Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Shiels beat Rangers home and away, Celtic in a cup final, Celtic at Parkhead and we drew 3-3 with Celtic at RP.

To put that into context we'd not won at Parkhead in 57 years (had been champions of Scotland and runners up 4 times in that time) and hadn't beaten Rangers at home in 18 years.

Fair enough. I was unaware of most of those results and can't argue against them.

I just found it uncomfortable to be hearing a potential Motherwell manager referring to Rangers as being a better team right now than Motherwell, and almost every other Premier League team. Especially when it was just two days after Rangers were comfortably beaten by St Johnstone.

A lot of left-field chat, perhaps right-wing is more appropriate.......

:stop:

To add a little more to the Di Canio story. Apparently he sees us as a good way of showcasing his talents up here as he has his sights on the Septic job after Ronny D runs his race. Not my idea of a managerial selection if that his is agenda.

I like Shiels as a character but I think he would be too polarising. We need someone who is going to bring everyone together because obviously there has been a split in the camp and tensions among the playing staff. Shield would start an argument in an empty hoose.

Little chance of that happening (though I agree it's what's needed) - just need to trawl through this thread to see the number of differing opinons on the next appointment, any one of which could polarise opinion.

Not convinced Shiels would galvanise the club and support, but might just be the man to kick ass (if that's what's needed) in the dressing room - what I've heard from him, he is a strong, opinionated character and certainly doesn't seem to suffer fools gladly.

Not sure whether I get this take on 'fawning' over the Old Firm - as long as we have Chic Young and Co, doing that, all questions of that nature will be loaded to provide an answer that will appeal to the Old Firm fan.

If Shiels did one thing at Killie (apart from the cup win) it was galvanise the support.

Michael Johnston being a bellend helped in that respect but the amount of community work he did was unbelievable.

He was literally chapping doors of lapsed season ticket holders, getting players to visit them, hand delivered season tickets, turned up at youth games every night of the week. No fans function was too much hassle.

I've not seen a manager so universally liked at Killie since Burns.

His one downside is that he just can't shut up!

If Shiels did one thing at Killie (apart from the cup win) it was galvanise the support.

Michael Johnston being a bellend helped in that respect but the amount of community work he did was unbelievable.

He was literally chapping doors of lapsed season ticket holders, getting players to visit them, hand delivered season tickets, turned up at youth games every night of the week. No fans function was too much hassle.

I've not seen a manager so universally liked at Killie since Burns.

His one downside is that he just can't shut up!

That's good to know. When I made that comment I wasn't sure whether he or anyone else could it - but if he is that committed to a cause, he miight just be a decent appointment.

Thanks for the insight Squirrel (you wouldn't happen to be a fanzine editor by any chance?).

Listening to Shiels being interviewed yesterday evening was utterly painful and only reinforced to me that he shouldn't be anywhere near the club.

In truth if his first port of call is to do a fairly desperate sounding public interview on national radio for a job he was overlooked for first time around then it'd suggest to me that he doesn't have much confidence that he'd get the job, though that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

There's a fairly marked difference between simply expressing interest in the job and his appearance on Sportsound last night.

I genuinely think Kenny Shields is a very good manager that gets the best out of players, rallies the support, brings through and encourages youth and is tactically astute to get results in big games. I like his passion for the game also.

However, he is argumentative, over opinionated and generally a complete and utter gobshite who will alienate fans/club officials/players in time.

And for me, the later has alarm bells ringing that he should be nowhere near our thoughts for next manager.

As for Henry - why would he leave his multi million pound a year deal with Sky and coaching role with Arsenal U21's to join us?? Think its more a case of his agent leaking his name out their to suggest he is contemplating going into management when the right job comes along (ie not us!)

As for Henry - why would he leave his multi million pound a year deal with Sky and coaching role with Arsenal U21's to join us?? Think its more a case of his agent leaking his name out their to suggest he is contemplating going into management when the right job comes along (ie not us!)

It's not even as 'official' a story as an agent leaking his name. It's just off the back of his name appearing on betting markets and some 'content' being generated from that. Klopp was 3rd favourite at 8/1 yesterday FFS.

• Like 1

It's not even as 'official' a story as an agent leaking his name. It's just off the back of his name appearing on betting markets and some 'content' being generated from that. Klopp was 3rd favourite at 8/1 yesterday FFS.

Is Hammerfist out of the nick or been allowed on the internet in the Library ??

In truth if his first port of call is to do a fairly desperate sounding public interview on national radio for a job he was overlooked for first time around then it'd suggest to me that he doesn't have much confidence that he'd get the job, though that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

There's a fairly marked difference between simply expressing interest in the job and his appearance on Sportsound last night.

To be fair to him, his appearance on Sportsound last night was already booked well before we lost to Morton. It was inevitable because he was on the previous shortlist that he would get asked about it vacant position.

To be fair to him, his appearance on Sportsound last night was already booked well before we lost to Morton. It was inevitable because he was on the previous shortlist that he would get asked about it vacant position.

If that's the case then fair enough and it's probably quite unfortunate. The whole thing sounded utterly desperate either way.