Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

I had pretty much written of Craigan for yesterdays performance, but hearing his summary I'm inclined to think we need to be checking if our managers are getting spiked with hallucinogenics around game time.

He might not have been blunt, but it sounded like his comments were spot on given that he basically accused the team of needing a long hard look at theselves for the effort (or lack of) they put in, giving away too many soft goals, too many bad decisions when passing, and missing easy chances.

A dig at our toothless strikers on Sportscene.

Sign of a man looking to show his cojones ?

"plenty of creativity in wide areas" and "putting the balls into right areas"?

two of the strikers had 19 minutes, I think I seen one cross ball from another strikers corner that made it to the box, and one other cross from Law in that time

McDonald was crap (again) but everything he tried to collect was out wide,then he wasted it all, be happy if he had the balls to call him out as poor in possession, but to indicate Moult, Robinson and Fletcher were the failings on the day - utter utter crap.

After some of the comments about Craigan's post match, I thought maybe I had heard a different interview. But no, seems it was the same one. Given that it was an MFC TV video, I think his direct quotes below aren't exactly happy clappy:

"2nd half for some reason took us 23 minutes to bring 3 or 4 passes together. If you're going to be in a game where you can't keep the ball then your always going to be on the back foot".

"Do they sit back a bit and invite the opposition on..."

"Again, poor goals conceded"

"I think back to lots of games this season where the opposition is getting into our box too easy, scoring goals too easy"

"A cross ball, and you set up a wall for a free kick and just disintegrates. There's no excuses, the players just have to face up to it. The players have to understand where they're going in their careers first and foremost at Motherwell."

"You don't come up to football games and just get through them, just play and get a couple of touches of the ball. You have to show that bit of heart sometime. Put your foot in and be strong. If you don't do that then you're always going to be on the back foot."

"Anger and frustration because people are paying good money to travel up"

".. it's about understanding 'do I really want to win that ball - do I really want to get on the end of that ball?'... you know, the opposition gets one and it goes in the back of the net".

I'm not saying Craigan would be my first choice for manager but did anyone really expect him to turn round a 12 defeats in 15 away league matches record in a week?

Reality check needed for some.

We've been catastrophically mismanaged. Whoever gets the job has a hard, hard job ahead of them.

• Like 1

IB must have left his Observers book of clichés behind when he left

Trite nonsense- meaningless chewing gum for the ears

New man required

I thought he was fine in the interview....not saying he's the man for the job, but I didn't think he was sugar coating anything.I can only go on the highlights, some of the build up play looked good, but we are too easy to score against.Dundee first goal , cross comes in too easy and no challenge on the boy , who scores and the second goal.........

We've been catastrophically mismanaged. Whoever gets the job has a hard, hard job ahead of them.

Yes we've been mismanaged but its hard to say if Baraclough's successor will have a hard job on their hands. Many feel that the players are underperforming. If thats the case we have to ask why they're doing so. Maybe thats something the new man can rectify maybe its not. Is it the bonus system? Is it players being played out of position? Are there personality conflicts? Is it because we have talented individuals but they just don't have the character to compete? Is it because we have too many loan players? Is it because the make up of the team just isn't right - some players just don't fit in with a team's system.

Who knows. What we need in the new management team is a mixture of skills - good man management and someone who is tactically astute.

Yes we've been mismanaged but its hard to say if Baraclough's successor will have a hard job on their hands. Many feel that the players are underperforming. If thats the case we have to ask why they're doing so. Maybe thats something the new man can rectify maybe its not. Is it the bonus system? Is it players being played out of position? Are there personality conflicts? Is it because we have talented individuals but they just don't have the character to compete? Is it because we have too many loan players? Is it because the make up of the team just isn't right - some players just don't fit in with a team's system.

Who knows. What we need in the new management team is a mixture of skills - good man management and someone who is tactically astute.

Maybe Baraclough really misjudged the league and the players are actually just not good enough, making t a hell of a job for Craigen or anyone else.

• Like 1

Maybe Baraclough really misjudged the league and the players are actually just not good enough, making t a hell of a job for Craigen or anyone else.

I think there's a lot in this. I'm not necessarily sure there's some cloak-and-dagger mismanagement (as such) going on behind the scenes, I just think that the fundamental quality of the squad isn't what it should be. There have been numerous cases of players from the English lower leagues coming up to do a job (look at the likes of Humphrey and Law for us, and the likes of Tansey at ICT), but Baraclough seems to have failed pretty badly in spotting potential. Let's be honest, panic signing or not, he did sign Tony Straker...

The new processes that seem to have been implemented - fitness coaches, an improved scouting network (so we're told) - seem to have been more Les' baby than Ian Baraclough. There's scope to build on that but the focus needs to be on getting a proven man manager who can get the best out of the limited talents we currently have.

By no means is this a defence of his signings and I understand why people are going with this idea but in reality how many of Baraclough's permanent signings from this summer would be in our 'strongest XI'? If anything it's this that's the problem, not that his signings show that he 'underestimated' the league but rather it shows that the signings he's made over the summer didn't improve on what he thought was his best XI. Instead they've been brought in to supplement the core of the squad. The same core that, it doesn't really need pointing out, underachieved and finished in the play-off positions.

Ripley - on loan, contracted to Middlesboro for next 3 years

Grimshaw - on loan from Man United or Law - was already at the club (though Bara did extend his deal)

Kennedy - voted MOM on a couple of occasions here, has shown a lot of potential

McManus - was already at the club

Hammell - was already at the club

Ainsworth - was already at the club

Lasley - was already at the club

Pearson - generally regarded as our best midfielder

Johnson - out of form at the moment certainly or Thomas - already at the club

Moult - our top scorer at the moment

McDonald - hasn't kicked a ball this season by would hardly say bringing him in was 'underestimating' the league.

Beyond that he's brought in;

Fletcher - who's been injured

Laing - a decent enough centre half, with potential

Chalmers - as cover for Hammell

Taylor - on loan from Reading and has been brutal but not a permanent signing

Clarkson - arguably brought in in case we didn't get McDonald

Robinson - panic buy no question

Samson - again WTF

Taking over an 11th placed team should have suggested he needed to improve the quality and as you mention he hasn't. That stops at his door regardless. So it would appear he may have got it wrong. It's just a thought, there seems a lot of 'best staring 11' and 'if players can reach their potential' but maybe too many are substandard. I would also say that the decline in player standards was probably happening with McCall as well.

Just a hunch though.

• Like 1

Apart from cover for Pearson, we should have enough quality to be fighting for top 6 this season. Not saying we'll make top 6, but should be at least in the fight.I don't think it's the signings Baraclough made, so much, as his inability to find his best starting 11 and/or tactics. Of course there have been guys that didn't work out, but that is par for the course for any manager. I think Craigan has shown he's not ready for the step-up yet (even if he wanted it), but someone with a bit more tactical nous should be able to stabilize things in the short term.

Having said all that, I think some fans understimate what a bad state we were in last season - or rather, how much effort it takes to address that state of affairs. It took wee Tommy 4 or 5 seasons to build us from a newly promoted First Division team into a team that challenged for the top of the SPL. It could take the same again for any new gaffer.

• Like 2