2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

David

I figured a thread dedicated to our pre-season shenanigans was worth creating, with confirmed games updated in the opening post. Thus far we've got;

July 7th - Borussia Monchengladbach under 23's vs Motherwell (7pm local time) - Rheden, Holland

July 9th - SC Heerenveen vs Motherwell (7pm local time) - Drachten, Holland

July 18th - Livingston vs Motherwell (3pm) - Livingston

July 24th - Motherwell vs Preston North End (7pm) - Livingston

I'll try and update it as games are announced.

• Like 1

from Twitter

"Tuesday 7th July in Rheden, and whilst still to be 100% confirmed, is likely to be @borussia U23s"

and

"Club is at the final stages of confirming 4, possibly 5, other pre-season matches. With pitch renovations having been delayed due to the play-off with Rangers, most matches are likely to be away from Fir Park. As soon as games are confirmed, we will let you all know."

When does pre season training start this year? If our first friendly is on 7 July the players must be starting back pretty early. Last season our first publicised friendly was 9 July against Fulham with the Stjarnan games coming in Mid July.

• Like 1

I've lived in Nottingham for 18 years & every year I hope we might have a pre-season tour down this way.

We could play the likes of Mansfield Town, Notts County, Chesterfield, Alfreton Town.

Would be nice from a purely selfish point of view...

When does pre season training start this year? If our first friendly is on 7 July the players must be starting back pretty early. Last season our first publicised friendly was 9 July against Fulham with the Stjarnan games coming in Mid July.

Does the season not start a bit earlier because of the Euros next year?

• Like 1

If you are heading out to Drachten on 9th July and are looking for any local info give me a shout, I have 3 -4 trips a year to that area (Company HQ is just outside Leeuwarden) about 10 miles from Drachten,

Lewi & Groningen are the only 2 decent sized places in the area for a night out, although the whole Friesland area of the Netherlands is not exactly Party Central especially mid week.

Not easy to get direct to the heart of the area very quickly from Scotland, my route of choice is the Edin - Ams flight, pick up a hire car & depending on traffic it's a 1 1/2 - 2 hr drive. If doing this go by the A7 then cross the ZuiderZee Dam, basically it is a 20 mile stretch of road that goes straight across the North Sea and about 100 mtrs at its widest point, absolutely stunning (google it).

You can also get the NS (Dutch Train) direct from Schiphol Airport to either Lewi or Gron and that takes about 2 hrs but its much cheaper than hiring a car.

I can also give you reasonably priced, good hotels in the region if needed. I nearly always stay in the Hardigarijp Hotel in Hurdygayp only because it's handy for the Dutch guys taking me for a drink !

All that said, the beer is good and one of the few places in Central Europe that produces & bottles Whisky is just down the road in a town called Sneek, also the Dutch equivalent of Gin, Jenever, is produced in the Friesland region around Drachten.

• Like 4

Yes, looking into stopping in Amsterdam for the week except for the 9th, when I'll relocate to Heerenveen or Drachten

We are going from Liverpool to Amsterdam. Staying there and travelling to Drachten by train. Hopefully a 7pm kick off means we can get train back to amsterdam afterwards.

Still waiting to see when the kick-offs are, that's one reason why I'll stop in Drachten or Heerenveen to save bothering with public transporting to/from Amsterdam at who-knows-what time. Hopefully the frequent sprinter service to Rheden means it can be done in the day.

If you are heading out to Drachten on 9th July and are looking for any local info give me a shout, I have 3 -4 trips a year to that area (Company HQ is just outside Leeuwarden) about 10 miles from Drachten,

Lewi & Groningen are the only 2 decent sized places in the area for a night out, although the whole Friesland area of the Netherlands is not exactly Party Central especially mid week.

Not easy to get direct to the heart of the area very quickly from Scotland, my route of choice is the Edin - Ams flight, pick up a hire car & depending on traffic it's a 1 1/2 - 2 hr drive. If doing this go by the A7 then cross the ZuiderZee Dam, basically it is a 20 mile stretch of road that goes straight across the North Sea and about 100 mtrs at its widest point, absolutely stunning (google it).

You can also get the NS (Dutch Train) direct from Schiphol Airport to either Lewi or Gron and that takes about 2 hrs but its much cheaper than hiring a car.

I can also give you reasonably priced, good hotels in the region if needed. I nearly always stay in the Hardigarijp Hotel in Hurdygayp only because it's handy for the Dutch guys taking me for a drink !

All that said, the beer is good and one of the few places in Central Europe that produces & bottles Whisky is just down the road in a town called Sneek, also the Dutch equivalent of Gin, Jenever, is produced in the Friesland region around Drachten.

What about trains from Amsterdam to that area mate. Are they regular ?

Dutch efficiency is even more anal than German efficiency..so that's a Yes !!

I I R C the trains sort of run through the night on certain routes, some of the ones up to Friesland carry on through to Denmark and Germany. Although check that these ones stop at some of the smaller stations

• Like 1

Dutch efficiency is even more anal than German efficiency..so that's a Yes !!

I I R C the trains sort of run through the night on certain routes, some of the ones up to Friesland carry on through to Denmark and Germany. Although check that these ones stop at some of the smaller stations

Cheers mate.

Thanks Andy, never really left, always read with interest, just don't post these days.

Although, this topic was right up my street due to my frequent visits to the area and many work colleagues who live in the vicinity.

• Like 1

Ah all this talk of european away days, planes trains and automobiles in July, whats the best hotel etc..reminds me of the good old days when we were a Europa and Champions league team.☺

The thread when we just drew Nancy in the UEFA cup was brilliant. Pages and pages of folk describing how and when they were going. Great days.

Me being me tried to get to Amsterdam by train... too much hassle and not enough time to plod over for just a wee break. But that's the flights being booked direct from Edinburgh and nicely timed for arriving and getting away again.

Hotel in Amsterdam sussed out and time to tap into B. K. for his recommendations on where to stay at Drachten/Heerenveen.