Next Season's Strip

Happy Dosser

in English. UBH'S mock up but the sash goes from the opposite shoulder. and the mfc embroidered logo is amber to contrast the claret sash

I suspected that it would go in the opposite direction as the sash graphic on all the promo stuff (season book) goes in that direction. Do you know the shirt template that Macron have given us?

Am I the only one who doesn't want spoilers of what the strips will look like? It's not going to be much of a launch if everyone already knows what it looks like.

Before there's any smart-arse comments like "don't read the thread then", I read the thread to find out information about when it will be launched, if it's been launched, who the sponsor will be, what designs UBH has dreamt up...

Am I the only one who doesn't want spoilers of what the strips will look like? It's not going to be much of a launch if everyone already knows what it looks like.

Before there's any smart-arse comments like "don't read the thread then", I read the thread to find out information about when it will be launched, if it's been launched, who the sponsor will be, what designs UBH has dreamt up...

I probably agree Stu, I enjoy the guessing and creating fantasy kits, however, when it gets to the point that there is no guess work required there isn’t much use in mocking it up. The alleged kit design has been so well described on here that I think it is now best to wait for the official pictures. However, It will be interesting to see if all of the in the know people’s predictions are correct when the top is finally released. I am hopeful (and excited) about the prospect of them using the MFC script badge that I redrew for the 125 retro top, as that is in keeping with the style they used back in the day. I think we just now wait for the release. :thumbup:

Am I the only one who doesnt like the 'script' badge?

Much prefer the 'emblem' badge myself.

I think it’s to help create a 70s retro feel harking back to the days of Pettigrew and Graham. I am not opposed to it being used for the right reasons and any return to the diagonal sash would seem like a legitimate excuse. I’m biased as I championed it’s return (the original monogram and not the other font that we use from time to time on training kit). It looked superb on our 125 retro top and I am sure this will be no different.

spgneh.jpg

It seems that we need only speculate the design of the away kit then?

I'm happy with the last description of our home shirt, should be a belter! Will we still be talking about it in 40 years time?

It seems that we need only speculate the design of the away kit then?

I'm happy with the last description of our home shirt, should be a belter! Will we still be talking about it in 40 years time?

Yes the away kit is still fair game. Lol

It takes a lot for a club kit to reach iconic status and it is usually associated with success on the park. In my opinion we only have five or six home tops that I would class as iconic and in my opinion these are:

1. Our first ever C&A top used from 1913-1924 (Toffs can supply this without the Bradford City badge, however, I am sure that I read somewhere that they charge extra for not sewing the badge on! We copied Bradford’s top at the time in an effort to emulate their success).

2. Our 1932 Championship winning shirt (the Well shop are currently selling a nice Copa retro version of this top, however, unlike the original it has a MFC monogram stitched onto the shirt (this was not on the original shirt and it didn’t feature on our tops until 1969).

3. Our 1952 Scottish Cup shirt (this was similar in design to the 1932 shirt, with the exception of the white collar and amber cuffs)

4. Our 1960s Umbro crew necked claret hooped ‘signature’ top (In conjunction with Puma and myself the Well shop produced a 125th Anniversary version of this top) At one time Toffs did sell a long sleeved version of this shirt, however, they appear to have discontinued it. They now sell only one Motherwell retro shirt (the unforgettable one season 1972-73 Amber shirt).

5. Our 1973-74 Umbro Claret sash top is an odd one as we never won anything wearing this top. It has gained iconic status purely from the players who wore it. At one time The Well Shop did sell a retro version of this top, however, there were a few historical errors with their version. Bizarrely when this shirt was released in the 70s it came with two different collars, one design for the long sleeve and one for the short sleeve (don’t ask me why!) On The Well Shop release they put the short sleeve collar on to the long sleeve version of the shirt. The monogram stitched onto this shirt was also the wrong font. These two small points would not bother 99% of the buying public and only really effect someone as historically detailed obsessed as me!

6. Our 1991 Admiral Scottish Cup top (enough said!)

You could make a case for a few others, however, these are probably the main iconic shirts from our kit history.

I think a lot of it is down to when you first started going to football. For me, a "proper" Motherwell kit is one of the Xara ones with a claret band, white shorts and white collar, despite the fact that that's a relatively rare combination over the last 40 years.

I think a lot of it is down to when you first started going to football. For me, a "proper" Motherwell kit is one of the Xara ones with a claret band, white shorts and white collar, despite the fact that that's a relatively rare combination over the last 40 years.

I agree Yassin it really depends when you first attended games, for me that was the 1960s, however, historians not associated with Motherwell would probably select the similar shirts that I chose. Iconic shirts tend to differ from the tops that people feel attached to from their childhood and usually have some historical significance to the club as a whole. Different shirt designs can have an emotional attachment for some people, however, they will not be iconic in the broader sense. I designed our 2006-07 home kit and whilst I am emotionally attached to that shirt, the team that wore it achieved nothing of note. Although not easy, you need to be able to distance yourself from any emotional attachment to a particular design and look at the historical significance the kit had.

• Like 1

I think our home kit should always have a hoop/band........however not disappointed with the sash as have happy memories of attending Fir Park around this time

Remember getting a "Top Mill" replica home kit with the hoop for Christmas 1974 and was gutted when the next seasons kit was changed to the sash............only for my mum to un pick the hoop and re stitch it back on diagonally with her sewing machine :queen:

I'm also a fan of white shorts

I agree Yassin it really depends when you first attended games, for me that was the 1960s, however, historians not associated with Motherwell would probably select the similar shirts that I chose. Iconic shirts tend to differ from the tops that people feel attached to from their childhood and usually have some historical significance to the club as a whole. Different shirt designs can have an emotional attachment for some people, however, they will not be iconic in the broader sense. I designed our 2006-07 home kit and whilst I am emotionally attached to that shirt, the team that wore it achieved nothing of note. Although not easy, you need to be able to distance yourself from any emotional attachment to a particular design and look at the historical significance the kit had.

The 2006'07 effort was one that I wasn't convinced about at the time but it grew on my in later years. I think it was the collar gave me doubts. Being a plain white verging on the flappy collar there was just something about it that took something away from the overall look. Worn as Scott McDonald used to wear it I thought it looked better and gave the kit a different feel to it. We also had the odd occasion where we wore the away shorts from that season's strip which again subtly changed the appearance.

MOTHERWELL_310307N.jpg070507_MOTHERWELL_F.jpg

1055113722.jpg

The 2006'07 effort was one that I wasn't convinced about at the time but it grew on my in later years. I think it was the collar gave me doubts. Being a plain white verging on the flappy collar there was just something about it that took something away from the overall look. Worn as Scott McDonald used to wear it I thought it looked better and gave the kit a different feel to it. We also had the odd occasion where we wore the away shorts from that season's strip which again subtly changed the appearance.

As with any design it usually ends up slightly different from the initial concept. The shirt was a homage to our white collar 1950s hooped sleeve shirt (Apart from this design we haven’t had hooped sleeves since 1958). The shirt was meant to have all of our notable (and some not so notable names sublimated onto the claret chest and arm hoops), however, due to cost the name idea was ditched. It’s a pity as this would have made the shirt a bit more unique and it’s a shame that it was dropped. The collar also changed slightly as my original design was more crew neck than V neck. The original quick sketch is available to look at here.

As with any design it usually ends up slightly different from the initial concept. The shirt was a homage to our white collar 1950s hooped sleeve shirt (Apart from this design we haven’t had hooped sleeves since 1958). The shirt was meant to have all of our notable (and some not so notable names sublimated onto the claret chest and arm hoops), however, due to cost the name idea was ditched. It’s a pity as this would have made the shirt a bit more unique and it is a shame that it was dropped. The collar also changed slightly as my original design was more crew neck than V neck. The original quick sketch is available to look at here.

Not strictly true, but, if it massages an/or ego(s) - batter in. It was ditched along with any other quirks the grand design featured to suit a template already in production for St Johnstone & ready for sale in a Perth distribution warehouse operated by the kit manaufacturer. That information was courtesy of a Xara representative who is still employed in the rag trade.

Hardly exclusive, it did work well as our amateur teams' kit for a few seasons & may well still be tucked away in good condition.

Not strictly true, but, if it massages an/or ego(s) - batter in. It was ditched along with any other quirks the grand design featured to suit a template already in production for St Johnstone & ready for sale in a Perth distribution warehouse operated by the kit manaufacturer. That information was courtesy of a Xara representative who is still employed in the rag trade

I didn’t know that information and I was always under the impression that the kit was produced to match the submitted competition designs (What is the point in having a competition if the shirt has already been pre designed by Xara?). I had assumed that St.Johnstone had just nicked our bespoke template.

I didn’t know that information and I was always under the impression that the kit was produced to match the submitted competition designs (What is the point in having a competition if the shirt has already been pre designed by Xara?). I had assumed that St.Johnstone had just nicked our bespoke template.

The winner is the closest to a design they already have in production.

I'm sure the validity of being our kit being 'bespoke' was done to death around that time. You did say in your own words 'As with any design it usually ends up slightly different from the initial concept'.

You did say in your own words 'As with any design it usually ends up slightly different from the initial concept'.

It can change (I work in the design industry and initial ideas and concepts change all the time), however, if Xara have already designed a kit and they just match ‘the winner’ to their closest template you would be entitled to feel slightly cheated (however, i understand the economics behind this). I am sure it was Flow (he sat on the judging panel with John Boyle) who said to me that the sublimated players name idea was dropped due to cost, however, he was probably just letting me down gently. I remember the away kit winner (I can’t remember his name) said to me that his submitted design didn’t really look much like the final shirt, so I have to be content that it was pretty close to my rough sketch.

No matter what style,make,design etc of home or away kit we end up with it will be ruined by a sponsors logo. I know we need the sponsorship money but there should always be a sponsor free option on sale, we did it a few seasons ago so don't see why we can't do it now.