Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

What you and most on here seem to forget, every managerial appointment at our club is a punt.

Some punts are bigger than others though...so I get the thinking behind the 'Simo is a risk' chat. That in no way means that I dont want Simo and want McGhee, but it cant be denied that McGhee would be a 'safer pair of hands' to get us out of the mire than Simo would.

On McGhee though, I enjoyed every second of the football produced in his 1st season, but there was always that niggling doubt that he'd be off as soon as some other Club showed him a bit of interest. In all honesty, I think he treated our Club rather shabbily with all his talk of Hearts, Celtic and Aberdeen jobs, and for this reason along with McCall I dont want him back anywhere near us.

The fact that he wants to come back given the abuse he recieved from our fans (honestly, not me) tells me a lot about the man as well...utterly desperate.

"Well 4 Europe" I don't think you fully understood my post re Simo. What I meant was the Board may look at the playing field the last Manager came from and liken that to the Standard Simo finds himself in now. Would they want to risk a similar type appointment since the last went tits up! I have no doubt Simo is a great young coach and would love him back at the club, I just dont think the Board will take the risk. I think they'll go for experience and SPFL experience at that, hence "McGhee"

How about going down an anarcho-syndicalist commune route. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week,...

but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major decisions...

I can see the logic in some of the points being made for the appointment of McGhee but then I remember the whole will he / won't he of him getting on the plane to see Romanov and the night spent looking at this website for updates. Perhaps someone could post a link to that thread to remind people how annoying the whole episode was.

After that the public courting of the Celtic job and later move to Aberdeen were just icing on the cake. Everyone moves on to another job but the way he went about it left a bad taste in the mouth and I'd be very surprised if we appointed him again.

Other than the alleged meeting in Finland, has there been any real information on who is in the running? Seems at the moment that all we have is a twitter rumour based on a Wikipedia edit, based on bookies odds, which are based on a tweet that was probably started on here.

Other than the alleged meeting in Finland, has there been any real information on who is in the running? Seems at the moment that all we have is a twitter rumour based on a Wikipedia edit, based on bookies odds, which are based on a tweet that was probably started on here.

Well this is a bit awks after all the chat from the past day or so: https://twitter.com/scottmullen87/status/651436909705752576

End of the day, McGhee might be a bit of a cunt, but he is still a better manager than Baraclough.

Get Gary McCallister in. The guys sound as fuck and goes up in my estimations after he gave a few fist pumps to some dirty spunk rag Rangers fans after we scudded them 6-1.

Yeah I remember he said something along the lines of not wanting to manage a club where he'd have to sell "any player that can trap a ball." OTOH he has been more than complimentary to us with his BT Sport punditry over the past few years.

Can't see it, but would happily take McCallister.

Gary McCallister grew up a Motherwell fan. Didn't he get the BT cameraman to show his brother in his Motherwell scarf sat in the POD before the start of second playoff?

If I recall, he was in the running around the time McCall got the job and it was around then that he publicly made the comment about selling all talent.

His CV says coach first and foremost and manager a comparably poor second. There are very few managers who survive the heart of their team being ripped out and even less allowed time to rebuild or maintain momentum.

I really like the guy (maybe cos he's one of us and ain't shy of saying so) but worry about this whole club legend, Motherwell man infatuation.

We don't need a love in, we need a brave man willing to kick some arse!!!!

• Like 3

His CV says coach first and foremost and manager a comparably poor second.

I thought this as well with his stint at Coventry however based on numbers alone he actually did better than I thought at Leeds. 50 games, win% of 50% and +23 GD.

My argument would be that what we need is someone who is a good, tactically aware coach first and foremost. Watching us for the last 18 months or so we've notably lacked cohesion, organisation and structure on the park.

The fact we still can't defend cross balls and make the same mistakes week in week out is telling. For me, that improves with coaching on the training ground and someone in charge who knows that job.

I have no idea whether Gary McAllister would be interested in the job or not or whether he'd be a realistic option. However, as I've said before, with this appointment I think it's essential that the football committee prioritise the applicants coaching credentials over their broader overarching 'community club' criteria.

After the last way they went about choosing a manager I doubt Simo will get the job. Is the Finnish League any stronger than the Irish one ? Why not pick someone from the Junior Super Leagues if that's the level we are pitching at. Look at the records of Auchinleck, Linlithgow and Bo'ness Utd coaching staff !!!!! McGhee for me.

Our league same level than Scottish league without having Celtic. But when talking about fun culture difference huge compared to Scottish League. Football not that big thing here in Finland. SJK different kind of club couse we also focus small things and players dont need to worry about anything when being here. Budget now about 2 milion euros and its going to double next season. They are building new football stadium here, its ready next season when hopefully playing Champions League games. Few weeks ago Liverpool send their new Brazilian £500 000 signing our club so we surely has some quality our club. You guys need to be fast before Liverpool contact Simo, prepare giving some cash :biggrin:

I'd be quite happy to wait till then. Right man for the job in my opinion.

Out of curiosity something else, on what basis?

I could probably tell you dozens I didn't want but I can't really say that any of the supposed main candidates stand out for me with Valakari's suitability the most difficult of all to gauge for me because I have no real idea of the standard of that league and what level his achievements should be ranked. How is he the right man for you?