League Cup 2015/16

Toxteth O'Grady

In some of our worst performances last season he was the one player that was getting pass marks, and didn't feel he did a great deal wrong last night.

He was far from our worst player last night!

Luke Watt did look ok, but he played 10 minutes against a part time team who had played 110 minutes, I'd have looked like Dani Alves if I'd come on when he did.

I don't disagree on last season at all, but he just hasn't shown up this season at all, for whatever reason.

All players go through dodgy spells and keeping selecting him isn't doing him any favours, I don't think. I'd be surprised if Watt wasn't given a chance. I wouldn't write him off as I think he can provide something for us, but right now, he needs to be taken out the firing line.

There is no defence of Law. Every team we play targets his wing, that speaks volumes for me.

Cause it's only one player. It was the same when Hammell had Foran playing left mid for us. Hammell was constantly targeted cause it's an easy overlap with man in front of full back does not cover

Cause it's only one player. It was the same when Hammell had Foran playing left mid for us. Hammell was constantly targeted cause it's an easy overlap with man in front of full back does not cover

So, by inference,Law is suffering from a lack of cover from his winger- both Johnson and Ainsworth in turns last night. Hardly a surprise to question wide men's defensive work ethic though. As I have already said , the two of them shouldn't start together. We need to build from a solid base, Johnson in particular seems to be a rather fragile big lad, cannot see 38 starts from him, not a chance. Needs used selectively, hopefully with a devastating run of form as the season ends and a queue of suitors waiting to fill our coffers . On his day he's electric and in bursts almost unplayable, sadly his day isn't nearly regular enough for our needs right now

As for Law, I actually thought he grew into the fullback role last season, much like Tom Hately did ( when he accepted his berth was in at right back rather than the Del Piero midfield libero) Gone astray so far sadly.

There's no denying that both full backs are exposed in the current setup but every scout must be going away from our games with Law as the number 1 of weak spots. He actually needs pulled out the firing line as he's getting worse each week.

There's no denying that both full backs are exposed in the current setup but every scout must be going away from our games with Law as the number 1 of weak spots. He actually needs pulled out the firing line as he's getting worse each week.

As I pointed out the other day, for St Johnstone's 2nd goal he was stood in line with the penalty spot, marking no one, contributing nothing defensively whilst the rest of the back 4 were on the 6 yard line and Laing was having to cover 2 players. That's just basic positional play.

Like others I thought Law grew into the RB role towards the end of last season but at the moment he's an unmitigated liability. Yes there are clearly other factors that don't help but I'd argue much of what's wrong with Law's game at the moment is positional awareness. Having a RB in there who is a natural defender might not fix all our problems but it might at least mark a start.

Haven't posted for a while but read these boards every week. As far as the East Fife game goes, I expected nothing other than a tough time of it fro this game. A lot of 'Well fans out there of a (cough) slightly older vintage will remember that East Fife have always proved a tough nut for us to crack - when we ran away with the Old second division in 1968/69 season we gubbed them at FP but got humped att Bayview!!! And if you look at our overall record against them, we only just nose them.

A disappointing start to the season in the league sure, but I never thought we take anything from Aberdeen or Hearts and thought we might draw wit Dundee Utd and St Johnstone. Expected to get 5 points from first 5 games as it was a tough start so only 2 points down on that. Admittedly need to beat Killlie on Saturday but that should not be beyond us.

As for some of the criticism being aimed at some of the new signings!!!? Well it's f*cking ridiculous!! FFS give the boys a chance to bed themselves in. And as for calling for the managers head!! Well that's nonsense. Tommy McLean was no instant hit. So are we now going to become a club that fires its manager when things don't right straight away?

• Like 3

My writings have been called many things before including disgusting and obscene but "unhealthy" is a first. Laing had a poor game last night, there's no escaping that fact. Thats by no means all down to Josh Law. In my view Law is out of his depth in our league and he is a factor, but no more than that, in Laing's performances. In short his performances have given Laing an unwanted additional problem but Laing was quite capable of being poor in his own right last night.

Others have suggested that I've been unfairly critical of our central midfield but in my view right back and central midfield are and have been responsible for the majority, but not the entire cause of our defensive problems. If we're consistently losing so many goals and losing out in the middle of the park then something somewhere is causing the problem.

I'm not in the Bara out brigade but it worries me that he gave this Guy a two year deal.

I'm not in the Bara out brigade but it worries me that he gave this Guy a two year deal.

As has been said before towards the end of last season Law had shown tentative signs he might have been able to develop into a reasonably steady full-back.

I wouldn't lavish platitudes any greater than that on him other adding that he had shown some versatility across the season and to be fair his attitude was pretty decent in that he never hid or chucked it at any time, when others around him did.

I'm guessing that Baraclough might have thought he could hedge his bets a little between Law and Watt thinking he may be able to bring on Law, and with apparent interest from English League Two teams before he re-signed, that he may even be able to command a modest transfer fee for him. Hence your two year deal.

At the same time however having Law contracted for two years gives him the opportunity to gradually bring on Luke Watt knowing if he does develop as hoped, then he still has Law kicking about he can bring in when he wants to give Watt a breather or if he's needed as cover.

Maybe.

• Like 1

At the same time however having Law contracted for two years gives him the opportunity to gradually bring on Luke Watt knowing if he does develop as hoped, then he still has Law kicking about he can bring in when he wants to give Watt a breather or if he's needed as cover.

Maybe.

I think this is something we'll find out when Watt is fully fit and we see who gets the nod. As I've said before I don't really have an issue with Law being around the squad if he's there simply as cover but if he's genuinely considered our first choice right back in his current form then we have a problem.

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/league-cup-third-round-draw-today/

The draw for the third round of the Scottish League Cup takes place at Hampden Park at 2.30pm this afternoon.

It will be conducted by SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster, along with Pat Bonner – who won the trophy with Celtic – and Sportscene host Jonathan Sutherland from BBC Scotland, the competition’s broadcast rights holders.

Third-round ties are scheduled for the midweek of September 22/23.

Seeded clubs and numbers
1 Celtic
2 Aberdeen
3 Inverness Caley Thistle
4 St Johnstone
5 Dundee United
6 Ross County
7 Kilmarnock
8 Motherwell

Unseeded clubs and numbers
9 Heart of Midlothian
10 Hibernian
11 Rangers
12 Falkirk
13 Raith Rovers
14 Livingston
15 Morton
16 Dunfermline Athletic

Read more at http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/league-cup-third-round-draw-today/#h63uP4tdrsCdmPm9.99

He didn't get a standing ovation from me. That's utterly cringeworthy and embarrassing.

granted it doesnt happen very often, but the other night the guy deserved it - for a player who is playing 3 leagues below us and has only just came into the professional game - he ran our defenders ragged. He looked quick, strong and had a few wee tricks as well as scoring the goal.

i would never do it on a league game - but he definitely deserved the ovation he got