St Johnstone V Motherwell Sat 22 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

So what is the answer? Play the weans at Methil , and risk a morale humping defeat?

Not a chance, he will stick by his signings and hope they have the balls for the fight.

The margin between success and the sack will be defined in the next seven days.

We're lacking application and belief. But history shows we have a habit of cycling between runs of defeat followed by runs of results, ad nauseam...

In practical terms we are stuck with what we've got, the coffers simply wont allow endless additions .

Siege mentality required, and I'm not convinced it's there. Too much" we've been undone by odd errors "

They all need to stand up and be counted. It's as stark and simple as that .

Wasn't there yesterday but from eyewitness reports it sounds familiar. Baraclough presents himself as a modern manager but what we are getting is basically bog standard English lower league long ball when 20 or 30 minutes of tippy tappy stuff proves unfruitful. Maybe that is what inevitably happens when you fill a team with non league players and reserves from down south. Old habits...

One thing I was impressed with a few weeks ago was how well coached the Aberdeen players were. I think it's true what they say, the manager does his work during the week, not during the 90 minutes. Aberdeen players were constantly switching positions, making diagonal runs, not just singles, but in co-ordination with each other (ie, playing as a team) - The full back bombs forward, the left winger cuts inside and the attacking midfielder runs in behind the full back to provide an option and make it hard to defend. When do we ever see that sort of fluid play at Motherwell? Our play is more in line with "give to the nearest guy and hope he does something with it".

Players should have it drilled into them what their role is in this position, in that situation, in this area, and that is obviously not happening. Two things that even I can see that obviously aren't being addressed is distribution from the goalkeeper and throw ins. Both are garbage. If modern football is all about possession then why do we give the ball away every time from these positions.

You probably wouldn't be allowed to do it now but I'd fine the 11 players on the pitch every time the ball was kicked from hand by the goalkeeper. It was dinosaur football 3 decades ago but now when most teams play 1 up front it is absolutely ridiculous. The last time Celtic were at Fir Park they played the ball out from the back just about every time, that's what we should be doing and if McManus isn't good enough with the ball at his feet, put someone else there. Second thing is throw ins. Our team scatters and disappears every time we get a throw in. Usually it is only Lasley that makes himself available for it and usually by running out of his position. A throw in, especially in the opposition half, is a chance to gain possession in a dangerous position but our guys don't want the ball and that is a poor reflection on both them and the coaching.

• Like 1

You probably wouldn't be allowed to do it now but I'd fine the 11 players on the pitch every time the ball was kicked from hand by the goalkeeper. It was dinosaur football 3 decades ago but now when most teams play 1 up front it is absolutely ridiculous. The last time Celtic were at Fir Park they played the ball out from the back just about every time, that's what we should be doing and if McManus isn't good enough with the ball at his feet, put someone else there. Second thing is throw ins. Our team scatters and disappears every time we get a throw in. Usually it is only Lasley that makes himself available for it and usually by running out of his position. A throw in, especially in the opposition half, is a chance to gain possession in a dangerous position but our guys don't want the ball and that is a poor reflection on both them and the coaching.

Good post. Jim Gannon thought the same thing and he was right. The problem is though that we don't have the players to play the ball out. You can just envisage the ball being rolled out to Stevie Hammell; he is closed down rapidly by the opposition so he plays quickly it to McManus, who in turn is also closed down and he gets rid of it to Law who is pressed and then gives the ball away. Unless you have quick skillful players at the back its a dangerous game. The opposition quickly learn to press high up the park and close us down.

You're also right about our off the ball tendencies. I was very impressed with Saints' off the ball work yesterday especially defensively. At one point in the second half Lasley got rid of the ball quickly to Johnson who then had 3 defenders close him down immediately. They worked hard off the ball to close us down and deny us any space. Aberdeen were the same. At throw ins in both games opponents closed us down irrespective of which half we were in. These sides work hard and quickly when off the ball to smother any threat immediately and thats something we just won't or, more likely, can't do.

I've seen nothing from this guy Taylor, and I mean nothing, to suggest he's any better than Shaun Fagan or Marc Fitzpatrick!!

That's some accusation to make after seeing him only two or three times and I hope to feck you're wrong because the alternative is very frightening!

Watching the highlights. Both goals were carbon copies,winger beats his man as if he werent there,squares across the box and McManus allows his man to score unopposed. Were so soft its unbelieveable.

this combined with our conversion rate of 1 goal every 73 chances means we walk onto the park at a disadvantage.

Were not well coached,were not well drilled and

were mentally fragile. Just what does Barafraud do apart from make questionable subs that cost us points?

Ripley looks a great find excellent goalie hope we can keep him till end of season but Taylor is pish send him back to reading thinking we need 2 or 3 new signings.

But, but.. Taylor can't be pish because when I suggested he shouldn't start against Hearts I was shouted down by all the resident experts on here that he had to start because he was an international and much better than what we had.

Wee clue people. If he was that good he would be in the Reading first team this season.

Just watched the highlights, we had enough chances to win 4 or 5 games but the defending for the goals is absolutely criminal. Law and in particular McManus for the first, and then Chalmers, Leitch and Laing for the second, horrendous stuff.

I really want Barraclough to succeed, but I'm slowly resigned to accepting it's just not going to work. If he doesn't get 2 wins in the next 2 games then it's time to go.

Edit - weeyin, you've said that like 10 times since the Hearts game. You were right, let it go.

Motherwell fans talk a good game but for a lot of them it's all bollocks. "We need two or three new signings" kind of goes against the ethos that the kids will get their chance. Any player we bring in now will just get in the way of a young player's development.

Perhaps those calling for new signings want Dom Thomas, Luke Watt, Ross McLean and Chris Cadden still playing 10-15 minute cameos when they're 21?

I despair...

Exactly, and we're not even through August yet.

Also, for all the people (including me) who said they'd be happy with 7th or 8th this season - well that would mean losing most of our games against the top 6 candidates which is pretty much what we are doing here.

I don't care who the manager is, the rot was deep after Mcalll left. The remainder of the season was all about survival, but it's going to take 2 or 3 years to rebuild ourselves out of that mess.

The defence is too slow in every area. If you're going to play a big bruiser at centre half you need a Reynolds type fast player next to him. We have 2 slow big guys. The full backs are both slow. The centre of the park is too slow. With no creativity. They also don't protect the centre of defence. The 2 wingers are inconsistent and don't protect the slow full backs. Our best player is out of form and played out of position. We play with one striker who is completely isolated and unproven at this level.

What could possibly go wrong?!??

• Like 1

It's called making an informed choice not to do something. For the record I go, apart from today, home and away each week and am a season ticket holder and shareholder for that matter. Your comments are pish

That seems a bit of a waste of a St, if you're not going back under current regime, after 2 home games, defeats admittedly ,but reasonable performances

My biggest concern isn't any particular player although a few are not exactly making a strong case for themselves, I think collectively we are still mentally scarred by the horror of last season that the papping of Rangers has only papered over.

Yesterday was my first in the flesh competitve game this season and over the piece there was nothing between the sides and no one would have complained if it had finished a draw but I reckon the players and arguably the manager cacked it a bit.

Can Barraclough turn it round? Well the next two games are absolutely must wins and if we happen to lose both I think the board has to bite the bullet and sack him. He did inherit a bad situation, and I'd even suggest the team is playing notably better than at the start of last season but it matters very little if we don't get results.

Getting Pearson back would make everyones live easier and I feel a bit sorry for Taylor, without being a stand out I didn't feel he was that bad and both bookings were harsh. I would suggest though when on a yellow you shouldn't go down easy even if there is contact. Subbing him on a yellow appeared to make more sense than taking off Ainsworth who certainly wasn't having the worst game. Didn't think the change made that drastic an impact to pattern of the game but handed critics a stick to beat him with when it didn't work as it certainly didn't reverse the swing to St.Johnstone.

Ainsworth and Johnson are typical wingers in our price range. Hugely erratic form and patchy commitment to defensive duties. Not given to slavishly following team orders either. For what it's worth I don't think starting them both regularly is helping, we need to be tougher to beat.

I would sacrifice Marv in the games we play against the more lowly sides. They sit in and he can't stretch his legs, save him for games when we're penned in. Oh and tell him to at least learn how to challenge for headers, truly embarrassing watching him, Ffs Stevie Hamell is 5 foot nothing and wins 80% of his headers

As for throw ins, our predilection for leaving the taker standing like a f cking lemon for what seems an eternity before anyone shows for it? Ridiculously, I cannot remember a 'Well side that didn't do that- and I'm talking watching us first hand for knocking on 50 years. Somebody please coach them. Watch quality sides, ball goes out - nearest guy picks it up and throws it instantly to the nearest team mate, momentum maintained, simples....

• Like 1

Last year Big Les intimated Bara would be kept on even if we were relegated. Not sure why that stance would suddenly change

Yep, that could be the problem. Could also have been a case of backing his man. Les seems harsh enough to know when to change things, if needed I reckon he'd have no hesitations.

Because the circumstances are entirely different now would be why it might change. Not to say Les might not have more patience than the average fan but I'm fairly sure relegation this time wouldn't be seen as acceptable. It's one thing not being able to save a sinking ship, but once you managed to drag it into port and do some work on it if it then turns out then not to be sea worthy.....I'll leave the nautical imagery there.

Last year Big Les intimated Bara would be kept on even if we were relegated. Not sure why that stance would suddenly change

What's the latest on Pearson?

Out injured.

:spiteful:

I seem to remember seven weeks being mentioned. There was IIRC a degree of relief that not only was that shorter than first feared but that the seven weeks included a couple of international breaks limiting the number of games missed.