2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

David

Twardzik's first half performance made him my man of the match. A lot more solid in the second half with Lasley and McManus on.

Huge thanks to McManus as his gift of his training top made one young 'Well fan so happy he jumped into a canal!!!

• Like 2

Twardzik definitely solidifying the backup goalie position

Hopefully the Dutch are so impressed they'll put a bid in for Dan

Maybe the new coach has upped Dan's game already.

Tad unfair comments all round. A few on here got their knickers in a twist as his arrival as an emergency loan coincided with a run of good results. Some seen him as the shining answer to our Hollis/Nielsen issues. At the time I thought it was more down to the fact the whole team were performing and team-wide confidence increased, Dan also benefitted from a change in fortune and form while putting in some solid performances. Don't think his game was particularly bad to actually need upping.

When it comes to keepers, I must admit I'm a tad sizeist, we had two +6'2" guys in Randolph and Ruddy who were built like brick shithouses which helped inspire a degree of confidence in me and no doubt in the four guys directly in front of them. That resulted in some of the best and consistent performances in our league form.

I don't think anyone can deny Dan has very good shot stopping skills, he's agile and fast, the issue is he doesn't command his box that someone with a little more physical stature would. Can't ignore his age and decision making, however he's made less gaff's per game than Long did and he came with a better pedigree.

Issue I think we as a support and the management have to ask is, do we take a punt on him as the primary keeper for the season ahead or go for an alternative? Can we afford to take a punt? Sadly for him, I suspect he will be facing a lot of bench warming time unless there's an injury or we get a flop.

Tad unfair comments all round. A few on here got their knickers in a twist as his arrival as an emergency loan coincided with a run of good results. Some seen him as the shining answer to our Hollis/Nielsen issues. At the time I thought it was more down to the fact the whole team were performing and team-wide confidence increased, Dan also benefitted from a change in fortune and form while putting in some solid performances. Don't think his game was particularly bad to actually need upping.

When it comes to keepers, I must admit I'm a tad sizeist, we had two +6'2" guys in Randolph and Ruddy who were built like brick shithouses which helped inspire a degree of confidence in me and no doubt in the four guys directly in front of them. That resulted in some of the best and consistent performances in our league form.

I don't think anyone can deny Dan has very good shot stopping skills, he's agile and fast, the issue is he doesn't command his box that someone with a little more physical stature would. Can't ignore his age and decision making, however he's made less gaff's per game than Long did and he came with a better pedigree.

Issue I think we as a support and the management have to ask is, do we take a punt on him as the primary keeper for the season ahead or go for an alternative? Can we afford to take a punt? Sadly for him, I suspect he will be facing a lot of bench warming time unless there's an injury or we get a flop.

Agreed.

Dan was an easy and affordable signing. We've had great keepers I'm recent times and I'm sure Barraclough has a few tricks left.

Issue I think we as a support and the management have to ask is, do we take a punt on him as the primary keeper for the season ahead or go for an alternative? Can we afford to take a punt?

I suspect we'll be looking for another first choice goalie. If Dan is to be our No 1 then before a single ball is kicked in anger our midfield and defence have to modify their game to protect him. Thats putting extra pressure on other players to compensate for inherent weaknesses in his game. They can well do without that. Midfielders and full/wing backs have to cut out crosses and minimise corners and free kicks. Central defenders have to play that bit deeper to cut out any aerial balls.

In his post match interview today, Baraclough said Twardzik, like all the players in the squad, can play themselves into contention of they show a bit of form.

He also confirmed we are in the hunt for another "senior keeper", but I think we all knew that.