Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Just had a look on pie and bovril and the story seems to be that Mcghee was tasked with getting himself off the wage bill to cut costs and sell £1m of players which he heroically managed.

Unfortunately this fable ignores that Mcghee stopped working as Motherwell manager a month before Clarkson and Quinn were sold and that we actually increased the budget under Gannon rather than cutting it.

If we're true Well fans then we stick by the club through thick and through thin. Managers, players, owners, pitches, strategies all come and go but the fans should remain end of.

Throughout my 55 years of supporting the Well a lot has happened that I didn't like and perhaps you voice your disquiet but in the end you accept that and move on to the next game.

• Like 4

If we're true Well fans then we stick by the club through thick and through thin. Managers, players, owners, pitches, strategies all come and go but the fans should remain end of.

Throughout my 55 years of supporting the Well a lot has happened that I didn't like and perhaps you voice your disquiet but in the end you accept that and move on to the next game.

There are supporters and there are fans. You, my friend, are a supporter as am I (not quite at 55 years, but close to 45 years).

Mark McGhee can't help but talk pish and our board are good at finding versions of the truth that suit them.

That much we can agree on, but the man is here to win football matches. Do you think there was anyone out there better qualified, who actually wanted the job? Without knowing all of the candidates, the ones that were most linked were Craigan, Valakari and Dickov. I'd have McGhee over those three every day of the week.

Why so many fans have taken what he did previously to Motherwell so personally, I don't know. He got himself a better job at the end of the day. You may not like how he went about it, I can't say I do, but we've got two experienced players in our squad who previously left our clubs in not so nice circumstances. Funnily enough, when they show they can do us a turn, all seems to be forgiven.

You don't need to like Mark McGhee as a person, but you should be able to realise he has the capabilities to do a very good job for our football club. As for the "heroic achievement" of selling Clarkson & Quinn for £1m four weeks after he quit, do you think the value of the players suddenly shot through the roof by them doing nothing for a few weeks in June? Or was it perhaps something to do with working under Mark McGhee at Motherwell for the previous two years?

Aye,

bravo-header-42098663.jpg

We really need to get away from being told how to support our team by some 'uber' fans. Conforming to this rhetoric is as boring as it's become tiresome. I notice a split in our support that hasn't been there previously, rightly or wrongly, suspect many will vote with their feet - in an already falling support.

Look, his moving to Aberdeen & securing cashflow is now surfacing as the charm offensive to soothe the naysayers. Scott Leitch made this common knowledge to us shortly after he left & I saw the reasoning behind the move then as I do now.

Me? Think I've lost the love for the game to be fair. Can understand the appointment, I don't have to agree with it. Believe there is a much bigger picture here, not just with McGhee...

• Like 1

The contract becoming a challenge thing is total bullshit.

When he left we had about 10 first team players so a very small wage bill then not long after that we started throwing cash about at the likes of Ruddy, Jutkiewicz and Yassin.

How much did we owe to Boyle at that stage?

One area I'd defend McGhee would be his development of McCormack, Quinn and Clarkson, which led to sizeable income. During his tenure we also knocked back an offer in excess of £700k for Reynolds iirc. So he has a pedigree at FP for developing our young players.

Regarding McGhees departure however, seemingly walking away to save us cash. Did his challenging wage not stem from a rise post Hearts flirtation?

Regarding McGhees departure however, seemingly walking away to save us cash. Did his challenging wage not stem from a rise post Hearts flirtation?

Yes, but isn't that how it usually works? Tommy Wright has just signed a new 4-year deal, with a nice wage rise i'd expect, for doing nothing other than being wanted by Dundee Utd.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I seem to remember we effectively doubled his salary, partly to keep him and partly in reward for the sterling work he had done that season.

I don't think that it's fair to blame McGhee for that though. Basically he got better at his job and could command a higher salary. It works the same in every industry.

I'll be interested to see who McGhee rates and who he doesn't. Baraclough, for the most part of his career, was working with players that were a level or two below those which McGhee has worked with, as such I'm expecting McGhees standard to be higher.

He mentioned he's been taking in a lot of EPL matches as part of his Scotland role. He's obviously also been closely with the Scotland squad. I wonder what he will make of the likes of Law, Grimshaw, Taylor, Clarkson, Robinson, Twardzik, Ripley etc.

Why you posting on here , if you're not a well fan?No real fan would post anything like that

I think it's more a case of a build-up of recent events with this appointment pushing me over the edge if i'm being honest.

The Well Society and what I can only really describe as its seeming indifference to those who have put their hard-earned into the club, the sale to Les Hutchison and his general demeanour towards the support in general and the way in which he seems to be trying to threaten the fans into buying into the Society, the haphazard way in which we've been spending (wasting more like) money on players, bringing in and paying wages to guys who the previous manager had no real intention of playing whilst the youth get zero opportunities.

And now we bring back a manager who constantly had the air of someone who believed himself above the job and above our club when he was here last, and the truth is if we'd mentioned him as a possible returnee as little as six months ago it would have been met with widespread disapproval to say the least.

But now? All past transgressions are forgiven and he's the man to lead the club into the future, eh?

I've been a supporter of the club for 36 years, but I honestly believe that a lot of money men see football clubs as a venture where they can get away with the kind of behaviour that simply wouldn't be seen as acceptable in other businesses. The reason? Blind loyalty.

In no other industry would the customer (which is what we are to the owners if we're honest) put up with the absolute nonsense that football fans of various clubs put up with and yet keep coming back for more?

I love the club, but the truth is that the ownership, playing staff and now management is currently manned by people that I really don't want here. Blind loyalty would dictate that I do what's expected and simply mutter under my breath whilst still handing over my cash, right? Well, I'm fed up doing that to be honest.

My feeling at the moment is that we currently have a playing squad that was instrumental in the removal of the previous manager (be he considered the correct appointment or not) by downing tools. I've watched shite Motherwell sides in the past, and this current lot weren't shite, they simply weren't trying. There were, in my opinion, influential players in that dressing room who performed well below their capabilities in order to see the removal of a manager they didn't like.

There was no thought for the fans who pay an already extortionate amount of money to watch them both home & away. As I said, I can and have supported poor teams who simply are no good. This lot don't fall into that category. They weren't trying in my opinion, and that's unforgivable.

So aye, feel free to take the moral high ground and consider yourself a better fan than I am simply because you're willing to accept what the board throw at you. I'm sure your money will be greatly welcomed.

I'll follow the club as I always have, but I simply can't bring myself to put money into it in its current state.

• Like 2

I think it's more a case of a build-up of recent events with this appointment pushing me over the edge if i'm being honest.

The Well Society and what I can only really describe as its seeming indifference to those who have put their hard-earned into the club, the sale to Les Hutchison and his general demeanour towards the support in general and the way in which he seems to be trying to threaten the fans into buying into the Society, the haphazard way in which we've been spending (wasting more like) money on players, bringing in and paying wages to guys who the previous manager had no real intention of playing whilst the youth get zero opportunities.

And now we bring back a manager who constantly had the air of someone who believed himself above the job and above our club when he was here last, and the truth is if we'd mentioned him as a possible returnee as little as six months ago it would have been met with widespread disapproval to say the least.

But now? All past transgressions are forgiven and he's the man to lead the club into the future, eh?

I've been a supporter of the club for 36 years, but I honestly believe that a lot of money men see football clubs as a venture where they can get away with the kind of behaviour that simply wouldn't be seen as acceptable in other businesses. The reason? Blind loyalty.

In no other industry would the customer (which is what we are to the owners if we're honest) put up with the absolute nonsense that football fans of various clubs put up with and yet keep coming back for more?

I love the club, but the truth is that the ownership, playing staff and now management is currently manned by people that I really don't want here. Blind loyalty would dictate that I do what's expected and simply mutter under my breath whilst still handing over my cash, right? Well, I'm fed up doing that to be honest.

My feeling at the moment is that we currently have a playing squad that was instrumental in the removal of the previous manager (be he considered the correct appointment or not) by downing tools. I've watched shite Motherwell sides in the past, and this current lot weren't shite, they simply weren't trying. There were, in my opinion, influential players in that dressing room who performed well below their capabilities in order to see the removal of a manager they didn't like.

There was no thought for the fans who pay an already extortionate amount of money to watch them both home & away. As I said, I can and have supported poor teams who simply are no good. This lot don't fall into that category. They weren't trying in my opinion, and that's unforgivable.

So aye, feel free to take the moral high ground and consider yourself a better fan than I am simply because you're willing to accept what the board throw at you. I'm sure your money will be greatly welcomed.

I'll follow the club as I always have, but I simply can't bring myself to put money into it in its current state.

All of that is fair enough if that is how you feel, fine.

The problem I have, and I assume others have too, is in your first statement you say you hope the support dwindles further after this appointment. Surely anyone connected to the club in anyway does not want that to happen, current annoyance at the setup or not?

• Like 1

All of that is fair enough if that is how you feel, fine.

The problem I have, and I assume others have too, is in your first statement you say you hope the support dwindles further after this appointment. Surely anyone connected to the club in anyway does not want that to happen, current annoyance at the setup or not?

Unfortunately the support dwindling is the only real way of effecting change in the way the owner is thinking and going about his business. We've seen it time & again with other clubs, unless something affects the financial income nothing really changes.

Most club owners are "money" people, and that's all they understand. Truth is, most of them believe they can get away with pretty much whatever they want, because they know that, unlike other businesses, fans of a football team will more often than not continue handing over their cash at the end of the day.

I have to believe that the people responsible for bringing McGhee back knew about his reputation and how a fair amount of our support felt about him, right? But they appointed him regardless, because they know that whilst a lot of us will bitch and moan about it we'll still hand over our cash.

Unfortunately the support dwindling is the only real way of effecting change in the way the owner is thinking and going about his business. We've seen it time & again with other clubs, unless something affects the financial income nothing really changes.

Most club owners are "money" people, and that's all they understand. Truth is, most of them believe they can get away with pretty much whatever they want, because they know that, unlike other businesses, fans of a football team will more often than not continue handing over their cash at the end of the day.

I have to believe that the people responsible for bringing McGhee back knew about his reputation and how a fair amount of our support felt about him, right? But they appointed him regardless, because they know that whilst a lot of us will bitch and moan about it we'll still hand over our cash.

Fair enough if you do want the support to actually dwindle to push through a change you believe needs to happen. I just think it is a bit of a shite thing to hope for - no matter the reason.

• Like 1

So basically you are saying you want Motherwell Football Club to crash and burn out of existence, because you don't like the way things are at the moment?

Fair enough if you do want the support to actually dwindle to push through a change you believe needs to happen. I just think it is a bit of a shite thing to hope for - no matter the reason.

Trust me, it's not something I'd welcome with glee, it's a last resort. The last thing I want is to be sat at home on a Saturday whilst the team play.

The vibe I get from Mr Hutchison is that a dwindling support would just cause him to declare the business unsustainable and walk away before his five years are up, rather than being taken as a sign that he needs to do anything radically differently.