Next Season's Strip

Happy Dosser

I don’t buy replica tops, however, this seems to be a problem that not only effects Motherwell but other clubs as well. I am no expert on the application of sponsors logos or shirt numbers, however, maybe someone with more knowledge than me can explain why this happens. Interesting to note that the players shirts, in the main always seem to be fine.

How many strips will the players go through in a season though? More than one I suspect. Even at that, sponsors and numbers do get torn off in games from time to time.

My tops from the Puma days are still fine, carrying forward Onto the two Macron strips I also own. I reckon it could be hit or miss. Some will apply perfectly every time and some will peel off after a week or two.

The original point was by a guy who said he'd worn the shirt about 12 times (I think?), I suppose a player might not wear a shirt that many? Even if they had 1 home and 1 away for the season, that's maybe 30 times and 10 times they'd wear each, if they play every week, and they only wear it for 2 hours, not all day, although I'd imagine the washing is the largest factor in the wear and tear...

I'd guess in reality they might get 2 or 3 home shirts, that might only see 20-30 hours wear and 10-15 washes?

I've never had any issues with the print on the recent shirts be it Macron, Puma, Canterbury etc and I wear them fairly regularly for 5s and 7s maybe two or three times a week. The only one I had problems with was the Pony home shirt from the 96-98 with the kind of felt manufacturers logo which just fell off after time.

As far as print peeling goes, most team shirts I've had are alright on that front. The only one that springs to mind is an Adidas LA Galaxy away shirt where the sponsors logo and print on the back has just gone completely and an Adidas Deportivo home jersey where the sponsors logo was pretty much an iron on job and is fully cracked. Other than that the ones I wear regularly stand up to repeat washes pretty well.

I've kept every Motherwell top I've owned since the Xara and Motorola days, and there has not been a single issue with lettering coming off.

My Macron one from last season has no transferable lettering left and this year it is going the same way. Not the best for a £45 shirt.

I won't be buying another shirt until they change manufacturer.

The cash converters logo from my home Macron top from last season is peeling off (not too displeased about that) and the cash converters logo from my petrol blue puma top is also peeling off (again, happy about that) so I thought that it was an issue with the quality of the logo rather than the material. However, the macron shoulder bits are now peeling off too so not sure what to think now.

I remember when names on shirts where first trialled in a match, after about 30 minutes a few players were running about the park with some letters missing. I am not sure why some peel and some don’t, however, if anyone has the answer I would love to know.

you want a full ishikawa diagram? or my guess that if they applied by a heat sealing process then it's 1 or 2, of 4 likely factors among dozens of variables

1. raw material,
  2. operator error
  3. end user error
  4. seal temperature, time or pressure variables not being applied correctly

Im away to take a shot of vodka and swich off from work mode

Ps my strips have been fine, get worn about 5-10 times at most mind

• Like 1

1. raw material,
  2. operator error
  3. end user error
  4. seal temperature, time or pressure variables not being applied correctly

As most shirts are probably okay, I would doubt whether the raw material will be the problem. Operator error could be an issue as I am sure some will be better than others at the process. I know we apply the shirt names and numbers, however, I wonder if we also apply the sponsors logo, or do the shirts arrive with it already attached?

If anyone has an issue with their shirt, I am sure the club shop will be only too happy to help solve the problem. :)