Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Regardless who we get, this forum will bring out the best and worst elements of our support and modern social media. Plenty will run him down before a ball is kicked, some because of any of his previous footballing links, some due to conjecture and hearsay and some purely for his hairdo/outfit he wore in 1995 or name he gave his dug.

One thing is certain, a few will have it in their arsenal to come on here in a few months time and profess their acumen and insight if things don't go to plan. I like to refer to them as the "told you so's".

To be fair I think there's very few candidates out there that we could attract that would get a universal thumbs up from our support.

I was having a look on a Dundee Utd forum the other day to see what names were being touted on their boards and if those names could have any relevance for us.

At that point in time Paul Lambert was being discussed as a genuine possibility for them. I could not believe the amount of negativity towards Lambert. It was a minority, but enough to surprise me.

To me, he would be a no brainer for any SPFL club with a huge amount of experience and a fantastic managerial record (if his last months at Villa are disregarded). Even he was not good enough for some on the Utd forum.

I think this proves your point about football fans in general, not just our own. We could only dream that Lambert would come to us, but you could guarantee that even that would not meet with universal approval on here.

Baraclough was judged on his merit of over achieving with limited resources, based on your assertion of

"it should depend on what someone has achieved in that league. Treat each candidate on their merit"

Nobody can argue those involved in the selection process back in December 2014 they did that and deemed he was suitable.

As for our next manager, I think we'll get someone that's at our level, by which I mean 3.5-4k support, budget of £1-1.5m a year in a uncompetitive league where 2nd is the best you can hope for. There won't be any surprises, nobody who we get will result in a collective "really? how did we manage that?"

I asked before in the thread and nobody answered but does anyone reckon Steve Robinson has thrown his hat in the ring?

I just think too many of our fans are expecting a re-run of an Alex Ferguson scenario where our next manager comes in and wants to empire build, turns down many opportunities to move on "for the love of the club", promotes a youth academy and slowly we increase our standing over time till in 2030 we welcome the Champions League trophy back to our full 50,000 seater stadium at Ravenscraig.

In reality if we're lucky we'll get an Alex Ferguson at St. Mirren forging his career. Fergie at Aberdeen is beyond us.

In 2009 in The Cooper Suite, someone suggested that Wales were doing the right thing, creating a young squad and letting them gel together, six years later, they qualified for a major competition for the first time since 1976.

I say, bring back the messiah,

James Gannon!!

• Like 2

At that point in time Paul Lambert was being discussed as a genuine possibility for them. I could not believe the amount of negativity towards Lambert. It was a minority, but enough to surprise me.

Doesn't particularly surprise me... the Villa fans I know couldn't wait to be shot of him.

His teams were papped out the FA Cup by lower league opposition four seasons in a row though, so he'd probably fit in well here :)

There are experienced managers out there who would be interested in coming to us, who have a decent track record. The question is at what level? Managers of smaller clubs or clubs of a similar level may well be interested in our vacancy.

The problem is that our level, any guy with experience of management in England who would apply, will have a mixed track record at best. English football being what it is even small clubs ostensibly have cash, out of kilter with their actual size.

Whether or not a candidate has English management experience matters not a jot to me. The fact that someone may have managed in the English Championship is neither here nor there - it should depend on what someone has achieved in that league. Treat each candidate on their merit.

I agree that the successful candidate will not enjoy the universal approval of our support - I would not expect them to. Human nature being what it is, if you ask 10 fans or employees of a company or charity or whatever what kind of managerial candidate they would prefer and you'll get a variety of answers. If our new manager is being selected by committee then its quite possible the individual members will have varying opinions.

100% agree with what you say Dave.

But my impression is 1 man holds the triumph card over all others here. If Hutchy boy wants candidate A,B or C, that's potentialy what we'll get. However, This Fiasco can be turned round with a good appointment as has been proved in the past!

I in no way feel smug in regards to the downfall of my club, but watching the unfolding of events over a few seasons had a highly probable outcome, which unfortunately proved correct. Bad decision, followed by bad decision compounded where we are!

Don't forget this!

Experiences and knowledge learned has placed this board in a stronger position and hopefully this group will be all the better for it.

One good appointment negates everything that has happened over the course, but failure could be fatal for our club.

History will be the judge of our decision - pick well!

• Like 1

100% agree with what you say Dave.

But my impression is 1 man holds the triumph card over all others here. If Hutchy boy wants candidate A,B or C, that's potentialy what we'll get. However, This Fiasco can be turned round with a good appointment as has been proved in the past!

I in no way feel smug in regards to the downfall of my club, but watching the unfolding of events over a few seasons had a highly probable outcome, which unfortunately proved correct. Bad decision, followed by bad decision compounded where we are!

Don't forget this!

Experiences and knowledge learned has placed this board in a stronger position and hopefully this group will be all the better for it.

One good appointment negates everything that has happened over the course, but failure could be fatal for our club.

History will be the judge of our decision - pick well!

Have to agree the football committee may select a shortlist but I'm sure it will be Les that selects and appoints the manager.

I'm getting massively underloaded with information or indeed interest in the press around our likely new manager. It seems fairly apparent that the football community as a whole quite simply doesn't give a single f ck.

which is getting right on my wick

That and the sheer anticlimax of another international weekend

Ffs- I watched a bit of the egg- chasing yesterday

Please

- bring on a new boss

- and bring on Saturday's game

Nobody can argue those involved in the selection process back in December 2014 they did that and deemed he was suitable.

I still think he had a mixed record. He had a poorish record whilst at Scunthorpe and was fired when the club dropped to 3rd bottom. Sligo Rovers - initially he did very well winning some silverware but latterly the club dropped down the league.

You ask about Steve Robinson? Ostensibly the quiet man of Fir Park, but I'm not so sure after the Cappielow dressing room bust up rumours. Supposedly he's a great tactician but thats about all I know of him. Don't know if he's applied or not.

Robert Maaskant has been sacked by NAC Breda this week. If my Google translate is any good, he was binned because the players had lost confidence in him after they were relegated last year and are only sitting in 6th in the juliper league this season.

Was going to say we dodged a bullet there but unfortunately it ricocheted of a bit of English cheddar shipped over from Ireland and still skelped us on the arse.

This is dragging on far too long for my liking....unless the reports are true about waiting on Valakari, what the he'll can be taking so long.

I'm sure somebody has the stats that will prove me wrong, but is it really taking any longer than usual? Can't say it really feels like it to me.

I'm sure somebody has the stats that will prove me wrong, but is it really taking any longer than usual? Can't say it really feels like it to me.

Don't know about stats but its not taking any longer than usual. We usually take our time to make appointments. Perhaps some bigger clubs like Dundee United simply target candidates and chase them up, whereas we don't.

At the moment it's been about 2.5 weeks since Baraclough was binned, here are the time lines for previous appointments;

McCall > Baraclough = 2nd November 2014 (resigned) - 13th December 2014 (appointed) = 6 weeks (approx)

Brown > McCall = 9th December 2010 (resigned) - 30th December 2010 (appointed) = 3 weeks (approx)

Gannon > Brown = 28th December 2009 (sacked) - 29th December 2009 (appointed caretaker) = 1 day

McGhee > Gannon = 12th June 2009 (leaves club for Aberdeen) - 30th June 2009 (appointed) = 2.5 weeks (approx)

Malpas > McGhee = 1st June 2007 (sacked) - 18th June 2007 (appointed) = 2.5 weeks (approx)

At the moment it's been about 2.5 weeks since Baraclough was binned, here are the time lines for previous appointments;

McCall > Baraclough = 2nd November 2014 (resigned) - 13th December 2014 (appointed) = 6 weeks (approx)

Brown > McCall = 9th December 2010 (resigned) - 30th December 2010 (appointed) = 3 weeks (approx)

Gannon > Brown = 28th December 2009 (sacked) - 29th December 2009 (appointed caretaker) = 1 day

McGhee > Gannon = 12th June 2009 (leaves club for Aberdeen) - 30th June 2009 (appointed) = 2.5 weeks (approx)

Malpas > McGhee = 1st June 2007 (sacked) - 18th June 2007 (appointed) = 2.5 weeks (approx)

McCall - Baraclough was so lengthy because the new ownership was completed before the new appointment...KB was manning the rudderless ship in the interim period