Motherwell V The Rangers Spfl Playoff Final 2Nd Leg 31/05/15

Yabba's Turd

I go to watch Spurs. Our support can be fantastic but I have seen it turn toxic at the drop of a hat! The way you guys were in both games against rangers was excellent. The singing didn't let up at all.

Yeah know what you mean. It's amazing the number of people who have commented on it. However just to bring a more realistic bent, its not always like that - at times Fir Park can resemble a morgue - with the exception of the 'Bois'. The trick now is to carry this momentum forward to the new season and have Fir Park rocking like that every other week.

I wish lee hadn't pushed moshni as the incident has totally taken away from the fact that we battered rangers and have stayed in the prem.

I'm gutted that all the media talk is about the fight and not the game.

If the punch up hadn't happened they'd have just moved a bit quicker to their current topic of the day. Which is multi-zillionaire Dave King and how he's going to be ushering in a new era of complete dominance for Rangers.

Looking back we had the tools to beat that side, the only question mark was the solidity of our defence and they stepped up when it mattered, the back 4 and keeper were sterling over both ties.

We did a great job on them and hopefully that gives us some momentum to take forward.

It certainly was a classic case of a Rangers side we should be able to beat. That was also true, however, in the Cup game where we just didn't show up (and a few other times in the previous 18 seasons).

If we had been facing a Raith Rovers or Falkirk with the same quality of players, we'd have expected to win over the 2 legs. It was just great to see us adopt the same attitude against a team from Ibrox.

If you look back on both legs I don't think I was ever in fear of The Rangers. I think many of us, myself included, were more worried about the effect of 50,000 bigots cheering them on would give them a boost, than we were about the actual footballing ability of the team itself. At fir park I was always confident we could beat them as our home form, against better teams, was pretty good. Just wish the season wasn't finished. Was very similar to last season after Aberdeen, I felt such on such a high leaving the ground and couldn't wait to get to another game. Just hope the feel good factor we had over the last week of the season can carry on to next season

Yeah know what you mean. It's amazing the number of people who have commented on it. However just to bring a more realistic bent, its not always like that - at times Fir Park can resemble a morgue - with the exception of the 'Bois'. The trick now is to carry this momentum forward to the new season and have Fir Park rocking like that every other week.

When you have got a stadium that is absolutley rocking there is no better place to be. I have seen Spurs be very quiet at times but we have had more of a habit of in-fighting this year instead of being quiet. Our away support though is totally different. Our away games can be fantastic.

My firm have got an office in Stirling so if I have to come up there I am going to try to tie it in and catch one of your games

I was always consistent. I wanted Rangers in the play off Final because they were a rotten team who had collapsed when the chips were down time and time again.

The margin of the victory was greater than I expected but as I said at the time I was pretty confident we could win at Fir Park even if we came into the tie with anything from a 0-1 deficit upwards.

I've just got round to watching Baraclough's three interviews (before, middle and after). You've got to admit that he handled that superbly. Especially the pre Ibrox one where most of the media questioning was about Rangers and how good they were and what could he do to negate their threat. He acknowledged that it had been worked on but spoke at great length about the damage we were capable of doing to them. He comes across as calm, assured and prepared. I think he can turn into a very good manager given the right circumstances.

• Like 3

totally agree with that not only did barraclough get his tactics spot on over both games he said all the right things too,if that had been mccall he would have sounded like a beaten man before a ball had been kicked.

I recall my confidence building as I watched his Ibrox pre-match. However this was tempered by the growing perception that he says what the fans want to hear.

Turns out he was absolutely on. He and Robinson deserve credit for installing confidence in a team that had it's mentality questioned throughout the season. They also deserve huge credit for having us so well drilled in such a pressurised situation.

Agree with all of the above. McCall sent us out off the back of a bad run and already beaten in the cup final with all his fannying about with formations and playing players in unfamiliar positions.

I didn't fear Rangers in a footballing sense but going down to these cunts would have been hard to get over, so I was nervous as hell before it. I think we'd all seen enough of them to know that they weren't much of a side, but that doesn't always matter when you're playing them. As my old man used to tell me when I started going in the 70's, you sometimes need to beat the cunts 3-0 to get a draw :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be sacrelege to suggest that we did not play all that well, especially in the second leg? The fact is that we really didn't have to. If we had played well you really have to wonder how many we would have put on them. Double figures over the tie must have been possible.

We did get an awful lot right, especially in the first tie. We probably played better in the recent home games against Hamilton and St Mirren. Fair play to the team for doing the business when it mattered but it is probably time to move on and rebuild our squad and rectify the obvious issues within it which resulted in us being in the play offs in the first place.

• Like 2

Our 3rd goal at Ibrox is a thing of beauty from start to finish.

It's hardly a classic but my favourite is our first at Fir Park. That beautiful moment when the crowd realises that Bell has fluffed it and rises as one, part joy, part relief - I'll never get tired of watching that!

• Like 1

Fair play to the team for doing the business when it mattered but it is probably time to move on and rebuild our squad and rectify the obvious issues within it which resulted in us being in the play offs in the first place.

Whilst the play offs will rightly be remembered for a long time, lets not forget that last season's squad took us to 2nd bottom place. It wasn't all the fault of the players - I'm sure there were other factors at play like a horrendous injury list, but if we are to improve on 11th place we have to upgrade our central midfield and defence, not ignoring our strikeforce of course. Our poor goals against tally wasn't all down to our strikers. Hopefully we see a new goalie, central defender(s) and central midfielder(s) brought in.

Would it be sacrelege to suggest that we did not play all that well, especially in the second leg? The fact is that we really didn't have to. If we had played well you really have to wonder how many we would have put on them. Double figures over the tie must have been possible.

Not sacrelege no, I do think it is a bit harsh however, The team and backroom staff had to set out the tactics perfectly, relying on our strengths and pace. It worked a treat, the second leg was all about not letting them score IMO and they never looked like coming close.

We did get an awful lot right, especially in the first tie. We probably played better in the recent home games against Hamilton and St Mirren. Fair play to the team for doing the business when it mattered but it is probably time to move on and rebuild our squad and rectify the obvious issues within it which resulted in us being in the play offs in the first place.

It's a fair question but you've kind of answered it yourself to an extent when you say "we really didn't have to".

There were some spells during the tie where we had to really step up and stand tall - the last 15 minutes at Ibrox in particular. Had we conceded a second at that stage that would have been an ultimate test of our belief and mentality yet despite the many defensive deficiencies we witnessed over the season we got through it, and we did it pretty comfortably actually.

But were never behind. We were never at a point in the proceedings where we had to throw caution to the wind.

We had executed the plan in such a measured, masterful fashion over the 180 minutes that there was simply no need to go hell for leather to turn on the all out attacking exciting football.

Looking back, there was room for improvement as we started both games by just thumping the ball away from our box. This may have been a deliberate ploy to stop them building up momentum, but they were spells when we could have tried to have created more.

• 1 month later...

Just announced - SFA officially charging us for the crowd on the pitch at the end of the game.

Everyone who ran on...nice one...hopefully you will dig in to your pockets and donate to the club if we get fined.

http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/motherwell/1326073-motherwell-charged-by-spfl-over-premiership-play-off-final-crowd-trouble/