Motherwell V The Rangers Spfl Playoff Final 2Nd Leg 31/05/15

Yabba's Turd

Motherwell punished by SPFL for fans' misconduct in Rangers match

_88169700_motherwellfans.jpg
Fans invaded the pitch in the wake of Motherwell's play-off victory over Rangers

Motherwell have been found guilty of unacceptable conduct over a series of issues surrounding last season's play-off match against Rangers.

An SPFL commission found the club guilty of offences relating to a lack of crowd control.

The governing body has, however, delayed punishment for 18 months.

Within that time, the Fir Park club must provide evidence of how they plan to address the charges against them.

Fans invaded the pitch in the aftermath of Motherwell's 3-1 second-leg win over Rangers at Fir Park, which sealed a 6-1 aggregate win and secured the Steelmen's Premiership status.

The repercussions of that misconduct from the home fans are being felt long after the event.

The commission found the Fir Park club guilty of ticketing failures, which led to problems segregating the two sets of supporters, and inadequate stewarding as Motherwell fans invaded the pitch at full time.

A failure to take action to identify those fans and one who threw a flare has led to a further charge. It will be 18 months before any punishment is handed out.

Perhaps we could tattoo the seat number onto or foreheads to facilitate recognition by the beaks at a later date?

Or just pay £500 a head in advance to cover the fine?

Or perhaps just act like responsible grown ups while still supporting our team?

To be honest all three sound equally implausible

a simply majestic day......best day watching Motherwell in over 20yrs.

If we were fined, it'd be worth every penny!! however it makes it even sweeter we've been spared a financial penalty.

and just to re-iterate again.............6-1

I might be in the minority here but the 1st leg at Ibrox for me was the highlight.

When Ainsworths 3rd hit the net, oof.

Folk just hugging each other and laughing at half time in the toilets

• Like 2

Following our punishment I'm curious as to Police Scotland's views on the punishment and the seemingly lack of any blame being apportioned to them in the "failings" identified.

Ultimately the police have the power to determine if a game can go ahead or otherwise and to make sure they do clubs have Pre-Ops meetings with them to ensure the police are satisfied suitable arrangements are in place.

With the Play Off being such a high profile encounter there will undoubtedly then have been discussions with MFC to hear what plans the club proposed to put in place for that game and, one might safely assume, various demands made by the police over and above the norm as to how many stewards they wanted in place with determinations on what kind of force they intended to deploy on the day. Let's not forget that the club will have paid considerably for this "advice" and "approval" for the game to go ahead.

So if Motherwell FC are being seen to be culpable here, what of the body who will have instructed them on the levels of security required, who now having seen that advice as being proved to be seemingly inaccurate and the level of security viewed to be inappropriate, may perversely benefit from being able to point the very failings they contributed to that day as a way to have their budgets increased!

Nice work if you can get it.

• Like 2

It's not possible to put enough stewards between the stand and the park to stop people coming on. Their is no way the club, the stewards or the police can stop a couple of hundred people getting over the wall if they are determined to.

The SPFL obviously think handing out a few bans might discourage it happening again. It'll be interesting to see how the club react.

It's not possible to put enough stewards between the stand and the park to stop people coming on. Their is no way the club, the stewards or the police can stop a couple of hundred people getting over the wall if they are determined to.

The SPFL obviously think handing out a few bans might discourage it happening again. It'll be interesting to see how the club react.

That's kind of my point. If you blame us then by extension the police are also culpable to an extent since we will have been guided by them.

The difference is ofcourse we'll take the flak and the blame and they'll keep quiet and when the time is right use it as an opportunity to nudge up their budget.

• Like 2

I might be in the minority here but the 1st leg at Ibrox for me was the highlight.

When Ainsworths 3rd hit the net, oof.

Folk just hugging each other and laughing at half time in the toilets

Ainsworth's goal was a thing of beauty. It was great to score a 3rd, but to score a 3rd of that quality was just rubbing it in.

That's kind of my point. If you blame us then by extension the police are also culpable to an extent since we will have been guided by them.

The difference is ofcourse we'll take the flak and the blame and they'll keep quiet and when the time is right use it as an opportunity to nudge up their budget.

I'm no fan of the police but I don't think they are to blame at all. Their horses sorted it out eventually.

As I said you can't stop people getting in the park if they want to. The SPFL seem to expect the club to take some sort of action which will discourage people from running on in future. So it's either hand out a few bans or get punished.

Spot on Andy. The Police will have vetted the kick off time, ticketing arrangements, segregation, number of stewards, location of stewards, behaviour of stewards et al. As you say they take a keen interest in arrangements beforehand but if the s**t hits the fan afterwards, they're nowhere to be seen. Police Scotland really is in a mess but I digress. I've yet to see the full report and the club's response to it.

I've watched back the full games a few times but the footage I love most are a couple of videos of Ainsworth's goal that came from the Rangers end. I have watched these again and again delighting in the shock and utter disbelief from the cretins around the people filming the goals.

"Yuv loast it Ranjurs" Indeed you have. Indeed you have!!

• Like 1