2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

David

When you consider Aberdeen finished comfortably 2nd in our division with a team largely made up of league 1 and championship rejects I think Preston are better than mid spfl premier. Inverness have a team virtually made up with conference players ffs

I saw 4/5 Preston and Aberdeen games last season and imo Aberdeen are better than them.They have a couple of decent forwards but the rest of their team isn't much better than ours.

'Hammell the man'.You are having a laugh, right? A major contributor in the loss of both goals. The usual inept passing and poor positional play.

A bit harsh but yes he did not close his man down for the cross at the first goal. Thats always been a weak part of his game - he's better on the ball than off it. Second goal, our central midfield allowed the scorer far too much room. We played some decent football although we must be more clinical.

Not sure about Chalmers playing wide left - doesn't have the pace for that but I guess he'll slot in there for our first 2 league games.

A good workout though which highlighted our weaknesses in defence and central midfield. Hopefully Ian Baraclough will put that knowledge to good use.

'Hammell the man'.You are having a laugh, right? A major contributor in the loss of both goals. The usual inept passing and poor positional play. His crossing is like that of a school kid who hits it in the middle hoping for the best with no awareness of where his teammates are. The sooner we get a decent left back the better.

Never read so much crap in one paragraph as I just have here, at this steelmenonline! Let's just take the second goal which was the cumulative effort of awful midfield cover and sublime finishing.

Hammell also has one of, if not the best first touches you'll see at this level. Excellent player, who no doubt we missed for the most part last season.

PNE's left back would have had nightmares last night after what Marvin Johnson did to him countless times. Marvin's turn and go will frighten any SPFL full back this season.

Thought Leitch played well when he came on, Looking for the ball and linking the gap between midfield and striker.

Never read so much crap in one paragraph as I just have here, at this steelmenonline! Let's just take the second goal which was the cumulative effort of awful midfield cover and sublime finishing.

Hammell also has one of, if not the best first touches you'll see at this level. Excellent player, who no doubt we missed for the most part last season.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water - the Traveller is entitled to his/her opinion. Yes, he is very accomplished on the ball and has a great first touch. However for me, its when he's off the ball that his defensive frailties show - too often he gets caught out of position allowing an opponent those vital few seconds and yards to whip over a cross, putting our central defence and goalie under pressure.

All that said if he was a better player he wouldn't be with us.

Really enjoyed last night. Thought everyone played their part and Johnson and Ainsworth in particular were excellent. We played some really good stuff going forward and there is lots to be postivie about and look forward. The first goal in particular was avoidable and we definitely need to improve the final ball and finishing. If was a "real" game I'd have been going off my heid!

A small issue aside, if for the games that Ainsworth is suspended Baraclough is going to play Johnson on the right, I'd hope we'd play Dom Thomas on the left. Chalmers was steady enough, in fact he did very little wrong, but he doesn't look like a left midfielder.

Encouraging performance last night on the whole. I thought Chalmers looked a bit of a fish out of water in midfield but not absolutely awful. Some decents touches and involvement but just wasn't natural to him, he certainly is no winger but looked like a potentially solid player who could be an able deputy at left back if Hammell misses any games and a possible replacement in the future.