Motherwell V Partick Thistle Sat 26 Sep 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I would go with the 11 that finished the game last night. Play McDonald further up top with Moult. I thought some of their link up play when they came on last night looked quite promising. Although that wouldn't be hard considering the dross served up for the majority of the match.

It is about time we started feeding the ball to McDonald when he is much closer to goal. He was always renowned for his low centre of gravity, turning players and making a nuisance of himself inside the box. Link this with Moults movement and finishing and I think we'd have a chance.

Get Johnson and Ainsworth on the wings and use Grimshaw and Lasley in the middle. These are the only 2 centre midfielders that have shown enough so far this season.

Big Kennedy should be a stick on to start and the other 3 should be Hammell (if fit), McManus and Law. I would stick with Ripley in goal.

I was swithering but to be honest the amount of 5/10 yard passes he misplaced yesterday put me off him.

Him and Kennedy were both tricky ones for me.

Grimshaw was always looking for the ball, never hid and gave 100% but he did also pass the ball out the park and lost possession a few times.

Kennedy made some great tackles and has a touch of the Shaun Hutchinson hard tackling about him, but he also cost the 3rd goal and was involved in conceding the 1st as well!

If Baraclough is still in charge the future of the club is at stake, I'd rather lose one or two games in exchange for a new start, than scrap by and allow this current situation to continue. Sometimes you have to cut off a leg to save the patient. Show some long term thinking. Hopefully he gets the bullet today.

A new start like we had last season when a new manager came in?

Sticking with what we have for a few more weeks, or bringing in someone new are both big risks. If we pay off one guy and bring in someone else who fails to turn it around, we end up in an even bigger mess.

Finding the right man at the right time is not easy.

Certainly be interesting to see the team lineup on Saturday. Cadden maybe get a chance? Hoping it might see Taylor benched at least...

I think it's too early for cadden to be considered as a first teamer if I'm being honest he's only turned 19 last week and is a year behind Dom Thomas in his development. His twin has been playing in airdries first team for the last 2 seasons and maybe played too much too early (I know the levels are different but the point remains valid). Also he will be getting good advice from his dad who was also a pro footballer.

I would loan him out to a championship outfit in the hope he got regular game time this season.

I think it's too early for cadden to be considered as a first teamer if I'm being honest he's only turned 19 last week and is a year behind Dom Thomas in his development. His twin has been playing in airdries first team for the last 2 seasons and maybe played too much too early (I know the levels are different but the point remains valid). Also he will be getting good advice from his dad who was also a pro footballer.

I would loan him out to a championship outfit in the hope he got regular game time this season.

19 is plenty old enough. Sick of us only blooding players at 20-21. We wonder why other clubs get higher fees. One of the reasons, not the only one, is the fact they can sell their players younger as they've had a chance to prove themselves earlier...

19 is plenty old enough. Sick of us only blooding players at 20-21. We wonder why other clubs get higher fees. One of the reasons, not the only one, is the fact they can sell their players younger as they've had a chance to prove themselves earlier...

I know where you are coming from but the club has to weigh up what he would bring to the first team right now and the players development. When Pearson is back cadden has virtually no chance of playing much more than a handful of minutes a game whereas he would benefit from first team experience elsewhere, the club would benefit long term too. Much the same situation with Craig Moore (although I think long term cadden has a greater chance of making at Motherwell than Moore)

• Like 1

I know where you are coming from but the club has to weigh up what he would bring to the first team right now and the players development. When Pearson is back cadden has virtually no chance of playing much more than a handful of minutes a game whereas he would benefit from first team experience elsewhere, the club would benefit long term too. Much the same situation with Craig Moore (although I think long term cadden has a greater chance of making at Motherwell than Moore)

If the last few weeks have taught us anything, it's that we need a backup for Pearson...

A new start like we had last season when a new manager came in?

Sticking with what we have for a few more weeks, or bringing in someone new are both big risks. If we pay off one guy and bring in someone else who fails to turn it around, we end up in an even bigger mess.

Finding the right man at the right time is not easy.

When we are as bad as we've been there is no risk in getting rid of a manager. The only way is up or to continue the current trajectory.

The more resources Baraclough got, the more players he brought in, the worse we got. He was a liability. Anyone watching that team in the last few weeks should have known that it was absolutely bereft of even the most basic level of semi competent management.

Sacking Baraclough was the easiest decision any Motherwell board has had to make. No good previous track record like McCall. No offsetting a lack of support and resources. No playing well but not getting the result. Just rank rubbish and Championship football waiting in the wings. Anyone could see that. Taking up any kind of contrary position can only be due to complete ignorance or utter stupidity.

No one is under any illusions that the next manager has a tough job but it will be just a little bit easier for every week we might have hung in there with Baraclough, when really he was already finished.

Interested to see what formation Craigan goes with. I like the shape of the u20s but the preference would be to see 2 upfront, Moult and Skippy.

Was the whole thing with the u20s not that their shape was being dictated by the 1st team, which I'd assume would be based on what the former manager wanted to play. By all accounts from what little I've seen of the u20s they seemed to play it better than the senior team.

I like 433 and think we have the players to play it but right now I think we just need to get back to basics and as you say go with 2 up top which most obviously would be 442.

Think we'll line up 4-4-2.

Will be interesting to see who's in goals, and who's on the bench in that keeper spot. I think he'll go with...

Ripley

Law

McManus

Laing

Hammell

Ainsworth

Lasley

Grimshaw

Johnson

Moult

McDonald

On paper that's a top 6 team potentially!

I like 433 and think we have the players to play it but right now I think we just need to get back to basics and as you say go with 2 up top which most obviously would be 442.

I think we need to go 4-4-2, at least in the short term.

Interestingly although most teams are playing the what is now standard 4-2-3-1, Ross County have turned things around by going with a 4-4-2.

However the creative midfielder is perhaps even more important in a 4-4-2 than it is in our current system. Ross County have Jackson Irvine, we don't have a player like that.

Interestingly although most teams are playing the what is now standard 4-2-3-1, Ross County have turned things around by going with a 4-4-2.

However the creative midfielder is perhaps even more important in a 4-4-2 than it is in our current system. Ross County have Jackson Irvine, we don't have a player like that.

Jackson is the defensive minded midfielder at Ross county with woods or gardyne pushing forward to support

That's a good point. I think it's notable that the one period of form we found under Baraclough (whether it was vs poor sides or not) coincided with us going 442 with Pearson in that CM box to box role.

The 4231 has really just been co-opted by most teams as a default system and arguably few teams in the league actually play it well. In the case of Ross County they've gone with a system that suits them and is straightforward to play.

Either way, short term getting some sort of cohesive team is paramount. It can be tinkered with once we've got some form and points on the board.