Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Are you not supposed to approach his employer first before giving him an interview?

Similarly seems odd that the club would state publicly that "no interviews will take place this week" last Wednesday then, you know, interview someone that week.

Don't get me wrong, if Danny Lennon has ruled himself out then I'm bloody ecstatic at that news.

Different starting points though weeyin - Tommy had a lot less quality at his disposal than Bara.

He had a winning team as a baseline. Baraclough had a team in serious decline. He was also allowed to buy players like Coyne, Cooper and Russell.

First season in the SPL we were saved by reconstruction. Later season we finished 9th out of 10 when relegation was reduced to bottom one instead of bottom 2.

He had a winning team as a baseline. Baraclough had a team in serious decline. He was also allowed to buy players like Coyne, Cooper and Russell.

First season in the SPL we were saved by reconstruction. Later season we finished 9th out of 10 when relegation was reduced to bottom one instead of bottom 2.

Yeah but as a starting point, the quality available to him wasn't there - as you say he added Coyne, Cooper and Russell, but the base squad at his disposal I don't think was of the same standard as that that Bara, or a new gaffer had/has - different era's I know, but with the level of player available, I hope we're not looking at another 4-5 year span before we see another team capable of challenging near the top of the table, though I think we might.

On another topic entirely - and purely to satisfy my curiosity, you don't happen to have 2 brothers and a father who holiday's in Lanzarote.

McLean took over a relegated team in the first division. Baraclough took over a struggling premier league team. At times McLeans tenure was torture, but you could never doubt he was playing to strengths and trying to move the team forward. From my point, time will tell if my assumption is right or wide of the mark. I just have a gut feeling he (Baraclough) really had no idea about the quality truly required. We may make a profit on some of his signings or they prove to be the backbone of a revived team, time will tell.

But this 'must have knowledge of the English lower leagues is something that could hold us back. It has to be the best man for the job and would be wise to involve someone with football experience in the selection process to ensure we don't get another Baraclough.

• Like 1

Alan Irvine hadn't crossed my mind, might be a decent shout.

Agree totally. He's got by far a better coaching background than the majority of the other names that have been mentioned. Academy director at Blackburn, Newcastle and academy manager at Everton alongside his obvious managerial stints.

Would be very happy if he was someone that was being considered. I'd have thought the West Brom job would have damaged his stock a fair bit and he's not a particularly fashionable name so he may be vaguely realistic unlike your Lambert and what have you.

Simo down to 2/1 with McBookie and 6/4 with Skybet.

Wouldn't take much note of bookie prices look at the last vacancy I'm sure Derek Adams price dropped to 1/2 at one point, the prices will change if a couple of folk place a bit of cash on one particular candidate which has no doubt happend as a result of posts on here

My guess is that with the Motherwell managers job only being of interest to a small group of folk, and since there's no real intelligence on who it is going to be, the market will change pretty quickly if a few people put money on one guy. So basically, it was Desp's fault.