2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

David

It would seem that the clear difference between us and sides like Preston is the finishing. The ability to take our chances will be the difference between challenging at the top end of the table or fighting against relegation. Hopefully our strikers will start converting more opportunities, starting with Inverness next Saturday.

Sounds like our strikers need to sharpen up. Given the level they were playing at last season it's not surprising the new signings are finding less time and space to operate than they are used to. Hopefully Skippy can add a little extra nous up front to help them out.

Sounds like we created plenty of chances against a side that is probably mid table SPFL standard so a few positives.

When you consider Aberdeen finished comfortably 2nd in our division with a team largely made up of league 1 and championship rejects I think Preston are better than mid spfl premier. Inverness have a team virtually made up with conference players ffs

No trialist tonight. Well the better team, but PNE were clinical for their goals, where we weren't converting our chances. First half Marv, created 2 good chances for himself and their keeper made a couple of decent stops. Their first was down to an error from McManus and the 2nd was down to our midfield not tracking back.

2nd half we were much better, and were the better team by far. All the subs made an impact, especially Ainsworth who had a cracking shot from 25 yards palmed over by their keeper.

Not sure about Chalmers as he was played out at left midfield and he looked lost for long periods. Moult was terrific when he came on, looks as if he has a touch on him and linked up with Ainsworth well. He took his goal really well, timed his run to outstrip their defence and waited and waited until he slipped it past their goalie.

Thought the team that finished the 90, linked better than the starting 11.

Be interesting to see who gets the front man's role next week up by. Fletcher looks kinda leggy for me and doesn't appear to have the pace of Moult.

• Like 3

Not long back. PNE were far better than a mid table SPFL team as suggested by some. Big and physical and quick to move the ball forward. A really good test. Team played well particularly second half, when we played some really nice one touch football, just the final ball was lacking, but promising nonetheless. If Marv and Lionel can carry their form from this game into the season we'll be a thrilling team moving forward. Both Fletcher and Moult offered plenty, but neither were guilty of missing clear cut chances - despite what the twitter feed might have indicated. The chances first half fell predominantly to Johnson, with their keeper carrying off a couple of decent saves.

Second half a long range Ainsworth effort and a close range McDonald effort were our best chances (both excellently fielded by the PNE keeper, McDonald's turned onto the post) prior to Moult's excellent finish near the end.

Came away very heartened by the performance, particularly as there seem to be plenty of options throughout the squad to change formations and tactics without disrupting the rhythm of the team.

Thought Pearo had a triffic last 10 minutes when he took over centre midfield duties from Keith. Young Watt came on as a sub and slotted quite seamlessly into the back four and looked assured, composed and for a fairly short fella good in the air. He can also pick a pass when the need arises, witnessed by several arrow straight deliveries to both Lionel and Marv. Mention to for Jack Leitch who was ever eager to get on the ball and looks to have benefited from the change in fitness regime (looks to have added a yard in pace).

All in all quite encouraged by what I saw.

• Like 6

PNE a middling SPFL team. WTF. They pissed all over the league one play offs.

That team would run Celtic close for the title.

No doubt they took the foot of the gas 2nd half. That said we did create many good chances and their goalie was MOM.

Marvellous Marvin looked in the mood. Most players had a decent game. Skippy did not. Probably still not match fit.

Liked the look of Watt. also Ted took his goal well.

• Like 1

Just back from the game. We were very impressive and dominated for large spells. Johnson, Ainsworth and Fletcher all stood out but overall most played well. One thing that did stand out was law and his lack of a final ball, also we failed to win many aerial battles either attacking or defending corners. On the whole it was a good game and looking forward to what the season holds

'Hammell the man'.You are having a laugh, right? A major contributor in the loss of both goals. The usual inept passing and poor positional play. His crossing is like that of a school kid who hits it in the middle hoping for the best with no awareness of where his teammates are. The sooner we get a decent left back the better.

• Like 1

Enjoyed tonight, new found vigour in our team. Curious as to why Fletch has been favoured to Ted, he seems to be the sharper of the two on what I've seen. For me I would play Watt ahead of Law at right back, the young boy looks to have a big future ahead. I liked McDonald's like up play and the variety that DC offered in place of Lasley.

There is hope and with KK back next week we have the beating of Inverness for sure

• Like 1

Came home from the game quietly optimistic for the new season. Some really positive stuff tonight with some decent football played and chances made.

Agree with Suprawell, Watt to me looks a right player, solid with a cracking distribution. Jack Leitch also played really well when he came on, always looking to get on the ball and play a pass, great ball thru for Moult to finish well, maybe he can change Barracloughs mind about needing another midfielder.

Fletcher looks a good hold up striker potentially more suited to the lone striker role, however Moult just seems to have a little something extra, movement and touch just seems a step a head, I really think him and Skippy could become a potent partnership.

Marvin looks sharp and so did Lionel in his cameo. Infact the full team look fit and for a friendly it was played at a decent tempo. That is a decent Preston side with some good players like Garner, Kilkenny & Beckford, no mugs at all but we were the better side.

However some disappointing aspects, McDonald seemed really really deep, sometimes the deepest of the 3 midfielders, more in a holding role. Dan looked shaky and our standard frailty of a ball in the box was still evident, he doesnt look confident at all coming for the ball and had no presence. I thought both Law & Hammell played well, pushing high up the pitch and overlapping the wide players but final ball let them both down.

Overall tho a lot more positives than negatives and I think this will be an enjoyable season of football to watch.

• Like 1