St Johnstone V Motherwell Sat 22 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Yet the big goalie was getting pelters for poor performances.... where as taylor is to be binned without the chance to show his worth.

It's not really a fair comparison though is it? Ripley has made some real clangers yes but has kept us in games at times with some great saves, so people can see there might just be a player there worth persevering with.

What have we seen from Taylor? An empty jersey and a red card for diving. He seems to be really struggling with the pace of the game, if he doesn't get up to speed soon we can't afford to keep him in there.

How much of a pre-season did he have? Ditto for Skippy. Maybe weeyin was right and he shouldn't have gone straight into the team until he was up to full speed and the same with Skippy. I think circumstances forced our hand somewhat though. Players starting the season under suspension didn't help either.

How much of a pre-season did he have? Ditto for Skippy. Maybe weeyin was right and he shouldn't have gone straight into the team until he was up to full speed and the same with Skippy. I think circumstances forced our hand somewhat though. Players starting the season under suspension didn't help either.

I thought Taylor was in the first team squad at Reading and should have gone through pre-season training. The only excuse for him then is that he missed the first two competitive games.

I didn't go on Saturday so have only seen him twice and he didn't offer anything more than Leitch. He's obviously going to stick with him so hopefully he can improve.

Just seen the highlights..

Absolutely pathetic from the defence.

Yeah, just watched them myself there. Josh Law's "defending" in the lead up to the first goal is embarassing. Yet another goal from down his side. Needs removed from the right-back slot pronto. He simply cannot defend.

Ainsworth and Johnson are typical wingers in our price range. Hugely erratic form and patchy commitment to defensive duties. Not given to slavishly following team orders either. For what it's worth I don't think starting them both regularly is helping, we need to be tougher to beat.

I would sacrifice Marv in the games we play against the more lowly sides. They sit in and he can't stretch his legs, save him for games when we're penned in. Oh and tell him to at least learn how to challenge for headers, truly embarrassing watching him, Ffs Stevie Hamell is 5 foot nothing and wins 80% of his headers

As for throw ins, our predilection for leaving the taker standing like a f cking lemon for what seems an eternity before anyone shows for it? Ridiculously, I cannot remember a 'Well side that didn't do that- and I'm talking watching us first hand for knocking on 50 years. Somebody please coach them. Watch quality sides, ball goes out - nearest guy picks it up and throws it instantly to the nearest team mate, momentum maintained, simples....

Andy Walker was the last Well player that I remember consistently finding good space at throw-ins and making himself available to do something constructive.

Yeah, just watched them myself there. Josh Law's "defending" in the lead up to the first goal is embarassing. Yet another goal from down his side. Needs removed from the right-back slot pronto. He simply cannot defend.

Aye looks like he was turned by the guy walking past him..this then pulls Laing out of position but McManus is far too casual in there and then turns around to suggest that Chalmers? should be there. Just shouldnt be happening.

Second goal they are at it again.

The frequency with which Law is getting caught out of position is clearly having a knock on effect with Laing. With St Johnstone's 2nd goal Law is stood on his own, marking no one and as far as I can see contributing nothing defensively which sees Laing having to cover 2 players (not the first time this has happened either, also the case with Hearts 2nd as well). Surely he has to be tucked in at the back post and allow Laing to get tighter to the man in front.

StJ_2nd.jpg

Yes, the whole thing about defending as a team rings true but right now he's making the same mistakes week in, week out which is a concern that one way or another needs to be addressed.

Law's been making the same positional mistakes since he switched to right back in Jan/Feb. Struggling to understand how he got a 2 year deal, although Baraclough seems to appreciate a 'trier'.

Yes its nothing new. Given that we should have been looking to improve the defence I'd have thought that this would be a position we would have looked to strengthen. Downright baffled by the decision to award him another deal.

Law's been making the same positional mistakes since he switched to right back in Jan/Feb. Struggling to understand how he got a 2 year deal, although Baraclough seems to appreciate a 'trier'.

I understand the 2 year deal in so much as having him as a (presumably inexpensive) utility player with a bit of experience at the club to cover a couple of positions. I actually don't have too much of an issue with that although you could just as easily argue that for scenarios like that we should be looking to promote from the u20s or that a year's extension would have sufficed.

What I don't understand and have a genuine difficulty with is him being considered our first choice right back (if indeed that is the case).

The frequency with which Law is getting caught out of position is clearly having a knock on effect with Laing. With St Johnstone's 2nd goal Law is stood on his own, marking no one and as far as I can see contributing nothing defensively which sees Laing having to cover 2 players (not the first time this has happened either, also the case with Hearts 2nd as well). Surely he has to be tucked in at the back post and allow Laing to get tighter to the man in front.

attachicon.gifStJ_2nd.jpg

Yes, the whole thing about defending as a team rings true but right now he's making the same mistakes week in, week out which is a concern that one way or another needs to be addressed.

Without watching Sportscene this week i'd imagine that picture of the build up the goal is more analysis than Sportscene did of the entire game.

Without watching Sportscene this week i'd imagine that picture of the build up the goal is more analysis than Sportscene did of the entire game.

Just for the sake of comparison here's the Hearts 2nd goal. Obviously the ball goes right through Ripley and that's where the blame lies however worth looking at Law again since it's the same side of the park as the St Johnstone 2nd. He's certainly closer to Laing but again he's not actually engaged defensively in any way. McManus goes to press the ball, which leaves Laing again with 2 men to mark, he's touch tight with the guy at the back post but lets's say Ripley gets a decent hand to it and keeps it out (as he should) your man in the centre there has a tap in.

Hearts_2nd.jpg

Edit to add: here are two of the goals we've conceded from the other side, I know Hammell has his critics but it's worth noting the difference in how we're set up (I know we still concede but that's not really the point). Hammell is touch tight to the attacker at the back post in both cases. McManus could certainly be a bit closer to his man in the case of the United goal but nevertheless I'd imagine that's how we should expect to be when defending from the other side.

United1st.jpg

Aberdeen1st.jpg

Ripley has made some real clangers yes but has kept us in games at times with some great saveis, so people can see there might just be a player there worth persevering with.

Like Dan? Who still got pelters despite similar performances to Ripley and all over a couple of inches in height. The mind boggles

• Like 1