Motherwell V The Rangers Spfl Playoff Final 2Nd Leg 31/05/15

Yabba's Turd

No one ran on when we beat Celtic on the final day to cost them the title.....

Which was all down to impeccable behaviour, nothing to do with a continuous line of stewards round the entire touchline...

... And it was tricky to be jumping on to the pitch, while doubled up laughing

• Like 2

I've seen another photo where the line of stewards looks even more prominent but I've always thought this was a great image of that afternoon....

helicopter4.jpg

In terms of our statement today, regardless of the fact it's only being pursued because of who we beat that day the club have come up with a measured and reasonable response. There are times when you just have to play politics, do and say what they want you to say to help move on and unfortunately this one of them.

• Like 1

What i was implying was that if we get into the top six and have Skippy Sunday II then there won't be a pitch invasion.

Not cause our fans support Celtic but for the reasons no one went on that day.

Fuck all to do with the ring of steel around the pitch then? Some logic you possess.

In terms of our statement today, regardless of the fact it's only being pursued because of who we beat that day the club have come up with a measured and reasonable response.

That may well be the case Andy but I would have liked the club to have released a slightly more detailed response - not a blow by blow account but a summary of the key points to mirror the SPFL's statement. There are still some unanswered questions in my mind ie the conduct of some Rangers fans who threw missiles onto the pitch.

We shouldn't be getting into what Rangers fans did that day. There's nothing we can do about that now.

The statement issued was spot on. MFC have asked the fans to stay off the pitch in future, and have told you what will happen if you ignore that request. That's all that can be done at this stage.

You don't know need to know the ins and outs of every decision made, and the thought process behind them, at board level.

• Like 2

MFC have asked the fans to stay off the pitch in future, and have told you what will happen if you ignore that request. That's all that can be done at this stage.

You don't know need to know the ins and outs of every decision made, and the thought process behind them, at board level.

I've no problem with the pitch statement. I'm not suggesting a detailed rebuttal of every point nor a comprehensive justification of every action - just a summary to prove to the fans that we simply didn't roll over to the SPFL's kangaroo court. For example - stewarding - "the club provided twice the minimum level of stewarding required and there is no further official guidance on this". Next point.....

Being an evolution skipping, sub human such as some of those Rangers fans that blackened our ground in May should immediately be punishable by a 10 year stadium ban at the least, Euthanasia as a more extreme response.

Witnessing some of these cunts in flesh makes me die a little bit inside knowing I need to inhabit the same spot of land as them.

• Like 1

I've seen another photo where the line of stewards looks even more prominent but I've always thought this was a great image of that afternoon....

attachicon.gifhelicopter4.jpg

In terms of our statement today, regardless of the fact it's only being pursued because of who we beat that day the club have come up with a measured and reasonable response. There are times when you just have to play politics, do and say what they want you to say to help move on and unfortunately this one of them.

mine :good:CelticHome22May05142.jpg

• Like 1

Surely there were as many yellow jackets in attendance at the play-off game last year as there were on duty at Skippy Sunday? Meaning that it would have been possible to form that 'ring of steel' again...

If you look at the photo half the yellow jackets are polis. Last May it was all stewards who don't get any respect and probably don't think it's worth their while restraining people (particularly kids).

You would need to ask someone who ran on the pitch if more police would have made them less likely to do it.

• Like 1

If you look at the photo half the yellow jackets are polis. Last May it was all stewards who don't get any respect and probably don't think it's worth their while restraining people (particularly kids).

You would need to ask someone who ran on the pitch if more police would have made them less likely to do it.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here; but I didn't think all Stewards are allowed to 'restrain' people? Something to do with training/insurance etc. that only a certain few have.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here; but I didn't think all Stewards are allowed to 'restrain' people? Something to do with training/insurance etc. that only a certain few have.

Stewards will also be acting on Police advice as to what they should or should not do. At big games, its unlikely that stewards would do very much without Police sayso.

There will be many points the club can make to respond to the issues they have been found to be at fault with. One of these will be to point to this public announcement - it's all part of the game to be seen to be responding and doing the right thing. Responses involving steward numbers, police advice and the ticket policy will be addressed in a private manner, as they should be.

Two things strike about this whole fan behaviour thing.

1. The publication of the findings of the enquiry into the aftermath of the play off game has had little positive effect on the behaviour of fans of certain clubs, Motherwell included. Dundee Utd, Hearts and Celtic have had cause in recent weeks to publically condemn the behaviour of an element of their support and in some cases action has been taken against those that have been identified. I sense that the footballing authorities have had more than enough and the message to the Clubs is..... "If you do not identify and deal severely with wrongdoers, then you, The Club, will be hammered. No excuses, you are responsible."

2. Motherwell need to be seen to be heeding the warning given in the Report and to be taking action. However they are reluctant to actually ban any of the people who ran onto the pitch (viewing it more as a celebration rather than hooliganism), despite this being a requirement of the same Report. Perhaps they are using the ploy of being unable to identify those involved.....that excuse has certainly been successfully employed at Celtic Park on more than one occasion. However, and perhaps in line with my first paragraph, they are giving notice that they will have no choice in future and people will be identified and action taken. Time for fans to take notice or suffer the consequences.

A word on the Bois. The support they provided at Hamilton was fantastic and you could see the players greatly appreciated their backing and the atmosphere generated. However, (just before kick off) there was an issue with smoke pellets. Admittedly only the once, but yet again a total disregard for the pleas of the Club. Fortunately, and despite much taunting, the Police and Stewards did not overreact and the situation did not escalate. I fear that common sense is not going to prevail and, remembering that MFC is effectively on probation, sooner rather than later the footballing authorities are going to take a much firmer line. Perhaps a sizeable fine which the Club can ill afford.

I sense that the footballing authorities have had more than enough and the message to the Clubs is..... "If you do not identify and deal severely with wrongdoers, then you, The Club, will be hammered. No excuses, you are responsible."

I remain to be convinced. When I see several thousand Rangers or Celtic fans identified and banned for sectarianism or crowd disorder then I'll believe it.

• Like 1

I remain to be convinced. When I see several thousand Rangers or Celtic fans identified and banned for sectarianism or crowd disorder then I'll believe it.

You do know that's never gonna happen tho .Look what happened when the shit brigade wrecked our south stand .A few token arrests .Scotlands finest stand by and watch .

No one ran on when we beat Celtic on the final day to cost them the title.....

We had stupid amount of stewards and police in for that game. And actually 1 fan did get on at the south stand end of the east.. if we used the same level of stewards at any other game the " heavy handed / OTT." stewarding argument would be trotted out by detain sections

You do know that's never gonna happen tho .Look what happened when the shit brigade wrecked our south stand .A few token arrests .Scotlands finest stand by and watch .

I don't think it's about how the police do or don't deal with trouble. I think it's more about forcing the clubs to take responsibility for identifying trouble makers within their own fan base, banning them and passing details to the police when requested.

Celtic taking action against those involved in the Stranraer shenanigans is a prime example of how the game has changed. They certainly would have been less willing to act several years ago. Anne Begg's recent statements on behalf of Hearts is another sign that Clubs will act to protect their position. It'll be interesting to see if Dundee United are able/willing to identify those involved in destroying seats at the weekend.

I agree it's harder to deal with several thousand fans belting out sectarian bile, and I don't see shit loads of police or stewards wading in any time soon. I do think Clubs, including Celtic and Rangers, will be punished though when it continues and they will be asked to identify those involved. Sadly, fining the Clubs will do little to stop those determined to carry on singing their little ditties.

Whatever, it does feel like the football authorities are taking a much harder stance and clubs like Motherwell could well bear the brunt of that approach.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Its interesting that the SFA's independent report concludes that the Police, SFA itself and the stadium company were not to blame for the shameful cup final scenes. Neither club was to blame for the behaviour of the fans. Contrast this with the kangaroo court and subsequent report which hammered us after last year's play off final. If this new report is to be made public why wasn't our report made public? I suspect that the contents and recommendations would not have stood up to scrutiny.