Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

We saw Mixu Paateleinen in the POD Stand today, so it would seem he's interested in our vacancy. According to Radio Scotland we hope to have a new man in place by next weekend.

Didn't he say he was interested but hadn't applied and wasn't going to interview for the job?

Could mean he's been approached and the job is his.

Maskaant tweeting that it was nice to see us win and that we had the basics of a good, winning team. Baraclough tweeting that he should maybe have blackened a few eyes before this.

Of course, it's twitter so who knows if that's even them. Sometimes I'm not even sure it's me when I'm on the twitter machine...

I wouldn't be overly keen on Macnamara. No idea why, but just don't get a good feeling. Mixu seems like a shout. His chat on the radio was interesting, I got the impression that he'd been informally approached and given the chat about us wanting someone in place by next weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if it's his to turn down.

Question is would Mixu choose us or United?

Ex Utd player and Tannadice is nearer his house than Fir Park but which squad does he view as having greater potential?

Thats if either board are remotely interested in him.....

That's an interesting point. I also heard the board were expecting to have 70 applications in by the time they meet on Mon, so a lot of thinking to be done. Which makes me think that someone is lined up rather that them trying to prepare a shortlist, interview and then negotiate, all in the space of four days?

Interesting times...

I posted this back in April

"We are beat before we get on the park. A new manager has come in with fresh ideas ,trying to change things ,trying to get a bunch of seasoned pros and 'journeymen' to get into his way of thinking. Baraclough was beaten before he started.Bit of contraversy now , he reminds me of a Mr Gannon who also came in with fresh ideas! What we needed was a Craig Brown to come in and steady the ship again , someone who has done the rounds and knew the Scottish game and would have kept us in with a shout of avoiding relegation. It may not have been pretty but we would have been difficult to beat"

We don't need more fresh meat for our seasoned pros to feast on. The dressing room as it stands needs someone who is respected and has been around the scottish game for a few years. Someone who is not afraid to kick some comfortable butts.

Come back Mark McGhee all is forgiven.

I posted this back in April

"We are beat before we get on the park. A new manager has come in with fresh ideas ,trying to change things ,trying to get a bunch of seasoned pros and 'journeymen' to get into his way of thinking. Baraclough was beaten before he started.Bit of contraversy now , he reminds me of a Mr Gannon who also came in with fresh ideas!

Agree with much of this. In terms of his on the park organisation and tactics, you'r right. Because an idea is new though doesn't necessarily mean its right. Both he and Jim Gannon made similar errors. The kind of football they wanted to play was fine in theory. The problem however was that it didn't suit the players they inherited or indeed brought in. They failed to realise that you have to work with what you've got. In Gannon's case he wanted to play constructive passing from the back - great in theory. The problem was that our defence was in the main slow and lacking in footballing skill. Opposing teams soon realised that if they pressed us high up the park and harried our defenders they'd beat us and thats just what happened.

I wouldn't want McNamara anyway but he's not been sacked just moved to the side. He's still under contract for 2 and a half years so I think that rules him out until his contract situation is sorted out.

Paatelainen - would he prefer the Dundee Utd job to ours? Former player, bigger club and he lives on the east coast.

We don't need more fresh meat for our seasoned pros to feast on. The dressing room as it stands needs someone who is respected and has been around the scottish game for a few years. Someone who is not afraid to kick some comfortable butts.

I agree, we need someone who knows the Scottish game. This may seem predictable and boring to some, however, the managers that we have employed out with that remit have not delivered.

Us or Dundee Utd? .... Mixu will be looking his Tangerine tie out the wardrobe as we speak, no question.

With respect to Baraclough, I'd be surprised if he wasn't a home thinking if Pearson hadn't been injured on day one if he'd still be in a job. I'm pretty sure he would have at least got to Christmas at least if that was the case.

Jackie Macnamara? A resounding no from me. Yes, he lost 4 very decent players, but look at the money he's had at his disposal to bring in new players. There were also another 7+ players deemed good enough to play for United. Ok it may have taken time to rebuild but with their playing budget they shouldn't be sitting anywhere near second bottom.

Us or Dundee Utd? .... Mixu will be looking his Tangerine tie out the wardrobe as we speak, no question.

With respect to Baraclough, I'd be surprised if he wasn't a home thinking if Pearson hadn't been injured on day one if he'd still be in a job. I'm pretty sure he would have at least got to Christmas at least if that was the case.

He might also be thinking if he hadn't signed Jake Taylor, he'd still be in a job.

His persistence with him was the final straw for many.

• Like 1