Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

What managerial experience did Guadiola have before he got the Barca gig? Even the best managers often have a duff spell or two on their CV. Craigan strikes me as a reasonably intelligent chap with a solid playing career with top level international football experience and a great affinity with our club. Short of landing someone that seems pie in the sky I doubt we'll have many clearly better options, and we could still punt him before January if it was a disastrous Frank Sauzee type start.

Certainly not seen a lot of names I'd leap at.

Coached their reserves inbetween doping himself to the gills, didn't he?

Good experience for being their first team coach, allegedly.

Welcome to Motherwell, watch over your shoulder and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. ...... Next .....

Is that really the message we want to send, because be assured, any "names" you wouldn't leap at would diminish come January if that is how we behaved as a club.

Our next manager will be the 8th in 9 years. Despite that 6 of them stayed too long and most people felt we had to get rid of the Brown at the end of that season anyway.

Supporters need to stop looking at managers as sacred cows or imagining that the new guy will be here as long as Tommy McLean. It's about what the manager can do for the club, if the new guy has to go in January he has to go. If he does well and leaves we start again. There's no shortage of candidates.

I'd rather not. He's a tosser, and as said above, this would be his hopeful route to the Celtic job, just like last time.

i would take McGhee good coaching credentials and i get the impression he would not take any shit from the dressing room. As for the Celtic gig if and when Delia goes he wont be anywhere near it, they see themselves as global superstars these days, ex players dont fit the profile.
  • Like 1

You mean apart from the two seasons where he won league titles with Reading and Milwall, as well as the season where he won promotion with Brighton?

Did he not win those with teams other people assembled, though and not even being manager for a full season? I seem to remember he relegated a couple of those with the teams he actually built.

McGhee could be the ideal fix: knows many current players and backroom team; good knowledge of the club; could win the dressing room quickly and commands respect.

Les and the directorship know only way to earn is get fans in, climb the league and develop/sell players...in my opinion McGhee is best opportunity to do this over rookies in lower divisions or those who are untested as managers in Scotland.

Gamble on McGhee 33/1

Would rather get a new man in,someone who will excite the fans and get us going again cos the last 16 months have been awfull and we need to get these 7-800 fans that we've lost back again. What about Stevie Evans who did a good job for Rotherham. Good contacts in England, good experienced manager who could work with Craigan.

McGhee couldn't give a fuck about Motherwell.

Yes he had an unbelievable first season despite pimping himself for the Celtic gig at every turn. He provided some of the best Motherwell performances we've ever seen. His 2nd season however, post jambo pay-rise, was absolutely brutal.

Time after time he's proved that his ego undermines his management ability.

Very briefly I met Mark McGhee last year at a Scotland training session at Celtic Park, it was just after Stuart McCall left. I asked him if he was going to be the next Motherwell manager. He looked at me and said that's a hard job that. He was definitely ruling himself out then. The Motherwell jobs probably just as tough 12 months on albeit we've arguably got some better players and potentially there might be some cash to splash. Neither for or against McGhee coming back, we were great his first season in charge. McGarrys goal at love street set us on our way.

McGhee couldn't give a fuck about Motherwell.

Yes he had an unbelievable first season despite pimping himself for the Celtic gig at every turn. He provided some of the best Motherwell performances we've ever seen. His 2nd season however, post jambo pay-rise, was absolutely brutal.

Time after time he's proved that his ego undermines his management ability.[/quote

I wouldn't imagine many managers with an interest in the job give a fuck about Motherwell.

I don't think McGhee would come back.

But I reckon if he did we'd be comfortably mid table this season.

Fans are fickle, if he came back & done alright there wouldn't be too many complaining after the last fuck up

If McGhee came back, managed to teach McDonald how to pass a ball 5 yards, had our front 3 or 4 ripping shreds out of defenders, while our own defenders remembered how to do basics and we ended up either a) top 6 or b) going on a decent cup run then almost everyone (not all, but let's be honest there are some who still maintained to the very end Higdon was not good enough for us) would be waxing lyrical.

Looking at our players I think there is a decent team there in respect to this league. Think McGhee could do us a turn.

Is he the best man for the job? Fuck knows as I don't know the name of every applicant.

So you reckon if our new manager does a Sauzee and starts with 6/7 game losing streak he wouldn't be under pressure? Plenty clubs have quickly moved a manager on after a truly awful short spell and it would make he-haw difference to our efforts to replace him.

Wasn't advocating we go out of our way to be overly ruthless and Craigan would at least have the luxury of at least one win under his belt, and pointing out we have a big of wiggle room to take a chance despite his inexperience.

Welcome to Motherwell, watch over your shoulder and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. ...... Next .....

Is that really the message we want to send, because be assured, any "names" you wouldn't leap at would diminish come January if that is how we behaved as a club.

So you reckon if our new manager does a Sauzee and starts with 6/7 game losing streak he wouldn't be under pressure? Plenty clubs have quickly moved a manager on after a truly awful short spell and it would make he-haw difference to our efforts to replace him.

Wasn't advocating we go out of our way to be overly ruthless and Craigan would at least have the luxury of at least one win under his belt, and pointing out we have a big of wiggle room to take a chance despite his inexperience.

No I'm saying if there were folk like you on the board of Manchester Utd in the mid 80's then the following 13 EPL Championships, Domestics Cups and 2 Champions Leagues wouldn't have happened.

It wouldn't affect our attempts to replace him from 65 or so of the CV's we have on Flow's desk, but the 5 that truly have something about them, perception we are hot headed and are not prepared to give a degree of time would.

No I'm saying if there were folk like you on the board of Manchester Utd in the mid 80's then the following 13 EPL Championships, Domestics Cups and 2 Champions Leagues wouldn't have happened.

It wouldn't affect our attempts to replace him from 65 or so of the CV's we have on Flow's desk, but the 5 that truly have something about them, perception we are hot headed and are not prepared to give a degree of time would.

For every Alex Ferguson there are a thousand Ian Baracloughs.

Your argument doesn't make any sense.

A small thing...but to nip it in the bud. The football committee are doing the the interviews and not Flow for this. Seems you are implying Flow is involved in the decision making on this.