Next Season's Strip

Happy Dosser

Is there any particular reason we changed the shade of amber?

I think it is down to the colour that the manufacturer is able, or willing, to supply. The Adidas kit from the early eighties was more yellow than amber.

If you have a look on YouTube at the sash kit we wore when beating Celtic in the mid seventies at Celtic Park, the amber again looks pretty light, and the claret looks quite a deep shade. Looks good to me though, and Willie Pettigrew and Bobby Graham are awesome, so even if you are not interested in the colours feel free to have a look. If I knew how, I would post a link. My late Dad, a 'well fan since the 1940s, always reckoned it should be a darker shade.

It is not a major issue with me, but there would be no harm in them getting it right, if there is a right, and then keeping it right.

Indeed, and aesthetically it has probably helped make the various kits look better, the lighter amber on both the sash kit and the nearly all amber admiral kit being cases in point.

It is not a major issue, but some consistency might be nice. We are in the fortunate situation of having colours which no other team share (well Bradford and maybe a couple more obscure ones) so no harm in being proud of them and looking after them.

• Like 1

Is there any particular reason we changed the shade of amber?

Purely down to the manufacture. Motherwell will supply their registered pantone colours and it will be up to the different makers to match them.

My late Dad, a 'well fan since the 1940s, always reckoned it should be a darker shade.

The amber shade on our early shirts (1913-28) was to the darker end of the spectrum. The shade used from the 30s to the early 60s was a much brighter amber. The chart below will give you a general idea of the range of different ambers to yellows we have used over the years. My preference is for either dark amber or amber. In my opinion the more yellow end of the spectrum should never be used. Our club colours are claret and amber not claret and yellow.

2jal2mx.jpg

• Like 1

Darkest amber with full claret hoop with white shorts and hooped socks for home kit for me and white strip with thin single claret and single amber hoops on top for away kit. The latter like 1960s floodlight strip.

Would accept black socks with claret and amber tops for home kit as above.

I'm not sure we have an "official" shade of amber - if we do, we certainly miss the mark on a regular basis. I remember the 91 kit being a darker shade, but it has been pretty variable over the years.

The club standarised both claret and amber to pantone references to ensure uniformity going forward. Can't remember what they are exactly but I could dig it out if anyone wants them.

The club standarised both claret and amber to pantone references to ensure uniformity going forward. Can't remember what they are exactly but I could dig it out if anyone wants them.

Would be interested to see what they are - even if the kit manufacturers seem to ignore them.

Claret - Pantone 229C

Amber - Pantone 1235C

Or at least they were

Correct they are the official Pantone colours. Previous to that they were Pantone 216 and Pantone 123. I worked for the design company who handled the corporate design work for Motherwell at the time John Boyle took over. We were the official design agency for a few of John Boyle’s other companies, and part of the deal meant doing some design work for Motherwell.

There is little to choose between the old and the recent amber, however, the recent claret leans a little more to the maroon side of the colour spectrum. I have sampled each colour below to demonstrate the subtle difference in tone.

rrnm11.jpg

• Like 1

As far as the strips go, Pantone use a different colour system for textile dyes than for print though, don't they?

I haven’t got a clue, however, I would imagine that the end goal would be to still match a clubs corporate Pantone colours as near as possible. In my job I used to mix inks to match various colours and managed to get them pretty spot on most of the time. However, there, was always a slight plus or minus tolerance each time you mixed a new batch. I would imagine textile dyes will be mixed in a similar way, however, someone with more knowledge than me may be able to enlighten us.

A very quick mock up to show that last years Lazio Macron home template would be a suitable stand in for the Umbro 70s claret sash design. However, as with all sash tops there would be an issue with regard to the sponsors logo.

9qvk7b.jpg

I would've loved this top to have been worn at our last two games.

• Like 3