2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

David

I seriously doubt foot golf was our downfall last season. We had the same training regime the season before and won 2nd place in the last minute of the last game.

The malaise was much deeper than that, and I guarantee there will be similar games played during this pre-season - you can't just run hard for 6hrs a day.

Jock Wallace had our guys vomiting after running up and down the dunes at Gullane, and that team was mince.

• Like 1

Why do people get so worked up about footgolf? Just because there was a video of it on the website doesnt mean that's all they did when they were over there. Footgolf is more interesting to watch than yer standard training.

Think you need to be a special case of dense to believe playing footgolf means you'll have a shite season. Fucking hell man :lol:

• Like 1

I seriously doubt foot golf was our downfall last season. We had the same training regime the season before and won 2nd place in the last minute of the last game.

The malaise was much deeper than that, and I guarantee there will be similar games played during this pre-season - you can't just run hard for 6hrs a day.

Jock Wallace had our guys vomiting after running up and down the dunes at Gullane, and that team was mince.

Completely taking what I said out of context. I didn't blame foot golf on our season being shite.

My point is it's good to see them working hard, last year we didn't see it at all over the summer and was evident when Europe & the season started. If you look at the pictures a lot of the work appears to be with a ball.

What is it with this site these days as soon as you say something smart arses have to try and bring it down and try and pick faults. Feck me it's getting piss poor.

• Like 1

Why do people get so worked up about footgolf? Just because there was a video of it on the website doesnt mean that's all they did when they were over there. Footgolf is more interesting to watch than yer standard training.

Think you need to be a special case of dense to believe playing footgolf means you'll have a shite season. Fucking hell man :lol:

People are getting worked up over the fact the players appeared to have a jolly last year and not put the graft in. Our severe lack of fitness was clear to see. That has become associated with foot golf. Is that ok for you???

I think the only dense or thick as fuck folk are those who believe we are blaming foot golf on a shite season.......

• Like 1

People are getting worked up over the fact the players appeared to have a jolly last year and not put the graft in. Our severe lack of fitness was clear to see. That has become associated with foot golf. Is that ok for you???

I think the only dense or thick as fuck folk are those who believe we are blaming foot golf on a shite season.......

See, I don't believe that. I can point to a thousand examples where teams that are playing poorly look unfit. However, that is usually down to a lack of confidence. Players dwell on the ball afraid to take risks. Players are afraid to commit to tackles. Players abdicate responsibility so if a team mate screws up they will take the pesters instead. Players lacking in confidence also tend to hide, and that reduces the options. Plus some players are carrying knocks but forced to play.

Teams that stink always look a yard slower, but that is almost always psychological.

I also think that there was an inevitable lull after the prior season's league success. Great teams struggle to be consistently good and have to continuously refresh personnel even when they succeed. As counterintuitive as it sounds, I think our ability to quickly retain pretty much the same squad as the prior season was actually detrimental. A few fresh faces in key positions might have kept some of the old guard on their toes.

• Like 3

See, I don't believe that. I can point to a thousand examples where teams that are playing poorly look unfit. However, that is usually down to a lack of confidence. Players dwell on the ball afraid to take risks. Players are afraid to commit to tackles. Players abdicate responsibility so if a team mate screws up they will take the pesters instead. Players lacking in confidence also tend to hide, and that reduces the options. Plus some players are carrying knocks but forced to play.

Teams that stink always look a yard slower, but that is almost always psychological.

I also think that there was an inevitable lull after the prior season's league success. Great teams struggle to be consistently good and have to continuously refresh personnel even when they succeed. As counterintuitive as it sounds, I think our ability to quickly retain pretty much the same squad as the prior season was actually detrimental. A few fresh faces in key positions might have kept some of the old guard on their toes.

In seven out of the first eleven games of last season we conceded goals in the last 15 minutes of the match.

You can choose to interpret that however you like but rightly or wrongly I suspect most will draw the conclusion that the team at that stage of the campaign at least simply weren't as fit as they might have been.

• Like 3

Well everyone who moaned about footgolf have been given the video they wanted. A very homoerotic montage of all the players weightlifting :lol:

Now the complaint will be "too many weights and not enough speed work" the first time McManus gets turned by a striker.