Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Has he not been pretty gash in his managerial stints?

Did reasonably well with Preston (40.91% win %), relegated with Sheffield Wednesday (40.68%) after taking over in January but by all accounts they had two winding up orders while he was there.

Only WBA (22.73%) was what you'd say was a disaster but given the level it's hardly the worst failure.

Preston = 160/330 pts (48%)

Sheffield Weds = 85/177 pts (49%)

WBA = 21/66 pts (31%)

Given the club were saying they were looking to start interviews this week then with SJK being in a title run-in it'd seem fairly reasonable that our reps would go over there to interview rather than have him come over here.

Edit: The McGhee quotes are curious, significance is probably in what's between the lines. The club haven't been in touch but people he knows that have associations with both (staff? players?) have said it'd be a good thing for both parties. http://m.heraldscotland.com/sport/13805230.Mark_McGhee_refuses_to_rule_himself_out_of_running_for_Motherwell_job/

Much as I liked Simo Valakari as a player, it will be a huge change for all parties and we are in the middle of a season with a rebuilding job to do and a relegation battle to win. Might be too big an ask? Not saying no, but our previous Finnish manager was a bit of a car crash. Of course, it could be fantastic.

Half of me says lets just appoint Paolo Di Canio and sit back and enjoy the ride!

If the motive for getting rid of Baraclough was due to players not responding to his ways, I'd be amazed if we went down the Simo route.

My heart would love him back at Fir Park but my head says we need an experienced voice of authority just now.

I kind of see what you're saying there but the other way to look at it is if we bring in a known face who knows the players (and their reputations), then it may not be the fresh start we may need. A fresh set of eyes may be what we need.

Having said that, if United are going for Wright, I'd be surprised if we went for Valakari ahead of Paataleinen...

Acknowledging what's been said above about it being a limited market and it'll change quickly with a few people putting money on specific people that's McGhee now 10/1 from 33/1 on Skybet

McGhee keen on a return to club management according to the BBC, that may explain the odds shortening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34449702

McGhee keen on a return to club management according to the BBC, that may explain the odds shortening.

Yeah, there was a bit in The Herald I linked to earlier as well.

Odd quotes, part of me thinks he's at it; he's not ruled it out but it seems he's not applied for it. The club haven't spoken to him but "people who have associations there have suggested it'd be a good thing". I'd imagine the "people with associations" would be staff and possibly players.

Despite him being fairly non-committal the fact he's flying a kite about getting back into club management along with his former assistant being currently at the club, with Craigan (who he managed) on the staff along with Hammell, Lasley and Clarkson in the playing squad suggests that it could be quite an easy transition if he were to come back, certainly you'd assume there wouldn't be any need for a major back-room overhaul.

if theres anybody out there who genuinely thinks McGhee is a good bet, Skybet are giving you 20/1 this morning, while you'll get 66/1 with BetVictor.

I'd be inclined to keep my money in my wallet ;-)

if theres anybody out there who genuinely thinks McGhee is a good bet, Skybet are giving you 20/1 this morning, while you'll get 66/1 with BetVictor.

I'd be inclined to keep my money in my wallet ;-)

Wont be putting any money on it but i would take McGhee ahead of valakari, at this time i think he is the type of manager the club needs, we cant afford any more punts on relatively inexperienced managers

I kind of see what you're saying there but the other way to look at it is if we bring in a known face who knows the players (and their reputations), then it may not be the fresh start we may need. A fresh set of eyes may be what we need.

Having said that, if United are going for Wright, I'd be surprised if we went for Valakari ahead of Paataleinen...

Agree a fresh set of eyes are definitely needed but possibly more experience is required to deal with such a big squad that hasn't been pulling in one direction.

Wont be putting any money on it but i would take McGhee ahead of valakari, at this time i think he is the type of manager the club needs, we cant afford any more punts on relatively inexperienced managers

What you and most on here seem to forget, every managerial appointment at our club is a punt.

The type of manager the club needs ???

A media whore that'll be off to pastures new at the drop of a hat ??

If its stability you're looking for, then you wont find it in McGhee.

He gave us a good season with a fit squad, that much is true, but I think McGhee would now be best resigned to the history section of Motherwell F.C.

• Like 1

After the last way they went about choosing a manager I doubt Simo will get the job. Is the Finnish League any stronger than the Irish one ? Why not pick someone from the Junior Super Leagues if that's the level we are pitching at. Look at the records of Auchinleck, Linlithgow and Bo'ness Utd coaching staff !!!!! McGhee for me.

After the last way they went about choosing a manager I doubt Simo will get the job. Is the Finnish League any stronger than the Irish one ? Why not pick someone from the Junior Super Leagues if that's the level we are pitching at. Look at the records of Auchinleck, Linlithgow and Bo'ness Utd coaching staff !!!!! McGhee for me.

Surely the quality of the manager is more important than the quality of the league he's managing in?

The Scottish Premiership/1st Division is hardly comparable to the English Premiership but that hasn't stopped Alex Neil making the seamless transition from one to the other due to the fact he's simply an excellent young manager.

Does Valakari fall into that category? I honestly have no idea, I know next to nothing about his management career other than simple facts about the trophies he's won in his native country. He could be potentially be a very good young manager who needs a bigger platform or he could simply just be an average one doing well in a shite league.

It's really up to our board to try and find that out, however dismissing him out of hand when you know next to nothing about him is absurd.

• Like 7

With modern technology as it is why would you fly to another country for a prospective candidate to be interviewed? Skype?

Possible they've already done the Skype phase. Great though modern technology is, you can't beat meeting someone face to face to figure out what sort of things they're passionate about, when they might be telling porkies, etc.

• Like 1