Next Season's Strip

Happy Dosser

If any of you recall the Leeds Utd game and how good and how much impact that relatively simple strip had, it's the way forward.

I was honoured to be presented with the task of designing the Anniversary badge for that top. Our iconic bespoke 1960s top has always been my favourite Well shirt. However, we are in the age where the design template is king, although we are fortunate that most manufactures will usually adapt them to suit our needs (this is where choosing the correct template is vital). The template format was popularised by Admiral in the 70s and prior to that manufactures would more or less supply you with any design that you requested. Sadly unless you are a big team, those bespoke days are long gone.

Here are some other shots from that Leeds game. Unfortunately for the players the top was designed for leisure wear and not match wear, consequently, it would have become very heavy to wear in the rain.

o89aiq.jpg

• Like 3

My first game was in '74, so I'll always have great memories of the 'sash' strip. It was 10 years before I saw a Motherwell team wearing a top with the hoop/band on it.

The hoop may be considered our traditional strip, but it's only been used in just over half of our 129 year history...68 to 61 or thereabouts.

I loved the sash strip. Simply because it was the time I started supporting the Well. The young ones will love this. The badge was separate and you had to sow it on. Well my mum did.

To be fair to Macron, not a huge fan of the home top collar for this past season, but the material was a step up from the cheap Puma pish.

The anniversary top was and is a belter, but as mentioned a tad heavy to wear during matches. That strip and sox were the best combo I have seen for some time.

• Like 1

I always prefer our home top to have a claret hoop/band, however, I would accept a one off claret sash as long as we move back to the hoop the following season. I can’t remember who said it, however, an ex international player/manger once said, “good teams do not wear bad kits”. If the jester kit has taught us anything, kit design always looks better with a traditional, simple and classy approach.

10153118_700647786658277_461493634562319

Speaking of Leeds- the Admiral strip that followed the sash one- a claret and white stripe the full length of the sleeves and a very bright yellow was a monstrosity . Skin tight and made of the roughest nylon material . No repeat of that please.

Black socks???? Just plain Naw!

I had an Admiral poster on my wall as a boy around that time which showed all the strips they produced, including ours. They were mostly colour variations on the same theme but our white away strip was a cracker, as was the Leeds top. The less said about the brown Coventry away top the better!

As a shirt traditionalist, these, sort of designs give me nightmares, however, at least at Motherwell we have never really embraced off the wall designs. The neon yellow away and the jester kit is the closest that we have come in recent years to being slightly more anarchic with our shirt design.

The top in itself wasn't that bad. Feyenoord and Blackburn show that a "halfs" top can work.

Agreed, however, both those clubs traditionally wear that design of shirt, consequently, If you presented Feyenoord with a hooped shirt the fans would probably not fully embrace the concept. We have had some decent home tops without the hoop, however, our jester kit was such a departure from the norm that it stood out like a sore thumb. For some reason fans think it is acceptable to revisit well loved designs like the claret sash kit, however, I can’t see Motherwell going down the jester home homage route anytime soon. Our time for design experimentation appeared to be in the 70s and out with that period the claret hoop has been utilised more often than not. All the recent speculation of the return of the claret sash may well be nonsense, however, if I was to bet on any home top making a reappearance it probably would be that one. On a personal and historic kit level I would stick with the hoop every time, although we will just need to wait and see what Macron come up with.

I always feel when we release a a strip in mid July we are missing a trick. I'm not saying people won't buy them however there maybe a few folk who would maybe buy one for going away on holiday etc but with it being released so late on this year some may decide against it

Certainly when I was younger, I'd have got them for my holidays, but they were rarely out on time.

Now I wait until January and get it half price.

:lol: