there for the taking, Rangers are nothing to fear, We will pump them, etc etc ,You`d think Will Smith + Tommy Lee Jones turned up wi their Men in Black gadgets and zapped the memory from everyone.

Were worse than average, weve shipped poor goals all season and have been beaten easily by an Icelandic pub team and an already relegated St Mirren under 20 team amongst others. Bar St Mirren weve shipped more goals and scored less than the rest of the SPL. We had the chance to dig ourselves out of this shite but bottled it against Killie, Partick,Hamilton,St Mirren + Ross County. Suddenly were going to magically arise from the dead and pump Rangers? We had a fantastic team 3 seasons ago and couldnt beat the worst Rangers team in my lifetime! Were suddenly going to do it now?

Dont get me wrong. Im praying for a win but I just cannot see it. The stars are aligning, That prick McCall will finish what he started and relegate us, Baraclough doesnt have a clue so I just dont see what he will do to make us any less pish that the other 20odd games weve had under him.

My heart is saying Well, but I just cant see past 2-0 Rangers in the first leg (just to keep our more deluded fans interested with the "if we score early were gonna win at Fir Park" patter) then play out a shitebag uninspiring draw or 1 goal loss at home to put us down.

• Like 1

Today's highlight on The Rangers media has to be the "Pubs near Fir Park" thread recommending drinking in the electric or...... the cross keys before the game :haha:

They'll have to go some as The Electric is closing it's doors on Sunday afternoon and not re-opening till Monday according to the word on the street. Bouncers enforcing Home fans & regulars at Daniels also I hear.

I love the positivity around here. Rangers are average and there for the taking, Rangers are nothing to fear, We will pump them, etc etc ,You`d think Will Smith + Tommy Lee Jones turned up wi their Men in Black gadgets and zapped the memory from everyone.

Were worse than average, weve shipped poor goals all season and have been beaten easily by an Icelandic pub team and an already relegated St Mirren under 20 team amongst others. Bar St Mirren weve shipped more goals and scored less than the rest of the SPL. We had the chance to dig ourselves out of this shite but bottled it against Killie, Partick,Hamilton,St Mirren + Ross County. Suddenly were going to magically arise from the dead and pump Rangers? We had a fantastic team 3 seasons ago and couldnt beat the worst Rangers team in my lifetime! Were suddenly going to do it now?

Dont get me wrong. Im praying for a win but I just cannot see it. The stars are aligning, That prick McCall will finish what he started and relegate us, Baraclough doesnt have a clue so I just dont see what he will do to make us any less pish that the other 20odd games weve had under him.

My heart is saying Well, but I just cant see past 2-0 Rangers in the first leg (just to keep our more deluded fans interested with the "if we score early were gonna win at Fir Park" patter) then play out a shitebag uninspiring draw or 1 goal loss at home to put us down.

Pretty much.

I've been absolutely convinced since the Partick game that we are going down, and I've been convinced for a lot longer than that that it would be Rangers coming up via the playoff.

However, as the games loom large, I'm starting to get that sick nervous/excited feeling and I'm almost allowing myself to believe we can do this!

To keep myself grounded by remembering that the last time I felt this way was prior to the Cup Final in 2011, but you never can tell what will happen on this famous Motherwell rollercoaster.

• Like 1

Couple of nice pieces from the Times.

Motherwell star Scott McDonald has no fears about Rangers trip

The former Celtic striker has played in Old Firm derbies in Govan as well as World Cup and Champions League games, so harbours no fears about the SPFL Premiership play-off final first leg.

The Australian is joined by fellow former Celtic players Stephen Pearson and Stephen McManus, while Keith Lasley and Steven Hammell each have more than a decade of experience for Motherwell.

And McDonald is convinced that his team will not be overawed by the atmosphere at Ibrox despite having only 950 fans in the 50,000 crowd.

"When the whistle blows, it's another pitch, another 90 minutes, you get on with it," the 31-year-old said.

"You can say what you want about crowds having an influence, but you have to keep a cool head and stay calm and do what you have to do. It will be no different on Thursday and Sunday.

"I will be encouraging the younger boys to try to be positive and do the right things and not panic a bit. But we have got some good young players and I don't think that will be the case.

"It will be more of a case of relishing the challenge and getting to perform on the big stage."

McDonald, who returned to Fir Park in February after leaving Millwall, added: "These games are as big as they come and probably as big as I have played in since I left Scotland. They are games everyone should look forward to. It's great to play on the big stage again.

"It could be a fantastic way to end a disappointing season. To end it on a high like this would be fantastic to take into next season.

Exclusive: Coyle turns back years to give Motherwell hope against Rangers

May 5, 1997. A date that now means little to many but so much to so few. In reality it should have been the other way about.

This was the day Rangers were set to make history. This was the day a club would celebrate. This was the day to be remembered forever. This was the day that ended up being forgotten about.

Over 50,000 fans crammed into Ibrox 18 years ago to witness the Glasgow club claim their legendary nine-in-a-row.

Thousands of pounds had been spent on the occasion, with parties planned and the champagne sitting ready to be popped. With this signifying their last home game of the 1996/97 season, this was Rangers' chance to celebrate the occasion in front of their own fans.

Understandably they were confident. A Gers team filled with superstars, only Alex McLeish's Motherwell, a collective staring down the barrel of a gun at a relegation play-off, stood in their way.

As it turned out, it was a day of cocky celebration that was to backfire spectacularly on Rangers.

After just eight minutes Ibrox was silenced by the left foot of Owen Coyle as the Fir Park striker swept a low shot into the net from 10 yards under Andy Dibble.

Things were to get worse with seven minutes remaining. After Paul Gascoigne lost the ball in the middle of the park, a quick counter led to Mickey Weir being brought down in the box by Ian Durrant, allowing Coyle to convert for a spectacular double.

It topped off a fine 2-0 victory for Motherwell, and to this day the result still stands as the last time they won at Ibrox. The victory also went a long way to securing their safety as this and a 2-2 draw with Dunfermline on the last day of the season saved them from a play-off.

Now that exact fate is staring them in the face this week as a trip to Govan awaits in the SPFL Premiership play-off final first leg, the man who scored there twice in 1997 speaks exclusively to SportTimes on how that day goes to show a repeat 18 years on can be achieved.

"I remember it well," said Coyle, who is now working in the MLS as manager of Houston Dynamo. "Rangers had spent something like £50,000 on hospitality that day and took it for granted that they would beat us.

"They were going for nine-in-a-row but we had our own agenda that day. We had to win, ironically to stay out of the play-off position that season.

"Obviously that win went a long way to ensuring that happened and I think Hibernian played Airdrie that year in the play-off.

"I think Rangers went to Tannadice the following game and won the league with a Brian Laudrup header but that day at Ibrox belonged to Motherwell.

"The great thing about that game is that it shows that if they need to try and get a win at Ibrox then it can be done."

He added: "At the time when we went there we were playing a Rangers team who really were an elite side. They could have gone toe-to-toe with anybody in Europe, as they did in the Champions League in various campaigns due to the quality in their team.

"But if we were able to do it then against that team then there's no reason why you wouldn't think Motherwell are more than capable of doing it now."

Coyle is confident Motherwell have not only the belief but the talent within them to pull off another shock at Ibrox this Thursday.

While manager Ian Baraclough has brought in a host of his own players, there is still a host of experienced heads who have performed at the home of the Glasgow giants before.

Old pros like Stephen McManus, Scott McDonald, Stephen Pearson, Stevie Hammell, Keith Lasley and John Sutton are just a few who know what to expect when stepping out on to the pitch this Thursday.

"They have a nucleus of good players in a good team," said Coyle of his old team. "I've said it before that's why Rangers will be in for two very tough games against Motherwell.

"I did the play-off games last year for BT Sport when Hamilton overcame Hibernian, and nobody thought that would happen after the first leg when Hibs were 2-0 up. That's the nature of these games.

"I've been fortunate to play in these games both north and south of the border and come out of it very well.

"They are fraught with danger, they really are. The important things about the play-off games is people stand up and be counted, that's where you see the big personalities.

"You need to handle the mental strength, handle the occasion and I'm in no doubt it will be an intriguing two games."

Having been in the United States since the turn of the year, Coyle has still kept close tabs on how things have developed in Scottish football.

And while he has been sad to see Motherwell decline over the last campaign, he knows only too well that they should not be written off yet.

"I think it's always difficult for clubs," said Coyle. "What you need to remember is what Stuart McCall and Kenny Black did for Motherwell. For three seasons what they did in terms of league placing was incredible, they were second best in the league behind Celtic.

"For Motherwell to do that consistently is testament to the job the two of them did given he is losing four or five of his best players at the end of every season.

"But where they are Motherwell still have an opportunity to stay in the league given it'll be a play-off against Rangers.

"That's the nature of football, things can change very quickly."

Eighteen years on, Coyle's two goals are living proof.

• Like 1

the thing thats pissing me off more is that while Lasley is utter shite now, in Pearson, Johnson, Ainsworth, Skippy + Erwin we have a front 5 capable of playing the non existant high tempo, pressing style Baraclough sold to the Directors, backed up by a superb impact player in Sutton. And if we had brought in a decent keeper we`d have a potentially capable defence. Yet in more than 6 months, the "manager" hasnt been capable of instilling that style of play or motivating the players to break into anything higher than second gear.

Now were stuck with 2 games where we can either redeem a season of utter shite, or go down in history as the team that THEY beat to get back into the premiership.

Here's the most recent nugget

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=283453&p=1062688852

Good idea to move it if any of the admins can?

I just seen it on the Motherwell forum laugh.png thinking we are thick for trying, well we already have four and can guarantee you thousands of Rangers fans will be in the home end, so get it up ye!

You are thick ya tool - photographic evidence or your talking pish.

Thank fuck we've got people like you to suck all that positivity away.

Aye, God forbid some folk just choose to be positive this week rather than assuming it's all a foregone conclusion with no point in turning up. Madness. :lol:

• Like 2

Here's the most recent nugget

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=283453&p=1062688852

You are thick ya tool - photographic evidence or your talking pish.

The club have been doing an excellent job of turning away the Rangers fans which is exactly why they've ended up trying to use Well Society names off the website etc (that fails too because they don't know the addresses or have the membership card).

There will undoubtedly be a few that will slip through the net, particularly those who bought their tickets before this week, but any claims to there being thousands of Rangers fans in the home end (or 30 Rangers fans with tickets together for the East Stand) are just made up. It really is that simple. And if there are any stupid enough to buy tickets for the East Stand, they'll probably get a bit of a doing and then chucked out, like what happened to a few Celtic fans in the sections around us on Skippy Sunday.

I'd just leave them to it though - presumably it's about boasting about having tickets to Sevco fans without them, even though anyone with a brain cell clocks they're almost certainly lying. It's kind of cute.

• Like 1

• Andy_P unlocked this topic