Motherwell V Dundee Utd Sat 8 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Josh Law had a curates egg of a game. Errors, lovely touches, great crosses, woeful crosses. He was playing with Marv on front of him. For me it's unfair to judge a right back looking to overlap when he had a left winger in front of him. Ainsworth back will be a more natural pairing, likewise Hammell and Marv on the left- better balance all round. We sorely missed Pearo's steals and driving runs today. I would rather have seen Skippy linking in the final third with Fletcher, he was too deep to be effective.

• Like 1

laing was the best player on the park by a country mile, i thought he looked solid.

the big keeper also looked fantastic.

marvin looked to be blowing out his arse by 55mins.

lasley worked his socks off and put some great tackles in.

the only downside that i saw from today was josh law, anybody that says he played well should have a look at themselves.

BUT that ref had a total mare, i thought until leitch picked up the first booking that he had forgotten his cards as utd should have had about 3 booked by half time.

Overall in not too downhearted about today as we played some nice stuff and didnt deserve to lose but there is room for improvement which i hope will come soon.

Never happy with a loss, but at least we were in the game for ninety minutes and it sounds like there were a few decent performances.

No doubt there will be a few more of these types of results this season as we continue the rebuilding process. Let's hope we don't make a habit of it though, as confidence can be a fragile thing, and much easier to break than mend.

Wrong! their second goal was fine. player was in his own half when the guy passed the ball

Definitely onside for me, a real pisser to lose a second goal, fair play to Ripley for actually getting back behind the ball, the lad fairly shifted,

Gutted for big Clubber, played a blinder and the o.g. had shades of Crags in his hey day. He's getting better by the game, I think he's got it in him to be a better Centre Back than big Hutch.

Bitter to lose two goals to a piss poor Slumdee United side. McDonald was quite quiet today and it showed that Chalmers is really a stop gap until Lionel is back. Keeper was solid and Laing is playing his best football at the club, MOTM today.

As for the old clown and his drum, the woman is his sister and his shite drumming is a major irritation to me and most who are near him in the East Stand.

I am not there to listen to some old codger trying to make a spectacle on himself, I want to ram his stick where the sun doesn't shine.

I'm old skool and prefer singing and shouting to the constant banging of drums, glad the children left theirs in the house.

Need to get 3 points at Swinecastle on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Josh Law had a curates egg of a game. Errors, lovely touches, great crosses, woeful crosses. He was playing with Marv on front of him. For me it's unfair to judge a right back looking to overlap when he had a left winger in front of him. .... We sorely missed Pearo's steals and driving runs today. I would rather have seen Skippy linking in the final third with Fletcher, he was too deep to be effective.

Problem is that Law played like that at the end of last season too with Ainsworth in front of him. All too often he was caught out of position. Yes, we missed Pearo's presence and energy in the middle and he was a huge loss today. He is awaiting his scan results but was walking about ok today. We simply have no one else capable of playing that role in the middle and Skippy would be better off playing further upfield.

On a side note, Ripley was fortunate not to get a second yellow when he pulled the shirt of the United player on the lead up to their second goal.

Agree. It was a second yellow all the way. The referee was poor for both teams today and made the game very bitty by constantly blowing his whistle.

McDonald, by his own admission is off the pace fitness wise due to not having a pre-season. He did a good job playing deeper against Rangers so to say he can't play that position on one performance is a bit daft. He's played more games in midfield than up front in recent years, arguably at a higher level than the Scottish Premiership. Having said that I'd rather have him further forward but with Pearson out, he was the natural choice. Unfortunately his lack of sharpness showed today and he didn't exactly get much support from Lasley or Leitch who aren't forward going players. I'm sure with Pearson playing he would have found more spaces and got forward more but it was constantly down to him to drop deep and carry the ball forward.

Unfortunately, outside Fletcher, none of our other three forward players were really effective and when that happens it's going to be tough to score a goal outside of a set piece.

Unfortunately, outside Fletcher, none of our other three forward players were really effective and when that happens it's going to be tough to score a goal outside of a set piece.

Problem was that they received very poor quality service. Again that must have been a concern pre match. In Fletcher's case he was given a tad too many high balls which he was never going to win. Johnson did not receive the kind of passes he likes and it must have been frustrating to receive the ball a yard behind him, when his game is to run onto it.

On the plus side, the team can and will play better.

Bitter to lose two goals to a piss poor Slumdee United side. McDonald was quite quiet today and it showed that Chalmers is really a stop gap until Lionel is back. Keeper was solid and Laing is playing his best football at the club, MOTM today.

As for the old clown and his drum, the woman is his sister and his shite drumming is a major irritation to me and most who are near him in the East Stand.

I am not there to listen to some old codger trying to make a spectacle on himself, I want to ram his stick where the sun doesn't shine.

I'm old skool and prefer singing and shouting to the constant banging of drums, glad the children left theirs in the house.

Need to get 3 points at Swinecastle on Wednesday.

Slumdee utd?

Swinecastle?

Old skool right enough.

• Like 1

I think a draw was on the cards and would have been a fair outcome.

Riley made a couple of very good saves and United came onto a game after we failed to turn our early dominance into anything concrete.

Laing for the most part had a very good game, but his one mistake cost us the game.

We are much weaker without Pearson and Leitch has the look of Cars well. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but I suspect our search for a midfielder backs this up.

We got to the final 3rd so many times today and the final ball or cross was just poor. Even when Don came on. It gave us a new impetus, but at least 2-3 times having beaten his man the ball trundled into the box or straight to a United defender. Sadly I did think what Erwin would have done with some of those chances and space just outside the box.....

Disappointed but probably would have been happy with 2 draws to start the season. We have one more point.

2 tough games coming up. If we can win one or not lose both it will show we have come a long way.

2 tough games coming up. If we can win one or not lose both it will show we have come a long way.

Yes, 2 very tough games coming up and if we can escape with a couple of narrow losses I'll be happy, if not exactly delirious. Definitely better than last season but I'm far from convinced our defensive and central midfield frailties have been fully addressed and I expect our goals against tally to be high again this season. We did not deserve to lose by 2 goals yesterday but thats how we were losing last season. On the plus side I think Ripley will be a good signing, if only on loan and Laing looks to have upped his game.

I hope we can turn yesterday's loss into a useful lesson which will help us in the few weeks ahead and longer term in the campaign ahead.

Interesting how we all see things differently! I thought McDonald had a good first half, but very poor in the second half. Laing had a good game? Maybe in the first half, in the second half I counted three major mistakes, stopped the ball going out for a corner and instead put it back in the 6 yard box, then one came off his thigh and fortunately landed on McManus' head (again in the 6 yard box) then he scored the OG! I think he will turn out to be a good signing for us but not his best game yesterday in my opinion. Thought Las was outstanding again and our best player by some way. Was impressed by Ripley and Fletcher. Deserved at least a draw but having 3 strikers and 2 wingers on the pitch at the end was always going to make it likely that one of the teams would go on and win it. Thought Leitch had a poor game, however when Clarky came on for him I thought we lost all shape with Las being the only midfielder on the pitch for us! Ah well onwards to Wednesday, wonder if Chalmers could play a holding midfielder role with Ainsworth coming in for Leitch.

From midfield forward we were good at times without finding the net but defensively both teams were all over the place especially in the second half.If we defend like that every game then we'll lose more than we win because we won't create as many chances against more solid back fours.It made for a decent game though and there were contenders for save of the season and miss of the season.

I agree ripley had a couple of great saves especially the one in 1st half,didn't think Chalmers miss was so bad he got in there ,keeper was right on him and he just had to hit it.....he got on the end of it,thought he looked quite good

Thought Big Ripley was outstanding, hopefully we've solved our keeper problem! Laing was much improved, looked quicker and stronger than last season. Thought Keith had an excellent game as well. Mcdonald/Hammell both looked off the pace to me! Law is never a right back. I didnt think Jack Leitch played too badly though ive never rated him in the past. Hopefully some more midfield additions this week and I cant wait to have Watt/Ainsworth in the starting 11.

Both the goals were avoidable.

The og whilst unfortunate, Laing didn't need to try and put his laces through the clearance, just focus on cutting it out or blocking it. Law should also put more pressure on the crosser in the first instance. It pisses me off the way attackers are time and time again pretty much allowed to pick their pass.

Leitch for the second one should've went out to meet the guy who eventually put the ball in the net. He neither closed him down nor stayed on the line.