St Johnstone V Motherwell Sat 22 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Cliché's post match prognostication on MFC TV.

I'm very tired of his calm reasoned chuntering, bland observations and bemoaning of the same errors every week, like a stuck record.

The trip to Methil is giving me the fear too.

The light at the end of the tunnel? -Gary Locke sitting on the front of the oncoming Saturday train...

Through thick and thin, you're not kidding

Just watched the highlights.

Josh Law getting squared up far too easily for the first goal.

McManus losing his man at the first goal.

Everyone not closing down or stopping the crosses as usual.

In saying all of that we made more than enough chances to be taking something from that game.

Motherwell fans talk a good game but for a lot of them it's all bollocks. "We need two or three new signings" kind of goes against the ethos that the kids will get their chance. Any player we bring in now will just get in the way of a young player's development.

Perhaps those calling for new signings want Dom Thomas, Luke Watt, Ross McLean and Chris Cadden still playing 10-15 minute cameos when they're 21?

I despair...

• Like 2

Motherwell fans talk a good game but for a lot of them it's all bollocks. "We need two or three new signings" kind of goes against the ethos that the kids will get their chance. Any player we bring in now will just get in the way of a young player's development.

Perhaps those calling for new signings want Dom Thomas, Luke Watt, Ross McLean and Chris Cadden still playing 10-15 minute cameos when they're 21?

I despair...

We potentially need 2 signings. 1st priority being a midfielder that can get a grip of the game. At the moment there is nobody at the club capable of filling that role.

Secondly we need a right back. Hopefully that is Luke Watt but Baraclough needs to make a decision there. I was surprised Watt didn't make the bench today after impressing as a sub on Tues.

if barraclough has the high hopes for watt that he say's he does then he has to get him in the team and see what he can do as his development shouldn't be held back anymore by someone like josh law who's been pish so far this season.there's player's in the team that are failing us yet just as they did last season,hopefully the youngester's start to get some game time soon but iv'e got real doubts whether that will happen under barraclough i think he just said he was going to play younger players as a reason for getting the job in the first place.

we need 2 signings as a must. An experienced right back + a defensive midfielder. I want Luke Watt in at RB asap but its a bit much depending on him alone the entire season. Law is utter shite and should never be wearing a Well jersey,Reid can fuck off too. In mid, Las is 400 years old ,loses pace with each week that passes and is a liability as a tackler so he cant do the defensive job and theres no-one else, we need dig. That boy from Reading can fuck off too and get Leitch + Cadden the game time he is stealing

• Like 1

We can't keep losing games we are the better team in. For an hour today we were the dominant force in that game and really should have had more than one goal for our trouble. But despite that they got in a couple of times in the first half and Ripley had to be sharp.

As you would expect Saints upped it a bit after the break but despite more of the game being around our box I thought we looked OK. Until they scored.

Then came the killer moment - our subby of Leitch for Ainsworth. We took off our out ball and basically told them every time Ripley tried to play out it was going to Johnson. Baraclough claimed it was because we were losing the midfield - no shit sherlock, when we play 3v2 we nearly always do but if you have strength in the wing it compensates. Losing the wing impetus killed us stone dead and they cruised through us with ease. Sorry but in any book, that is manager error and at game 5 it is already the second one we have lost because of his changes.

I quite like Baraclough but keep costing us games by not knowing when to stick and when to twist and we'll get relegated. Losing to Hearts and Aberdeen is annoying but understandable but losing to a bang average St Johnstone and Dundee Utd is stupid. Once was a risk worth taking, twice was daft,

Then onto Jake Taylor. Hope to be proven wrong about the dive, but that must be the most unprofessional, stupid red card I have ever seen in my life. He deserves a distinctly reduced pay package this week.

We're not a bad team but we are so so naive it is pathetic. Oh and if Chalmers and Law want to learn to tackle that would be lovely.

• Like 1

we need 2 signings as a must. An experienced right back + a defensive midfielder.

Absolutely. We displayed all our old failings again today. We started off well and deservedly took the lead but by the half hour mark Saints began to dominate midfield and they continued to do that for the remainder of the match. In the second half our midfield simply disappeared and we could not compete with a fired up and aggressive St Johnstone engine room. Taylor was largely anonymous and Lasley simply disappeared in the second half as we defended deeper and deeper. We are missing Pearo badly but need a replacement for Lasley very badly like now. Both full backs were very poor and Hammell struggled badly against O'Halloran. I thought Chalmers played him marginally better. In short we gave Saints far too much room.

MacDonald was again played too deep leaving the industrious but ultimately sterile Moult too isolated. The substitutions, apart from Hammell's enforced departure were downright baffling. Leitch added nothing to a totally ineffective midfield and its doubtful if Thomas touched the ball more than twice after coming on. We did look not too bad in sporadic breaks but flattered to deceive with no end product or killer touch in the box. For me though the 2 most worrying aspects were an anonymous central midfield which showed little fight and the amount of time and space we afforded Saints.

A word on Taylor - he was anonymous but was harshly treated by inconsistent Craig Thomson. His first card was absurd as the ball was not stationary for the free kick. You see this kind of incident week in and week out with no action being taken and indeed today I counted a further 2 such incidents which went unpunished. His second card was downright poor refereeing. Yes he went down easily but the defender definitely caught him and not accidentally either.

A bad day at the office and Ian Baraclough must be running out of excuses. This dismal run cannot be allowed to continue much longer.

It's called making an informed choice not to do something. For the record I go, apart from today, home and away each week and am a season ticket holder and shareholder for that matter. Your comments are pish

Aye right two wins and you will be back,first in the queue to get in . Talk about an over reaction ,gie us pish. I mean peace iv heard the pish already

We need to get a grip all round here. Highlights show we had numerous chances / we can't stop runs / we don't pick up forwards driving in at the near post.

Fortunately there's other shite teams in the division. Young guys will have their day, but we just need to get solid and grind a result out

we just need to get solid and grind a result out

The problem is though that the current team is not solid and hasn't been so for a year or two. Thats simply not going to improve overnight. Likewise the team isn't capable of grinding a result out. When under pressure we simply crumble. The root cause of many of our problems is an ineffective central midfield that just isn't competing and disappears under pressure and 2 defensively suspect full backs. IB has had opportunities to fix those problems but hasn't. That said, we are missing Pearson but I don't expect to see him return any time soon.

Totally baffled by Ian Baraclough's comment that "We were totally in control in the first half" - we weren't. They had 5 shots on target we had 2.

Still can't believe watching that yesterday.

First half an hour or so, we looked relatively comfortable without ever dominating. Johnson had a one on one with the the keeper only to hit it straight at him, whilst on another Occassion, Law found himself free in the box and tried to cut it back for what would have been a tap in, only to play it straight to a St Johnstone Jersey.

Then, the demise started. the natural emergence of st's into the game saw us completely loose our shape entirely. As st's slowly worked Into the match, we panicked. We set up with two wingers yet after 30 minutes, we resorted to playing it back to ripely who launched it up the park to moult who had no one within 20 yards of him - missing out our midfield.

For the rest of the game, we had no game plan. No sense of tactics. We were content to play it high to the St Johnston back line for them to have another go at us - utterly baffling.

Added to the fact that we had no sense of a system (play with two wingers yet don't use them) we had far too many passengers on the park and quite frankly no one who would get pass marks over the piece, out with Ripley who made a couple of decent stops.

Where to begin...

1- Law - an absolute fucking imposter. No positional sense whatsoever, got done for the first goal yesterday. Quite honestly should never Be seen in a Motherwell jersey again. I cannot for the life of me make sense of having Kenndey who is a right back in the bench and playing Law. Shite is not a sufficient term to describe him. There is not a single ounce of quality about him. Passing is poor, can't tackle for a desire to backtrack, awful positioning, crossing is generally poor. Brutal.

2 - Laing and McManus - as a pair, quite simply, they don't boss the game enough. Too many individual errors or slips which put you on the back foot.

3 - Hammel - injured or otherwise, he got absolutely roasted in the first half yesterday by O'Hallaran (who for a lack of composure could have punished us). Really poor. Unwilling to let the guy know he was at least there.

Charmers matched O'Hallaran much better physically when he came on. Might not be the best technical full-back we have seen but head and shoulders above the quality of Law on the other side.

4 - Taylor - firstly, slightly unfortunate to get sent off however both bookings were rather stupid on his part. Away, from that... He is a passenger. Doesn't compete or contribute anything. Passing isn't great, can't tackle, isn't physically imposing. Waste of a jersey.

5 - Lasley - guilty of trying to do too much. Runs around trying to fix other people's mistakes but someone really needs to have a word. Age means he isn't the quickest and needs to adapt. No doubt in my mind that he is head and shoulders the best midfielder we have a available however we need to utilise him more wisely (which is the managers job).

6 - Jonson - don't actually remember him ever beating his man or passing to a Motherwell player. Unable to header a ball - which makes the decision to play him up front and hammer high balls to him more baffling.

7 - Ainsworth - largely anonymous. Again, has moments where he looks dangerous however fades too much. Was probably the wrong man to take off yesterday however he wasn't contributing and doesn't to dig in when required. Should have changed the full back behind him and allowed him to worry more about attacking.

8 - McDonald - let down by a shite system from Baraclough and seeing too many others not pulling weight, trying to do the job of 3 and up not really doing much. You can see the quality he has when further up he park, sense of awareness is far higher than anyone else. Use he guy properly Ffs. Can understand his strop when taken off. Crazy decision. Play him up top or at lest off the front man - not 20 yards behind.

9 - Moult - the guy tries hard however he isn't going to cut it. Isn't a bad player however he doesn't have the quality to be a guy when can rely on. For a bigger guy, he doesn't win much in the air, can't beat a man and has no pace. Give him his due for the effort but he isn't someone we can rely on as a lone striker or stick on starter for that matter.

Subs - by the time the end of the match came, we had the air of a school boys team. So many 'wee' players (literally) who ran around but didn't actually do anything. I'm sorry to offend the happy clappers on here, but Leitch isn't going to make it. Has no imposition on the game whatsoever. Thomas is too lightweight for professional football at the minute. Too easily bullied.

We clearly need at least 2 players before the window closes. We have no strength in depth and a central midfielder and right back are a must.

Baraclough, in my opinion should now go. We look devoid of ideas after only 5 games. We have no discernible system or at least one which suits the players he selects and a mentality problem where the heads drop at the first sign of competition. He is also apparently unable to read a game during a make appropriate changes in personnel or shape or get any obvious sign of fire into the bellies of the squad. We look so flat.

Drastic changes are required. Baraclough, I'm afraid, time is up.

We clearly need at least 2 players before the window closes. We have no strength in depth and a central midfielder and right back are a must.

I agree that we need a new right back and defensive midfielder but for me we need a stronger starting 11 never mind strength in depth.